Today is D-Day! New traffic laws will "lessen conflict" between public and cops

webfact

7 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

In the UK, watching a reality TV series, they are be able to seize or confiscate the vehicle on the spot for any number reasons such as being driven by an uninsured or unlicensed driver, taxes not paid, etc. This is often based on use ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system.

Do think it should the same in Thailand? It would certainly get the attention of the Thais, but are there enough flatbeds/tow trucks on the planet and how many millions of rai of vehicle storage would be needed?

When a vehicle is seized in the UK, the registered keeper has 15 days to reclaim it or it will be 'disposed of'.  i.e. crushed.

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It is also hoped that the problem of the huge number of unpaid fines will be addressed. 

"TNA said that out of 13 million fines issued only 2.6 million or 20% had been paid."

All the best with one

Which means that the 80% who have not paid their fines will have a big surprise when it comes to renewing their PoLoBo;
this mandatory document, which is attached to the windshield of vehicles or to the bodywork of the two motorized wheels, is issued by prefectures and sub-prefectures;
if fine not paid, no issue of the document in question.

22 hours ago, cooked said:

The "DLT QR LICENCE app. " is  to be had in Thai only and I had great difficulties getting the app to work. In addition, you must have your physical driving license with you at all times, so what's the point?

GOOD QUESTION.....BUT WHERE ARE YOU??

YOUR IN THAILAND !!!

22 hours ago, Lungstib said:

When they get stopped they will still argue they did nothing wrong. 

No they will not argue,reason..They must no pay cash money !!

and whats later it doesnt matter (better an expensive sign, as a cheap solution and cash pay).

I know it from expirience

The unpayed fines will explode. and maybe the drivers are lucky, that the burocrats cant handle it.

But Thai have a legal exercise department and a bailiff... and ist working,at least to exercise the rights of a court judgement

On 9/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, webfact said:

TNA said that out of 13 million fines issued only 2.6 million or 20% had been paid.

A system connecting the police to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) will be fully up and running on October 1st meaning that people who don't pay fines will not be able to renew tax rendering their vehicles illegal on the road. 

So 80% of the population gives the Thai government the 'one finger salute' because they don't see any downside, nor should they.

Will those who fail to pay their fines worry about not obtaining a tax sticker? Probably not.  They'll be stopped at a checkpoint and issued a ticket for non-compliance.  Then - the will ignore paying the fine.  Wash, rinse, repeat forever.  

I'm thinking the Thai government will need to come up with a better plan as it's citizenry don't take their threats seriously - and nor should they.  Traffic laws have no teeth.  And as such, Thailand will continue to have the Most Dangerous Roads in the World while 80% of the population drives without tax stickers. <laughs>

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Which means that the 80% who have not paid their fines will have a big surprise when it comes to renewing their PoLoBo;
this mandatory document, which is attached to the windshield of vehicles or to the bodywork of the two motorized wheels, is issued by prefectures and sub-prefectures;
if fine not paid, no issue of the document in question.

How do you eat a mushroom twice?Just would like to know.

I hope this will change things for the better but like most things it will make other things more difficult.

Impound vehicles and crush them after 15 days?Crazy!!!What if it is not your car?

Unpaid tickets may be a problem now but the government will somehow make sure they will get their money.

Whoever does not believe that is very naive and ignorant.

I always carry my wallet which holds my license and other cards inside,no biggy.

I was pulled over once and the cop asked to see my license,i showed it to him and he put it in his pocket without even looking at it.

He told me i had committed a bad offence and he needed 1500 baht in order for me to get my license back.

I just smiled and told him my camera recorded sound also,he walked away for a minute ,came back,handed me my license ans said;have a nice day sir'.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Impound vehicles and crush them after 15 days?Crazy!!!What if it is not your car?

Following the seizure, a letter will be sent by recorded delivery to the Registered Keeper. If not recovered, the vehicle will be disposed of 15 days after the letter was posted in line with the Road Traffic Act (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles) Regulations 2005

On 9/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, Lungstib said:

With many Thai drivers believing they have the right to go just where they please, drive on the wrong side or as fast as they wish I fail to see how halting the confiscation of a license can make much difference. When they get stopped they will still argue they did nothing wrong. Imagining this will make more people pay fines is a joke. Many paid only to get a license back and will now just insist the fine never arrived in the post.

Then someone will have to sign for the letter when its delivered

On 9/20/2019 at 10:59 AM, BobbyL said:

One thing I have never understood is people's issue with showing their licence when stopped by the police?

I always have my licence in my wallet, and when I drive my car I always have my wallet.

If people are so forgetful perhaps they should just leave the licence in their car / motorbike. 

The issue is that some police will not return the license without a "tip".  Many misunderstandings arise when the tip is refused or too high!

This high season will police who check for licenses from tourist or expats in many towns round Thailand,plus Thais.they is a desk and chair where u pay the fine,will that still exist now.you need a International license and this stops them in they tracks.i see the same police same check point for license checks in cm.in the end they know u and let u ride thru

Sent from my SM-T580 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived