This explains the burning season

jko

I stayed 5 years in a rural area in northen Thailand

most of the smoke in the area was not coming from the forests burning

but from the ricefields. After the harvest the farmers are used to

burn what's left of the rice straw, probably to try to fertilize the soil

like they dit it here since hundreds of years. 

It's not going to be easy at all to change the rural mentalities imo

Ok well down here round Prachuap weve  been asked  by head of  village to NOT  burn the old pineapples when we  replant, in fact  we  left them 5  years instead of two and still got a  half  decent  crop .

Usually they are changed out after 2 fruits  have been and gone.

Theres  an extra  cost to us of  about 5000 baht on 10  rai for not  burning and that why farmers do  burn.

Head  of  village said they are handing out fines now for burning here, whether they get paid I don't know.

Instead of the burn a machine chops em up and another ploughs them into he ground, normally they just get burnt  then ploughed in.

I dont mind doing this if EVERYONE round about complies, Ive already seen close by another neighbour start to burn his  field of  rice he got it half done before he was stopped and allegedly  fined.

Now the "Thai" part creeps  in.......head of  village says to my Wife, dont burn it  in the day "just  burn at  night" nobody will check then!!!! So what hope for air  pollution. We  chopped and ploughed them anyway.

papps.jpg

25 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Ok well down here round Prachuap weve  been asked  by head of  village to NOT  burn the old pineapples when we  replant, in fact  we  left them 5  years instead of two and still got a  half  decent  crop .

Usually they are changed out after 2 fruits  have been and gone.

Theres  an extra  cost to us of  about 5000 baht on 10  rai for not  burning and that why farmers do  burn.

Head  of  village said they are handing out fines now for burning here, whether they get paid I don't know.

Instead of the burn a machine chops em up and another ploughs them into he ground, normally they just get burnt  then ploughed in.

I dont mind doing this if EVERYONE round about complies, Ive already seen close by another neighbour start to burn his  field of  rice he got it half done before he was stopped and allegedly  fined.

Now the "Thai" part creeps  in.......head of  village says to my Wife, dont burn it  in the day "just  burn at  night" nobody will check then!!!! So what hope for air  pollution. We  chopped and ploughed them anyway.

papps.jpg

Yeah it can always be shifted to fit. Burn at night and yo won't get caught. And in the day time we will pretend not to see your field is burned. 

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yeah it can always be shifted to fit. Burn at night and yo won't get caught. And in the day time we will pretend not to see your field is burned. 

Incredible ain't it and then when asked  "do  I  like Thai  people" I can only go on what i see and get via interaction.

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I live in a mountain valley in rural Northeastern Lamphun province and I can assure you that most of the smoke was coming from the numerous forest fires up and down the valley. I'm talking about what I was seeking with my own eyes. The ag burning, when it's allowed, contributes.  But the main smoke arose for scores of fires in the mountains set above the villages, at least in the area where I live.  It's common knowledge among the locals here that villagers set these fires to burn off the forest undergrowth so that they can collect mushrooms during the Rain Season.  But on the flip side, nobody knows who the arsonists are!!!  But everyone goes and picks mushrooms. 

22 hours ago, connda said:

I live in a mountain valley in rural Northeastern Lamphun province and I can assure you that most of the smoke was coming from the numerous forest fires up and down the valley. I'm talking about what I was seeking with my own eyes. The ag burning, when it's allowed, contributes.  But the main smoke arose for scores of fires in the mountains set above the villages, at least in the area where I live.  It's common knowledge among the locals here that villagers set these fires to burn off the forest undergrowth so that they can collect mushrooms during the Rain Season.  But on the flip side, nobody knows who the arsonists are!!!  But everyone goes and picks mushrooms. 

Rice field burning is much earlier, around Nov-Dec

On 9/20/2019 at 8:22 PM, connda said:

I live in Ampur Ban Hong (Lamphun province).    What area are you living in ?  N.E. Lamphun ?   Mountainous?    Just curious..

In my area the townspeople and orchard owners are not burning during the burning ban ( but of course that is only 2 months).   Also the big fires are coming from the mountains that are not far away

Damn,   hope its going to be better this year.   Doubt it

Contrary to Indonesia, in Thailand they don't burn to plant palm tree. They burn sugar cane for easier harvesting. Rice and corn debris because they don't know better. Whole forest because it's easier to harvest mushroom later.

Last seasons, I checked the fire map and Cambodia was the worst. For some reasons the wind pushed the smoke to eastern and central Thailand worsening Thailand's smog. 

3 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

This is part of what is going on there , too ... https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-49741285/stratford-vet-tries-to-save-orangutan-shot-130-times

It is connected to the palm oil plantations . Not enough that hey destroy the forest ...

So sad .

But palm oil is vegan. 

----> "  Of the 10 nations that make up ASEAN there is clear, documented evidence that Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and Myanmar are guilty of allowing corporations to torch national forests to make way for commercial plantations. The burning of vital natural forest cover, whether in the Amazon or ASEAN, is a disgrace. Greed poisons our planet for profit. " <----

Over population, corruption (brown envelopes and 'lobbyist'), rural poverty,  shareholders boundless need for growth, humans genetic selfishness - the planet is doomed.

Buy a good pm 2.5 mask, find a nice girl, eat nice food, have lots of sex, stop worrying about the inevitable destruction of the natural world.

I used to join protests, run campaigns, support NGO's, I had jobs where I thought I could help businesses save the planet - but then I took a cold look at the trends, the politics, the evidence.  We're all screwed.

We're being deliberately distracted by plastic bags and drinking straws while the corporations exploit global warming to rape the Arctic and pay poor farmers to incinerate rain forests.

Oh, and don't have kids, as the future is going to be a tough, violent and polluted place 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:09 AM, VocalNeal said:

This from Pontianak, Indonesia on Monday. Just to put the Chiang Mai burning in perspective?

EEjFi5qU8AAHf9c?format=jpg

I know two wrongs don't make a right. But I doubt it ever gets this bad?

southern Thailand very similar today, (Sunday) it appears it all moved up here

On 9/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Burning dosen't fertilize the field. Turning the stubble into the soil allowing it to decompose is the correct method and most beneficial.

15 minutes ago, MAGA 2020 said:

Burning dosen't fertilize the field. Turning the stubble into the soil allowing it to decompose is the correct method and most beneficial.

Ash does add potassium. Charcoal add water retention and promote beneficial bacteria. However the best method is composting like you said but it also require the most time and energy. 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:09 PM, VocalNeal said:

This from Pontianak, Indonesia on Monday. Just to put the Chiang Mai burning in perspective?

It gets that bad. But it’s not what you see that’s necessarily harmful. It’s the tiny particles you usually don’t see and Chiang Mai was #1 in the world for pollution on multiple days last year and is often in the Top 10.

Excellent place to retire and die from lung cancer or other related illnesses.

14 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Ash does add potassium. Charcoal add water retention and promote beneficial bacteria. However the best method is composting like you said but it also require the most time and energy. 

Doesn't add potassium or make it more bio-available (in fact it's slightly worse in that regard), it only adds something if you bring ash from somewhere else. However, charcoal can arguably have a better humidity retention than tilling.

In lower Maewang valley, I rarely see rice field burning, they just plough the field and plant corn or onions depending how late in the year it is. Burning is just supposedly to be bushfire fuel burns but the true reason are heet thob mushrooms.

Humidity can play a big role in visibility. Chiang Mai has that yellow tinge to the smog and very low humidity that tells you that what you see is what you breathe...and it's not great. I don't mean that the south or Indonesia are not bad right now, but visibility only can be deceiving.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:12 AM, nobodysfriend said:

----> "  Of the 10 nations that make up ASEAN there is clear, documented evidence that Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and Myanmar are guilty of allowing corporations to torch national forests to make way for commercial plantations. The burning of vital natural forest cover, whether in the Amazon or ASEAN, is a disgrace. Greed poisons our planet for profit. " <----

And do not forget what happen with the rain water from those empty hill sides. 

Archived