LOng pants required

phuketrichard

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, amykat said:

Can you speak any French?  What about Agadir Morocco?  That has a nice climate and not very expensive and has expats, kind of modern apartments I think for rent if you like that.  Good food.  

Agadir is so far away. And I moved so many times in my life. Got tired of moving and starting again and again. When you are younger it's interesting. But my "Best Before Date" was perhaps 10 years ago. And now I enjoy a more quiet lifestyle. Not completely correct. I HAVE TO enjoy a more quiet lifestyle. 

30 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Decent shorts and a nice shirt should be appropriate enough in a hot country.

A lot of people are properly dressed to go to funerals/weddings..., even in a hot country.

If they are asked why, their answer is: out of respect.

It takes a little to show respect in many other situations. 

Casual clothes are for casual events. 

2 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Decent shorts and a nice shirt should be appropriate enough in a hot country.

Can't imagine why Thais are so pernickity about such things. 

From what I recall on TVF about 2 years ago, this dress code thing was the brainchild of a mid-ranking Immi officer somewhere in the BKK HQ puzzle palace.   I'm sure he got an AttaBoy for putting forward a "Good Idea" to tighten up on the sloppiness. 

Right around that time, I went to my Immi Office for a 90-day or extension (can't recall exactly), and was tickled to see all the I/Os were in traditional Thai costumes.  Seriously.  Grown men and women, government law enforcement agents who, on one hand, act tough and demand respect on Monday, then are compelled to play dress up like Kindergarten students, on Tuesday.  Except for the lady office boss, who was surveying operations with a stern face as usual, in her tight, military style uniform and spit-shined bunny rabbit house slippers.  ????

23 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Trousers not pants!

Oh thank God at last !  Got to page 4 and all I have seen are pants, boy's pants , girls pants , time to come clean , TROUSERS.

I don't own a pair of trousers , I do own pants but also called boxers. And although NCC.. has told us many times what to wear to Imm. I have often replied I wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt and slip on shoes , never had a proplem , courtesy counts at Imm. and I have an Oz. mate who goes to Imm. wearing Lanna pants ( his word not mine ) and sometimes Bombay bloomers, he too has never had a problem . I could wear jeans but I would rather wear shorts , jeans I wear on my motorbike , so there.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Any first hand Phuket experience. I go for annual extension this week. Usually wear smart shorts for many years. Will this be ejected ... ?

did mine in July, shorts to my knees. no problem, BUT no farang immigration "helpers" downstairs   :-)
I've never worn long pants

On 9/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, DILLIGAD said:

It’s all about respect (In their eyes). Same with any government institution.
Get used to it because I very much doubt if it will change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all respect, but I'd never go to the Immigration, or other government offices in shorts and flip flops...

how is this an issue? 

call me foolish, but short of my yard, a quick run to the shops or otherwise, I have never worn shorts to anything of import.

my years down on the islands taught that long pants went on after sundown, and only the tourists wore shorts after dark.

to date, if im leaving the house for any amount of time ill at least throw on a pair of jeans.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, RocketDog said:

This is a tired topic.

Take the time to dress to show respect and to receive it.

Being hot for a few hours won't kill you. Suck it up Buttercup.

personally i have never seen a pair of long pants as particularly hot.

if they are prohibitively hot, the climate may not be for you

9 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Any first hand Phuket experience. I go for annual extension this week. Usually wear smart shorts for many years. Will this be ejected ... ?

I made it a very clear cut post. Specific to Phuket. Based on experience. But the TV trollers just have to inject an irrelevant post and likely live in  Nakon Somewhere.  This is very tiring.

I thank those local members who added value to my question. 

20 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

personally i have never seen a pair of long pants as particularly hot.

if they are prohibitively hot, the climate may not be for you

Agreed. I addressed that complaint because it seems to be  common.

I'm thin and habitually wear jeans when I leave the house, and as some protection on my motorcycle.

I water shorts around home and have noted that I'm a bit hotter in jeans, but not greatly.

If Thai agencies/people are positively influenced by long pants I'm happy to comply.

I know heavier people suffer more from the heat, so they have a more difficult decision to make.

16 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Agreed. I addressed that complaint because it seems to be  common.

I'm thin and habitually wear jeans when I leave the house, and as some protection on my motorcycle.

I water shorts around home and have noted that I'm a bit hotter in jeans, but not greatly.

If Thai agencies/people are positively influenced by long pants I'm happy to comply.

I know heavier people suffer more from the heat, so they have a more difficult decision to make.

If you're staying in a tourist area,near a beach etc, there's no immigration office or bank that demands long pants,they are totally ok with proper shorts down to at least the knees with pockets. They don't want people to wear shorts you normally wear at the beach. It's just common sense. 

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you're staying in a tourist area,near a beach etc, there's no immigration office or bank that demands long pants,they are totally ok with proper shorts down to at least the knees with pockets. They don't want people to wear shorts you normally wear at the beach. It's just common sense. 

Agreed, luckily for me I generally prefer long pants and wear them at night when I go out as well. I and my Lady like to dress up a bit for each other on those occasions.

Someone should explain to this tourist heading into Patong Immigration that she is inappropriately dressed.

A bunch of geriatric Brits living in the north of Thailand and with 18th century standards have so decreed.

shorts.JPG

On 9/21/2019 at 3:59 PM, 55Jay said:

From what I recall on TVF about 2 years ago, this dress code thing was the brainchild of a mid-ranking Immi officer somewhere in the BKK HQ puzzle palace.   I'm sure he got an AttaBoy for putting forward a "Good Idea" to tighten up on the sloppiness. 

Right around that time, I went to my Immi Office for a 90-day or extension (can't recall exactly), and was tickled to see all the I/Os were in traditional Thai costumes.  Seriously.  Grown men and women, government law enforcement agents who, on one hand, act tough and demand respect on Monday, then are compelled to play dress up like Kindergarten students, on Tuesday.  Except for the lady office boss, who was surveying operations with a stern face as usual, in her tight, military style uniform and spit-shined bunny rabbit house slippers.  ????

clothing appropriate to a situation is hardly a new idea.

it has been a constant throughout my years in thailand, and will remain so.

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

clothing appropriate to a situation is hardly a new idea.

it has been a constant throughout my years in thailand, and will remain so.

Quite right. This topic is about visits to Phuket Immigration.

Tourists seeking an extension of their beach holiday on this tropical Island don't need to dress in the same way as someone going into an office building in the capital of Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Quite right. This topic is about visits to Phuket Immigration.

Tourists seeking an extension of their beach holiday on this tropical Island don't need to dress in the same way as someone going into an office building in the capital of Thailand.

exactly, i honestly cant imagine where it would be any different.

personally i cant imagine why anyone would do anything in a city or town wearing board shorts.

proper shorts have their place as well, but generally speaking i would wear long pants to do anything resembling business  or  late afternoon evening.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:53 PM, gjoo888 said:

It's a matter of respect. It's not considered polite to wear shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. at government offices. At Chaeng Wattana there are signs that tell you to dress properly with pictures showing what is inappropriate and what is not. Although, I see plenty of people wearing shorts that aren't kicked out. Pretty much the same dress code as temples. When my future may depend on an immigration officer approving or not approving my extension, I don't take any chances and always wear long pants and a collared shirt,

Signs are posted at many border crossings to dress respectfully yet are often ignored. Maybe that is why after nineteen years i have NEVER had a problem with Thai Immigration, at the border crossings, the Thai police and Thai military. Dress like a slob just about anywhere do not expect to be treated with much respect. My hunch is this is why so many foreigners have such a difficult time everywhere they go. Your manners and how you dress. Many of the foreigners both tourist and expat men and women look like they crawled out of a dumpster.

Archived