Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My take.

I think farang is a similar to gringo.

Interestingly in Mexico gringo is a slur word. 

In Ecuador, it is not.

I think the way things have developed in Thailand (my POV is from living in the Pattaya area) is that farang is more in the middle. Often used in a derogatory way, and often not.

So sorry dear Yinn I don't like it.

If you know a person's name, use their name.

If you know a person's nationality, refer to their nationality rather than farang.

Now THAT would be more polite!

Pal, Mate, bro? everyday usage when names are not known or people are too lazy to remember or use names, offensive?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Farang is not a name , it is a descriptive term.

I am not called "farang" by any one in Thailand I am called by my name.  . what I am, is described as farang, or have someone else described as "Farang"

So my wife will say " Her husband is a farang" and I know what she is talking about, or if I call someone a "farang" my wife knows what I am talking about.

It is not pejorative it is simply a universally accepted  term  for a  westerner in Thailand.

End of story.

The most accurate translation for the word farang is Caucasian.  Why would anyone be offended by the word Caucasian? 

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The most accurate translation for the word farang is Caucasian.  Why would anyone be offended by the word Caucasian? 

Because you're looking at this way too LITERALLY.

Anyone that has in Thailand a long time will well know that often the usage of the word farang is LOADED. 

No point in being native about it. 

50 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This guy do the good job explain for everyone about that.

Good morning Yinn. How are you today? In a few weeks I will be riding my motorcycle right past your house. Can I stop in and say hello? I will keep my helmet and riding gear on.  

Just now, Jingthing said:

Because you're looking at this way too LITERALLY.

Anyone that has in Thailand a long time will well know that often the usage of the word farang is LOADED. 

No point in being native about it. 

I've been in Thailand a long time JT.  The only people offended by the term are those constantly seeking victimhood and/or those with some screws loose upstairs. 

46 minutes ago, faraday said:

Makes me smile when we're out for our morning walk, & the little children on the back of their mothers m/c, get excited when they see me & tell mum "falang" ????

I usually respond to them with, "ling kidder" (cheeky monkey) and they all go quite, then see that I am smiling, and they all laugh.

It is not offencive at all.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I've been in Thailand a long time JT.  The only people offended by the term are those constantly seeking victimhood and/or those with some screws loose upstairs. 

Total B.S. 

So you've never seen a Thai say the F word while scowling and spitting? Do you think the word is polite in that context. Don't bother replying because you've already made it clear you don't want to see the actual realities here.

It annoys me but I dont care too much. Sometimes I call them Chinese and they don't seem to understand why and they don't like it. Chinese is the term people often use in my country when talking about someone of Asian origin. 

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Caucasian is also a universally accepted word to describe a set of people , it does not necessarily mean that the person's lineage is from the Caucasus, it is just a term used non pejoratively that conveys information.  

Gay is another word used to to describe a set of people , I don't think  anyone suggest that they are any more carefree or lighthearted   than the rest of as. Simply describes someone homosexual and most likely  male. 

"Farang"describes a westerner, in Thailand, not sure how it started, but I am sure no one does because he/she thinks we have any relation to tubers or the fruit

.Though some of as might. LOL 

I use it all the time, my wife uses it all the time, people I know use it all the time , not offended my it.

This topic surfaces from time to time and usually from people new to Thailand that don't yet understand ,IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Total B.S. 

So you've never seen a Thai say the F word while scowling and spitting? Do you think the word is polite in that context. Don't bother replying because you've already made it clear you don't want to see the actual realities here.

Sensitive, are we?  Ok JT, if you want to take offense at the word, be my guest.  None of my farang friends are bothered by it.  And the Thais certainly don't believe it to be offensive.  So not sure what you're hoping to accomplish. 

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Caucasian is also a universally accepted word to describe a set of people , it does not necessarily mean that the person's lineage is from the Caucasus, it is just a term used non pejoratively that conveys information.  

Gay is another word used to to describe a set of people , I don't think  anyone suggest that they are any more carefree or lighthearted   than the rest of as. Simply describes someone homosexual and most likely  male. 

"Farang"describes a westerner, in Thailand, not sure how it started, but I am sure no one does because he/she thinks we have any relation to tubers or the fruit

.Though some of as might. LOL 

I use it all the time, my wife uses it all the time, people I know use it all the time , not offended my it.

This topic surfaces from time to time and usually from people new to Thailand that don't yet understand ,IMO. 

Farang come from "farangsaise" French in thai. Since the first contact Thai people had with westerner was with colonial French the term subsisted.

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Sensitive, are we?  Ok JT, if you want to take offense at the word, be my guest.  None of my farang friends are bothered by it.  And the Thais certainly don't believe it to be offensive.  So not sure what you're hoping to accomplish. 

Actually your read of me is way off. I don't care if Thai people are insulting to me, I avoid confrontation and FILTER out all the negative stuff here. I'm like Melania's jacket. But I'm not blind either.

The thing is very simply, and it is not an impolite word. It´s just their word for foreigner (caucasian), and that is not to be seen bad in any way.

That children point and say the word straight out everybody can understand. However, sometimes grown ups do it to, and that just many times have to do with lesser knowldge and education.

If a person need to be offended by such small things in life, just maybe they should stay away from Thailand.

Etiquette has been in constant decline for years guys

How often do you hear "Let me introduce you to my wife..... Louisa" or likewise for a husband?

People are expected to guess the name?

Part of the problem is the lazy conversation used these days

Archived