Myanmar man killed by bus at zebra crossing

webfact

Myanmar man killed by bus at zebra crossing

By The Nation

xing.jpg

FILE photo

A bus failed to stop at a zebra crossing in Samut Prakan’s Bag Plee district, hitting and killing a Myanmar man on Thursday night, police said.

Police said the 9pm accident occurred on the King Kaew Klong Khud road in front of the Bang Plee Niwet housing estate in Tambon Bang Plee.

The victim was identified as Poi Wai Aung 26. His body was dragged along the road hit before the bus stopped.

The employee transport was driven by Supoj Promnil, 62, who is facing a charge of reckless driving causing death.

Supoj said he saw the man crossing the road at the zebra crossing and so slowed the bus in anticipation that the man would get across before his bus arrived at the crossing.

But Supoj said the man hesitated and paused and then ran to cut in front of the bus and he was unable to stop in time. He braked and swerved the bus into the barrier of the road island, but still hit the man, the driver told police.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376449

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-20

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Very sad. The thought of allowing people to cross safely here is such a foreign concept to so many drivers here. It's one of the first things I tell friends and family who visit me here; cars won't stop at zebra crossings. 

The right thing to say is that "vehicles won't stop for any reason unless it suits the driver" ????

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I am a bus driver, i dont stop for nobody, disgusting individual, jail him for a long time.

Depending on circumstances the bus driver has responsibility for the 45-50 or so passengers on the bus. The reason they don't swerve for animals, etc.. 

Did say he slowed. 

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Depending on circumstances the bus driver has responsibility for the 45-50 or so passengers on the bus. The reason they don't swerve for animals, etc.. 

Did say he slowed. 

The bus driver said he slowed, that means sod all, when do drivers here involved in accidents ever tell the truth?

My wife & I, a few days ago, were crossing the road, there was a car coming towards us & plenty of time to get across.

Then, some pulled out from behind the oncoming car, no time to do anything, & we very nearly got mown down.

I just roared very loudly at him, petrified.

We were ok obviously, & he, didn't stop.

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Did say he slowed. 

what a stupid comment. 

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Many drivers do not know the traffic rules or do not follow the traffic rules.
No wonder Thailand is No1, worldwide in traffic deaths.

It isn't number 1, a few Africa countries come before Thailand; its around number 5 and mainly due to motorbike accidents, but your point is still valid, that it is a dangerous place on the roads. 

38 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It isn't number 1, a few Africa countries come before Thailand; its around number 5 and mainly due to motorbike accidents, but your point is still valid, that it is a dangerous place on the roads. 

"The road death rate in Thailand is a matter of extreme concern as the country now ranks first, surpassing the deadliest country in the last survey, Libya," Thaejing Siripanit, secretary-general of the Don't Drive Drunk Foundation, told the seminar.

From BP, 12 DEC 2017 

Screenshot_2019-09-20_183942.jpg

I had to make a uTurn all time near my house on a major road, and I bet something like this might have happened to this pedestrian.  If he was on a center divider ...he had time to run across the first lane, but the bus decided to what I call ...go wide ....change into the next lane ....drivers often do this.

I would have time to cut across one lane, but in that second lane I would be slower and making a real turn there ....they would decide to go there once I was in the lane even though I wasn’t going to slow them down.  Now you can’t stop in the first lane there are other cars coming, and now the bus in this case has changed to second lane?  A pedestrian is not going to be able to move across two lanes very quickly just like in a U turn?  But could cross one if the idiot just stayed in his lane ...but they go wide and speed up too, often times.  That might be why the guy stopped, hesitated, didn’t know where to go  in this story ...and the bus is lying about his slowing down.  

I never understood why why they do this, it almost looks like they are trying to aim at people!!!

10 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Very sad. The thought of allowing people to cross safely here is such a foreign concept to so many drivers here. It's one of the first things I tell friends and family who visit me here; cars won't stop at zebra crossings. 

Coz there are no Zebras in Thailand 

I could bet that the men who painted the zebra crossing on the road don't eve not know what they are for let alone most of the population.

i asked my mrs what's the difference between a continuous white line in the middle of the road and striped lines.she said its to save paint.good answer but not quite right my love.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

"The road death rate in Thailand is a matter of extreme concern as the country now ranks first, surpassing the deadliest country in the last survey, Libya," Thaejing Siripanit, secretary-general of the Don't Drive Drunk Foundation, told the seminar.

From BP, 12 DEC 2017 

Screenshot_2019-09-20_183942.jpg

It all depends on which list you care to believe. In haven't come across one on google that puts LOS at number one.  It seems to range between No 4 and No 8. Not that it matters to the dead people.  

11 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Furthermore, they often accelerate to make you understand that you are the one who has to stop.

Archived