BANGKOK
hyku1147

Overcharging Clinic Alert.

John - my nephew, got a check-up at a clinic in Tambon Changklan Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai. At first he was impressed by the doctor's bedside manner, and his diagnostic skills, but he started to feel like he was being sold a bill of goods because the doctor constantly kept reassuring him that his clinic was not going to overcharge.

The ECG results were excellent, the diabetes test results were negative, but his blood pressure was high, so medicine was prescribed. Walking to the dispensary, John recalled that his doubts had faded, and that they vanished when he saw the bill: 800 baht covered all the tests and the consultation. Then he was handed the medicine bill. 2800 baht for 10 baby aspirins, 10 blood pressure pills, and 10 muscle relaxers.

John paid the 800 baht, called me, and we purchased identical medicines for 207 baht from a Thai pharmacy.

John felt like he was being sold a used car.

Edited by blackcab
Name of clinic removed
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

because the doctor constantly kept reassuring him that his clinic was not going to overcharge.

Well doc was true to his word & didn't overcharge but, the pharmacy did 😉

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

2800 baht for 10 baby aspirins, 10 blood pressure pills, and 10 muscle relaxers.

Aspent-M, 30Bht for 60 x81mg in most pharmacies

Doxazocin 2mg, 1Bht each from government hospital.

Can't price the muscle relaxers, haven't purchased any.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can John go directly to the hospital's pharmacy, or does he have to see a doctor first?

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Can John go directly to the hospital's pharmacy, or does he have to see a doctor first?

Thanks.

See a doctor, 50bht.

• Thanks 1

I went to see the doctor at the hospital last weekend after suddenly losing all Feeling and having pins and needles in my lowerleg..

We both agreed it was most likely a trapped nerve or blood vessel after explaining what i had been doing the day before.

He quite clearly understood I had no pain and he said it will be back to normal in a couple of days.

He then suggested a follow up visit in10 days and preescribed me 30 gabapentin tablets and 20 vitamin B tabs at an extra cost of 900bt over the 250bt hospital and doctor fee.

I refused to accept the medication which actually contradicted his diagnosis.

As he correctly said, it did sort itself in 2/3 days.

So why did he want to load up on tablets for a month and come back for another chat....$$$$

• Sad 1

Some Thai clinics love to charge extra for farangs.

I went to one Thai clinic who opens after 5 pm and he charged me Thai price.

Edited by EricTh

Went to a doctor in Udon Thani this week with chronic breathing problems...allergic to just about all airborne pollutants...Dr. examine, 3-shots in the hip, and 3 sets of pill to last for another week or so...800 baht...USA educated...spent a load of time making me feel confident in his ability...will definitely use him again if needed...👍

• Thanks 1

In all fairness, some blood pressure medicines are very expensive. There are dozens of them and some people can only use specific ones, or combinations of them. Some very good ones are very cheap. It depends on the individual case.

Blood pressure regulation - experiment with Magnesium - dosed out twice a day. I take 400-600mg of Citrate version. Too much Magnesium and you will start 'leaking'.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

Muscle relaxant meds cheap, can buy strip of 10 for 30Baht.

3 hours ago, steven2018 said:

Blood pressure regulation - experiment with Magnesium - dosed out twice a day. I take 400-600mg of Citrate version. Too much Magnesium and you will start 'leaking'.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

what does start  leaking mean ?   can you explain

Hospitals in Thailand can virtually charge as much as they like and although the government has some sort of control over the costs, the hospitals always find ways to circumvent those regulations, at Bumrungrad hospital a GP fee went from 800 to 1,600 baht early this year, and the medicine cost at the pharmacy will make you feel sick enough to run back to see the doctor again and again pay 1,600 baht and not to mention if you need to use some of the medical equipment which they only too happy to make you use them whether you need it or not...