Today is D-Day! New traffic laws will "lessen conflict" between public and cops

webfact

Today is D-Day! New traffic laws will "lessen conflict" between public and cops

2pm_VI.jpg

Picture: TNA

New traffic laws come into place today that mean traffic police can no longer confiscate driving licences. 

Motorists who break traffic laws will get tickets through the post. 

TNA reported that the move will make things easier for the public.

And they spoke to a veteran traffic cop on checkpoints for ten years who said that the new law will "lessen conflict between the police and the public". 

There had been "misunderstandings" in the past over traffic laws, he said. 

And what with people on social media suggesting ways around the law it had all become a mess. 

From now on drivers and riders can show evidence of a licence by producing their card in the traditional way or by using the DLT QR LICENCE app. 

The new system will also have the benefit of licences not being lost as has happened in the past. 

It is also hoped that the problem of the huge number of unpaid fines will be addressed. 

TNA said that out of 13 million fines issued only 2.6 million or 20% had been paid.

A system connecting the police to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) will be fully up and running on October 1st meaning that people who don't pay fines will not be able to renew tax rendering their vehicles illegal on the road. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-20

13 minutes ago, cooked said:

The "DLT QR LICENCE app. " is  to be had in Thai only and I had great difficulties getting the app to work. In addition, you must have your physical driving license with you at all times, so what's the point?

This is Thailand so it makes a lot of sense that it's in Thai.

You can carry your license and don't worry about the app. Problem solved.

14 minutes ago, cooked said:

The "DLT QR LICENCE app. " is  to be had in Thai only and I had great difficulties getting the app to work. In addition, you must have your physical driving license with you at all times, so what's the point?

I found the app easy to use and had it set up in a couple of mins, also read this :

From now on drivers and riders can show evidence of a licence by producing their card in the traditional way or by using the DLT QR LICENCE app. 

in Australia it has been the law that you must carry a drivers licence when driving at all times for years, if caught without it you face a fine, I can see nothing wrong with Thailand doing the same thing. Now police can no longer take your licence  is law it should stop a some of the corrupt cops demanding you pay them to not do it, the issuing of fines only may not stop some of the corruption though as you will still get those that dont want fines and point removal done on them as well as cops that want their customary tea money to remain, only time will tell. As for not paying fines, the police need to start putting cars/bikes off the roads if they dont pay  or to seize them until they are, some thais just dont like parting with money if they think they can get away with it unfortunately so will be interesting to see what actually happens

With many Thai drivers believing they have the right to go just where they please, drive on the wrong side or as fast as they wish I fail to see how halting the confiscation of a license can make much difference. When they get stopped they will still argue they did nothing wrong. Imagining this will make more people pay fines is a joke. Many paid only to get a license back and will now just insist the fine never arrived in the post.

waste of time, i am sure everyone owns a POCKET, or just keep it under the seat of your bike, they need to hammer the ones who just dont bother about getting a licence, oh ,, silly me, i did post about 3 girl in my bar sans licence, when i questioned them, their reply was frightened of FAILING (so losing FACE) so they are merrily riding around with no licence and no insurance, but hey ho, thay aint lost FACE ha ha

One thing I have never understood is people's issue with showing their licence when stopped by the police?

I always have my licence in my wallet, and when I drive my car I always have my wallet.

If people are so forgetful perhaps they should just leave the licence in their car / motorbike. 

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

What he actually means is that many Thais believe they are exempt from all traffic laws.

2 hours ago, JoePai said:

I found the app easy to use and had it set up in a couple of mins, also read this :

Well bully for you. This isn't the first time I've used an app. I couldn't make it work.

The law remains the same: you MUST carry your driving license at all times.

51 minutes ago, cooked said:

Well bully for you. This isn't the first time I've used an app. I couldn't make it work.

The law remains the same: you MUST carry your driving license at all times.

Oh dear, ok then, I managed to get the app working so maybe try harder ?

As for the DL, I quote you " In addition, you must have your physical driving license with you at all times, so what's the point?"

Again I will say incorrect you do not, you can leave your physical DL at home and show the app on your phone

Next ?

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

I also found it very easy, unusual for Thailand and you can set it so it doesn’t track your position only when your using the app it has your location.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is Thailand so it makes a lot of sense that it's in Thai.

You can carry your license and don't worry about the app. Problem solved.

Or just use the app, it is the first official app, which is really working. And it is a legal replacement for the license, don't worry to lose it.

At least all this is a start towards more enforcement. Next target should be the morons who paint out their number plates. Aren't  they announcing their intention to break the law?

Oh I forgot. The laws apply to everyone - except me. That must have been the misunderstanding.

In the UK it was always recommended that you DO NOT carry your vehicle docs - insurance, DL etc as it gives car thieves just the info they want.  When stopped you were given 5 days to produce your documents at a police station.  That was before ANPR which is able to check driver licences, tax paid, insurance, stolen cars etc.

In a recent survey 30% of Thai drivers admitted not having a licence.  If no licence unlikely to have insurance.  If police are serious about reducing accidents they should start by removing all drivers without licences, all drivers who drive down the wrong side of he road (dozens do so even in Ratchadamoen - the road with all the ministries) and those that go through red lights.  After that driving in BKK will be a dream as there will be no Thai drivers left.

10 hours ago, seajae said:

in Australia it has been the law that you must carry a drivers licence when driving at all times for years, if caught without it you face a fine, I can see nothing wrong with Thailand doing the same thing. Now police can no longer take your licence  is law it should stop a some of the corrupt cops demanding you pay them to not do it, the issuing of fines only may not stop some of the corruption though as you will still get those that dont want fines and point removal done on them as well as cops that want their customary tea money to remain, only time will tell. As for not paying fines, the police need to start putting cars/bikes off the roads if they dont pay  or to seize them until they are, some thais just dont like parting with money if they think they can get away with it unfortunately so will be interesting to see what actually happens

wrong

VICTORIA 

In Victoria if you're a fully qualified driver over the age of 26, the answer is no.

But if stopped by police drivers do need to provide some form of ID, so carrying a licence is recommended.

'If you've committed any offence, you need to be able to prove who you are,' Leading Senior Constable Pat Allan from Bendigo's highway patrol unit told

QUEENSLAND 

Queensland law is similar to Victorian Law.

According to the Queensland Department of Transport, 'if you are a provisional or learner licence holder, you must carry your licence with you when you are driving and show it to a police officer if asked.

'However, if you hold an open licence and are driving a car or riding a motorcycle, you may be given 48 hours to present your licence at a police station.'

Fines for failing to present a licence can set drivers back up to $150. 

the Bendigo Advertiser. 

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Things are a little laxer out west, where drivers do not need to carry their licence on them when behind the wheel.

But if pulled over by WA Police and asked to identify themselves, a driver must show their licence at a police station within a 'reasonable amount of time.'  

SOUTH AUSTRALIA 

In South Australia the law is similar to Queensland.   

Drivers must produce their licences when requested by a police officer, either immediately or to a specified police station within 48 hours.

NSW , Tasmania,  NT fine you

Da Roadrunner, by nature, is a serial offender on the roads and found sometimes the Thai way works best. It is usually cheaper to pay the BIB on the spot than waste time going to the Police station and pay more. If they insist on giving me a ticket I just throw it away as there is no Police office at my DLT. Amazing Thailand. Imagine doing that in your home country.

In the UK, watching a reality TV series, they are be able to seize or confiscate the vehicle on the spot for any number reasons such as being driven by an uninsured or unlicensed driver, taxes not paid, etc. This is often based on use ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system.

Do think it should the same in Thailand? It would certainly get the attention of the Thais, but are there enough flatbeds/tow trucks on the planet and how many millions of rai of vehicle storage would be needed?

9 hours ago, HHTel said:

In the UK it was always recommended that you DO NOT carry your vehicle docs - insurance, DL etc as it gives car thieves just the info they want.  When stopped you were given 5 days to produce your documents at a police station.  That was before ANPR which is able to check driver licences, tax paid, insurance, stolen cars etc.

ANPR most emphatically does NOT check drivers' licences. The V5 vehicle registration document does not hold details of the individual other than name and address of the registered keeper.

ANPR can see if the vehicle is stolen, taxed, MOTd and insured. It cannot see if the driver has a licence - after all, who says the driver is the holder of the registration document?

Archived