LOng pants required

phuketrichard

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Long pants are too hot for me and for sure I am not alone. Then they should make a room outside the immigration where one can change the dress. 

It’s all about respect (In their eyes). Same with any government institution.
Get used to it because I very much doubt if it will change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Surprised a local hasn’t set up stall renting sarongs outside !!

Great idea! Like I have seen at some Thai temples so that the less savvy, cargo-shorted farang can still experience.... whatever one's supposed to experience at a Thai temple.

I can imagine the subconsciously homophobic ex-RSM Grouse and Buster Bloodvessel types getting all het up and refusing to 'wear a damn skirt' though.

It seems to be subjective in Hkt town. I always were long pants and a collared shirt when I go in. I think the signs say that longs must be worn but sometimes one goes in and the grubs are in shorts and flip flops but don't seem to get kicked out. Personally I think that anyone going into a public office should be properly dressed. Now I have the dilemma of what to wear going through the Drive Thru- I needed something to do this weekend and shall ponder it at length.????

@phuketrichard

We've warned you before about forgetting to put PHUKET in the title????

Stand by for eleventy million pages of 'well in XXXXX we do this.'

4 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Some when to this week to Phuket immigration and was told to leave and come back wearing Long pants?
is this now a requirement??

before it was nice shorts and a  sleeved shirt

it has never been shorts. you are just unaware of what you are doing.

you are disrespecting the process and Thai culture by wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops. i have been telling everyone this for years.

you should dress like you are going to a important business meeting. because you are.

and very important at banks.

no wonder so many expats have problems with immigration and opening bank accounts. 

It's a matter of respect. It's not considered polite to wear shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. at government offices. At Chaeng Wattana there are signs that tell you to dress properly with pictures showing what is inappropriate and what is not. Although, I see plenty of people wearing shorts that aren't kicked out. Pretty much the same dress code as temples. When my future may depend on an immigration officer approving or not approving my extension, I don't take any chances and always wear long pants and a collared shirt,

42 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

After living here for nearly 2 decades. I don't own a pair of pants. 

I used to buy them in Big C for 99 baht a pair but now with the weak GBP they are cheaper in the UK at 4 quid for 3 pairs in Primark. They can double up as swimming trunks.

I did my 90-day report and asked some questions barefoot yesterday at Chiang Mai Imm. Had a good reason, though. The road out front was flooded, and I had to park across the road. Didn't want to soak my good shoes, so waded across barefoot. Nobody inside batted an eye.

1 minute ago, stephehr said:

I always wear long pants at immigration shows respect for the authority

That's very true. I remember 35 years ago on work assignment in Indonesia. Had to see a doctor. He would not see me as I was in shorts. Smart shorts, shirt, etc.  Learned that lesson a long time ago. But Phuket Immigration always more relaxed as long as respectful dressed.

Just now, LivinginKata said:

That's very true. I remember 35 years ago on work assignment in Indonesia. Had to see a doctor. He would not see me as I was in shorts. Smart shorts, shirt, etc.  Learned that lesson a long time ago. But Phuket Immigration always more relaxed as long as respectful dressed.

But for sure he was happy to get your money. I would never have consulted and even paid for such a "doctor". 

1 hour ago, hansgruber said:

After living here for nearly 2 decades. I don't own a pair of pants. 

Gosh

What happens if you are invited out for dinner, or perhaps a function at a decent hotel or to a black tie do at the embassy?

90 days - wear shorts - only takes a minute.

Extension of stay- or even renewing a driving licence- always look very smart - it makes a difference.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

it has never been shorts. you are just unaware of what you are doing.

you are disrespecting the process and Thai culture by wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops. i have been telling everyone this for years.

you should dress like you are going to a important business meeting. because you are.

and very important at banks.

no wonder so many expats have problems with immigration and opening bank accounts. 

You don’t get it. Perhaps your English is not good. What you meant to say is you should dress like you are PRETENDING to go to an important business meeting. You go on and on about this on many  posts. It is NOT an important business meeting. Now do you get it? 

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

Long pants are too hot for me and for sure I am not alone. Then they should make a room outside the immigration where one can change the dress. 

I went to Chiang Mai University to study, and before attending was told we had to dress in a semi formal manner.  They directed me to a Thai clothing store nearby, and I got outfitted for dressing well in a hot environment, during the smoky season when it was regularly over 105 degrees out.  I got slacks, shirts and sports jackets that were strong, durable and paper thin.  I swear, I felt cooler in those clothes than my shorts and t-shirts.  They protected me from the sun, and if I'd worn anything from the US in that style, I would have had a heat stroke.  I got everything in the Thai work blues, and the women liked it.

=

10 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

What about my recently purchased $300 Armani jeans, will they be ok?

As long as they're in a gaudy colour and follow official Thailand colour patterns, you'll be fine, e.g. if they're pink, wear them to Immigration on a Tuesday, if they're yellow, schedule your visit for Monday, etc. 

Archived