Transfer music from iPod to iTunes

Andrew Dwyer

I have an iPod touch ( gen 6 ) that I bought shortly after they came out ( 2015 according to Google , seems longer ) to replace a failing iPod Classic.

Use it mainly for travelling purposes, airport and train travel etc, as well as music I have some Thai language apps on there.

My music library on there is around 70gb but due to various laptop changes have zero content on iTunes.

Always found the iPod/iTunes syncing process confusing and avoided it so haven’t synced since shortly after buying it.

Now, due to a desire to update my library on iPod I want to sync with iTunes and then add and remove content.

My one fear is that I accidentally clear my iPod and load my iTunes library i.e. zero content !!

Anyone any pointers ??

If I could add to iPod ( download music ) and remove music would be the best solution !!

Try Googling "Senuti" and "Senuti Alternatives".

Thanks for that, I don’t have a mac ( windows only) laptop so Senuti is out for me, but the alternatives shows a good list for Windows.
At a glance iRip and iTransfer seems exactly what I need.

Will have a look in more detail later but will definitely go with your recommendation, thanks again.

So I went with CopyTrans, for the simple reason that it is the cheapest.

Maybe never use it again after this time but it’s worth £16 just in case my hard drive takes a dump or laptop gets stolen etc.

A small price to pay for all the free music I’ve “ borrowed “ from the net over the years [emoji51]

I got my iPod music back onto my laptop and iTunes, quite a lengthy process but straight forward with CopyTrans.
Had to move some movies and tv series to a hard drive to make some space but all easily done.

Sooo I then set about adding some music I had downloaded before and deleting some stuff I have no intention of listening too. All very easy I thought but of course I’d forgotten the user unfriendly process that Apple had created when you want to do anything with iTunes and soon decided enough was enough for one day !!

It’s almost like Apple had a hand in organising the visa requirements for Thai immigration, or was it vice versa !!

On 9/20/2019 at 11:25 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sooo I then set about adding some music I had downloaded before and deleting some stuff I have no intention of listening too. All very easy I thought but of course I’d forgotten the user unfriendly process that Apple had created when you want to do anything with iTunes and soon decided enough was enough for one day !!

I'd hardly call it user unfriendly, different from the way you are used to sure. It is like many programs, once you understand the way it functions it's not rocket science, until you do understand it's not very difficult to click through dialogues and erase everything.

But then again I'm taking from the point of view of starting with a touch wheel iPod with FireWire and currently having a couple of 160 GB classics I use everyday in my collection, and the benefit of using Macs

I'd hardly call it user unfriendly, different from the way you are used to sure. It is like many programs, once you understand the way it functions it's not rocket science, until you do understand it's not very difficult to click through dialogues and erase everything.

But then again I'm taking from the point of view of starting with a touch wheel iPod with FireWire and currently having a couple of 160 GB classics I use everyday in my collection, and the benefit of using Macs

Yes, it’s all good now, the copy from my iPod and saving a backup went smoothly.
Only when I tried to add an album did it go all tits up and I ended up with a load of duplicates.

An error on my part and I’ve got the knack now.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, it’s all good now, the copy from my iPod and saving a backup went smoothly.
Only when I tried to add an album did it go all tits up and I ended up with a load of duplicates.

An error on my part and I’ve got the knack now.

I do run windows in an emulator on my Mac and hate the nasty thing, I have just spent an hour fruitlessly trying to download iTunes for windows so I could help. I've just given up and am happy to go back to butchering inoffensive pieces of wood. At least I understand that. 

How to know the way to download from the Micro$oft $tore is beyond me????????

I maintain a complete library of what we have dittoed over 2 ipods and an iPad, all kept on the old Vista machine, that is never allowed to go online... therefore safely never-capable of that dreaded Syncing thing!  

I think the reason I got peeved with iTunes was there are so many options, so many things that could go wrong by misinterpretation.

But, having said that, these options are there to help and sometimes makes life a lot easier .

For example:
I’d copied my iPod content into iTunes and made a backup folder, all plain sailing.
Then I wanted to add some music ( not on iTunes or iPod) so I put an album folder in the backup folder and went into iTunes. Clicked on “ add a folder to my library “ found the folder and clicked on it.
What could possibly go wrong ??, well I was sat on the sofa, laptop on my lap tv was on , so kinda got distracted and started to add the whole backup folder ( 60 gb ) !!
Realising what I’d done I cancelled the process but ended up with a boatload of duplicates !! [emoji35]

Then, this is where iTunes excels, there is an option to highlight duplicate songs and within that option another which highlights duplicates on the same album making it easy to delete the recently added repeated songs. How good is that !

So, in the space of 30 minutes I was cursing everyone at Cupertino then marvelling at their ingenuity !!

I have over 12000 songs on my computer plus copies on an iPad, and 4 iPods but because of the way that Microsoft operate with their updates I copied all my music onto USB drives so that is something goes wrong at any time I have the USB's as back ups. I have had some problems since Microsoft did an update in August and I had problems getting into my photo's and other files because the update changed many things and I contacted Microsoft Help Centre and they were absolutely useless, they just would not listen to what the problem was because they had their mind set on something else causing the problem and just would not listen, so now at the moment I have backed everything up by copying it all the USB drives until I can find a decent external hard drive.

I have over 12000 songs on my computer plus copies on an iPad, and 4 iPods but because of the way that Microsoft operate with their updates I copied all my music onto USB drives so that is something goes wrong at any time I have the USB's as back ups. I have had some problems since Microsoft did an update in August and I had problems getting into my photo's and other files because the update changed many things and I contacted Microsoft Help Centre and they were absolutely useless, they just would not listen to what the problem was because they had their mind set on something else causing the problem and just would not listen, so now at the moment I have backed everything up by copying it all the USB drives until I can find a decent external hard drive.

Yes I recently backed all my photos and docs etc ( including my iPod songs) onto an external hard drive .
They are cheap , light and have great storage capacity nowadays, I use a 1Tb Toshisha.
Years ago I bought an 80 gb, bulky , heavy hard drive that cost a great deal more than my current one.

Archived