Tourism ministry: World economy to blame for Thailand's tourism woes

webfact

Tourism ministry: World economy to blame for Thailand's tourism woes

4pm.jpg
Picture: Talk News Online

A top official at the Thai Ministry for Tourism and Sports told a business meeting in Hua Hin that the world economy was to blame for Thailand's lack of tourists. 

Panya Hanlamyuang pointed the finger at the ongoing trade spat between the US and China. 

He said that this was discouraging investment in Thailand and elsewhere in the ASEAN tourism sector. 

World "fluctuations" were causing "contractions" he told a Chamber of Commerce meeting.

Talk News Online did not report a single problem regarding tourism as having originated because of Thailand's actions or policies. 

Instead Panya ended on a positive note saying that Hua Hin should be ready for high season.

Source: Talk News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-20

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Talk News Online did not report a single problem regarding tourism as having originated because of Thailand's actions or policies. 

How can there be problems in Nirvana. This is the centre of the universe. This is Xanadu!

It's always someone else's fault!

It's not the dirt, the violence, the traffic- deaths, the xenophobia or racism, the misogyny, the pollution, the non-sensical laws for smoking and beach chairs, the corrupt police, the overall unfriendlyness of the immigration at the 30% occupied airport- counters....

It's us - the rest of the world...

it's governments nationalistic, xenophobic attitude and policies, which drive off expats and, equally, long term tourists.

the present growing statistics for arrivals are for chinese, indian, malaysian, who are coming for just few days of shopping. They might be coming several times per year and might be buying goods, but don't go to resorts, spas, tourist places  

I was in BKK doing business the other day. 

By 3pm we were ready for a drink and a bite to eat

Went into 5 different restaurants and there was no alcohol for sale.

We ended up walking for 10 mins to the beer exchange where it was serving freely and openly.

Reassuringly expensive 300 baht a pint I hasten to add!!

What on earth is wrong with this place! 

The clients I was with found it hard to believe.

And yeh I know about this stupid law and why it was brought in.

24 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Blame. Lie. Blame. Ignore. Lie Blame and hope it finally goes away.

Has there ever been a more reactive (not proactive) department than either the TAT or the Tourism and Sports Ministry here?

Yes. Any other Governmental Department in Thailand!

And a bright looking bunch they are! An unsmiling police officer is always a big help to market tourism. 

Anyway the Tourist department is not interested in foreign tourists at the moment. The message is quite clear..

The flavour of the month right now is Thai tourists who are more friendly and helpful and are being given free money and discounts to go on holidays within Thailand. Hotels and retailers get government kickbacks for servicing Thai citizens over the age of 18 who travel about the country. Foreigners do not qualify.

So there you foreign tourists, stick your holidays and stay home, we don't need you.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/thailand-is-paying-people-to-visit-55-provinces

The secret's out:

"Thai travellers: the best to have around"

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/30371386

Yeah not yer stupid "INSERT EXPLETIVE" policies, anything but what youve  done, c'mon surely  global warming has  caused  all this or  all that plastic dumped by foreign countries  which just  happens to wash up on your shores, But OUR FAULT ...........NO EXPLETIVE WAY

No, no, no, no, no. Thailand is to blame for Thailand's tourism woes. This was self inflicted. It is typical of these small people in the administration to deflect, and refuse to take responsibility for problems of their own creation. That is so inane, and weak on their part. The high baht is only part of the problem. Brexit and other factors is a small part of this catastrophe facing the nation here. 

As stated previously, these are just a few ways Thailand shot itself in the foot, when it comes to tourism. 

Thailand thought the country was something very special, and was he center of the known universe, and that nobody would ever say no, or find alternative places to visit. The fact is that there are countless other spots, many in this region, that offer better service, more expertise in food and beverage (especially wine service and selection at fair prices, which rich tourists demand), reasonable import duties to sustain a luxury goods market, better training, and far better english skills. Thailand simply lost sight of the big picture, and had very little vision, with regard to big spending tourists, who need to be catered to, instead of scorned.  

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic and truly pathetic local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that could be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of over 300%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. If you are a rich tourist, spending $600 a night at the Banyan Tree in Bangkok, it is difficult to even find someone to have an intelligent conversation with, about the intricacies, the best vintages, and the qualities of the wine you want to order, here in Thailand. The expertise in F & B is really lacking. 

Same applies to luxury tax. If it were reasonable, Thailand would be able to attract rich tourists from around the world, who want to spend $25,000 on luxury goods, while on vacation. Will they buy a Prada handbag here for $16,000, that costs $5,000 in Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, London, New York, Paris, Rome, Milan, Monaco, Prague, Moscow, Istanbul, or Dubai? Of course not. What will they do? They will choose any one of those spots, and others for vacation, and Thailand will never even be discussed. 

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. 

2 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

It's always someone else's fault!

It's not the dirt, the violence, the traffic- deaths, the xenophobia or racism, the misogyny, the pollution, the non-sensical laws for smoking and beach chairs, the corrupt police, the overall unfriendlyness of the immigration at the 30% occupied airport- counters....

It's us - the rest of the world...

Shhhh….How can those things exist in paradise...

I still don't see how they qualify nearly 40 million tourist arrivals this year as "tourism woes." Only 10 years ago, Thailand drew less than 15 million per year. The situation is already unsustainable at a lot of destinations, especially small islands. What they should be debating is whether millions more coming every year is even a good thing.  

" refuse to take responsibility for problems of their own creation "

That excerpted quote says it all. From the age of young children though teens into adulthood, refusal to take and accept responsibility for the bad as well as the good is a fundamental flaw of thais.

Sounds about right to me - the Banksters who run the world's Central Banking System have put the squeeze on business all around the globe by turning the money tap off.  It makes sense that all sheeple have less to spend on holidays now.

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I was in BKK doing business the other day. 

By 3pm we were ready for a drink and a bite to eat

Went into 5 different restaurants and there was no alcohol for sale.

We ended up walking for 10 mins to the beer exchange where it was serving freely and openly.

Reassuringly expensive 300 baht a pint I hasten to add!!

What on earth is wrong with this place! 

The clients I was with found it hard to believe.

And yeh I know about this stupid law and why it was brought in.

You know?

Pray tell!

Seriously!

I am here for 12 years now and I still have no actual clue, why this law exists!

Of course, of course!

It's always everybody else's fault - except the Thais' own.

They never learn, never grow up (which means shouldering responsibility for one's own stupid actions - such as the TM30 disgrace).

This place is doomed to stay a feudal backwater for years and years to come - in all and every regard.

Archived