LOng pants required

phuketrichard

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

Gosh

What happens if you are invited out for dinner, or perhaps a function at a decent hotel or to a black tie do at the embassy?

90 days - wear shorts - only takes a minute.

Extension of stay- or even renewing a driving licence- always look very smart - it makes a difference.

Nobody ever invites me for a dinner. What do I have to do to look smart? Please help. I really want to make a difference! At the moment every Soi Dog still has more rights than me. If I bite one I will end up in jail. If they bite me I will end up in a clinic and pay and suffer a lot. How can I change this? 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You don’t get it. Perhaps your English is not good. What you meant to say is you should dress like you are PRETENDING to go to an important business meeting. You go on and on about this on many  posts. It is NOT an important business meeting. Now do you get it? 

perception is reality

6 minutes ago, Dolmance said:

I went to Chiang Mai University to study, and before attending was told we had to dress in a semi formal manner.  They directed me to a Thai clothing store nearby, and I got outfitted for dressing well in a hot environment, during the smoky season when it was regularly over 105 degrees out.  I got slacks, shirts and sports jackets that were strong, durable and paper thin.  I swear, I felt cooler in those clothes than my shorts and t-shirts.  They protected me from the sun, and if I'd worn anything from the US in that style, I would have had a heat stroke.  I got everything in the Thai work blues, and the women liked it.

=

Great. But since you have been there in the "smokey season" why did they not give a (gas) mask too? They only cared about your dress but not about your health? I understand. Was not so important because the local is women liked it. How did you benefit from this? 

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's called your car. Not a problem.

Thank you for this advice. There is only one tiny problem - "It's called your car". I don't have and don't want one. But now I understand that I really need one. How I could I be that stupid not to see such an easy fix for changing my clothes. I will buy one tomorrow. 

It's a funny old world, in a relatively short space of time folks consider shorts to be an acceptable form of dress for all occasions, when I first moved to Thailand 30+ years ago NOBODY wore shorts, nor could you buy shorts in the shops! Standards have changed, perception hasn't!

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Second option is take a pair of pants with you and change in the toilets before going in the office. I am assuming they have a toilets??? 

Yes. But they are in the imigration at least here at Pattaya. Until now I always changed my T-shirt with one with long sleeves between cars outside the immigration. I am not kidding now. I suffer a lot from the heat. Hopefully they don't put me into jail if I change in the future my whole dress between the cars. I am not a pervert. I am just a person who has to go to the immigration. 

Perhaps I really should give in and move to an other country... 

1 hour ago, gjoo888 said:

It's a matter of respect. It's not considered polite to wear shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. at government offices. At Chaeng Wattana there are signs that tell you to dress properly with pictures showing what is inappropriate and what is not. Although, I see plenty of people wearing shorts that aren't kicked out. Pretty much the same dress code as temples. When my future may depend on an immigration officer approving or not approving my extension, I don't take any chances and always wear long pants and a collared shirt,

Just wear a uniform and problem solved lol then they will feel comfortable talking with you 

Wasn't this a "thing" about 1 or 2 years ago?  Might be a boomerang. 

Got traction for a while, BKK/CW was hot and heavy, seem to recall this "Good Idea" originated from there. 

My Immi Office put up the required sign.  It got moved around and wound up in a far corner with the broken queue ticket generating machine for a while, and then gone.

Hopefully the TM30 "good idea" follows the same, well-worn path.

22 minutes ago, CGW said:

It's a funny old world, in a relatively short space of time folks consider shorts to be an acceptable form of dress for all occasions, when I first moved to Thailand 30+ years ago NOBODY wore shorts, nor could you buy shorts in the shops! Standards have changed, perception hasn't!

I was wondering why you old guys can’t just wear pants for the whole day to immigration but feel you need to change when there, like if it was a bathing suit before going into a pool?   Where I lived in Thailand almost nobody wore shorts for anything except cleaning your house, yard work, I guess, maybe the odd fat tuk tuk driver wears some but I haven’t really talked to one of those in a decade.  Personally I hardly had any shorts after a few years here ....you really won’t pass out and die from wearing pants.

3 minutes ago, amykat said:

I was wondering why you old guys can’t just wear pants for the whole day to immigration but feel you need  ....you really won’t pass out and die from wearing pants.

YOU take yourself as measurement for other people. And this is a problem. Not for you. But perhaps for people around you... 

Not a problem to me, I always wear long pants. The only thing briefer I have is my swimsuit.

I don't see Thais in official positions wearing shorts. Labourers on building sites, yes. So I suppose it's about respecting a dress code.

If you think that's bad, try playing golf on the better courses in Scotland. I changed in and out of a jacket and tie so often I got RSI.

24 minutes ago, amykat said:

Personally I hardly had any shorts after a few years here ....you really won’t pass out and die from wearing pants.

I never wore shorts for the first ten years I was here, never hurt me, are shorts that much cooler than a pair of slacks - I think not!

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I can't imagine not wearing long pants when visiting any immigration office, and I have always done so.

30+ years here, never wore long pants, always nice shorts and a collared shirt,
30+ years here never had a problem at immigration as well

Psimbo;

We've warned you before about forgetting to put PHUKET in the title

its in the PHUKET FORUM section

and the first line states  ...to Phuket immigration

now bug off, didn't realize you were the owner here.

27 minutes ago, Beggar said:

YOU take yourself as measurement for other people. And this is a problem. Not for you. But perhaps for people around you... 

I suggest you reflect that mirror back to yourself where it belongs.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Great idea! Like I have seen at some Thai temples so that the less savvy, cargo-shorted farang can still experience.... whatever one's supposed to experience at a Thai temple.

I can imagine the subconsciously homophobic ex-RSM Grouse and Buster Bloodvessel types getting all het up and refusing to 'wear a damn skirt' though.

Yeah well, do they understand that many good brave fighters in WW11 work "skirts" across Asia, and that "dresses" are almost universal across to middle eastern countries for men, and of course the Scots

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Nobody ever invites me for a dinner. What do I have to do to look smart? Please help. I really want to make a difference! At the moment every Soi Dog still has more rights than me. If I bite one I will end up in jail. If they bite me I will end up in a clinic and pay and suffer a lot. How can I change this? 

It’s terribly easy - rent a Rolls or Bentley with a chauffeur for the evening- get a smart suit made by Mr Singh - turn up at some HiSo charity event . There you go- you will have endless invitations . 

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You don’t get it. Perhaps your English is not good. What you meant to say is you should dress like you are PRETENDING to go to an important business meeting. You go on and on about this on many  posts. It is NOT an important business meeting. Now do you get it? 

Important if they refuse you an extension to stay

15 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

It’s terribly easy - rent a Rolls or Bentley with a chauffeur for the evening- get a smart suit made by Mr Singh - turn up at some HiSo charity event . There you go- you will have endless invitations . 

Thank you for your advice. And I idiot always tried to survive on expired street food. But where can I find a chauffeur? 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

it has never been shorts. you are just unaware of what you are doing.

you are disrespecting the process and Thai culture by wearing shorts, tee shirts and flip flops. i have been telling everyone this for years.

you should dress like you are going to a important business meeting. because you are.

and very important at banks.

no wonder so many expats have problems with immigration and opening bank accounts. 

"very important at banks.", is this the place where you lend them money and they give you peanuts back in exchange, or take all of it if they fail, then if they lend you money, charge you a fortune for it? I love getting dressed up to get screwed by someone..........

Archived