Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

10 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

I had this debate on <URL Automatically Removed> once... they had a thread of "beautiful farang women" (naked, of course).

So I dutifully uploaded some gorgeous black women photos, because I assumed that they are farang too... what a backlash! you can't even be "sexist" without encountering "racism", even of the positive kind.

Farang is white only dude ergo it must be racist  (not that it bothers me in the slightest).

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont really care. Japanese, Chinese, Cambos all have their words for foreigners. I was married to a Japanese girl, I was a gaijin. No biggy. Call me what you want, just dont call me late for dinner.

I like the honorifics Thai folks use towards me: Papa Falang (Respectable Old Foreigner), Falang Baa (Mature Foreiner), Falang Kwaii (LIvely and Active Foreigner), Falang Hia (Clean Foreigner).

Yea  the honorific Kwai is also often associated to me, also Ki Nok falang (something about a bird) my wife must love me very much????

4 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

Yes, but did she like it if you called her a nip or a jap? I speak Japanese, and I've once advanced the argument that Jap is just like "farang/bule/gaijin/gwailou" etc..., Japs will go along with it, but whitepeople get offended on their behalf - fortunately, I speak Japanese, so I can switch languages so the dogooding whitefolks don't have to have their virtuesignalling triggered.

I speak Japanese too after a fashion and no I never called her a Nip. I called her a foreigner once and she hit me on the head. Most of the time I would tell her to quit being a Jap (like when she was spending 5 minutes putting a stamp on exactly straight or rinsing rice exactly 6 times) and woould get the usual baaka gaijin why you not want to do things correctly. OK. Sorry. Carry on.

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea  the honorific Kwai is also often associated to me, also Ki Nok falang (something about a bird) my wife must love me very much????

Pumpwee Falang too (well built, Fabio type foreigner)

Farang....who cares? Racist..........who knows? Trying to understand a Thai person is like trying to understand women.

As for trying to understand a Thai woman maybe 'Yinn' could give me some tips?

Anyway, it could be worse, I could be African - https://prachatai.com/english/node/7773

Thais racist? Surely not.

It is no big deal at all. Water off a duck's back. If you are the type of person who wants to find something to nitpick, it will offend you. I do not think it is usually meant to be offensive. I think the Thais consider it to mean "not one of us", or an outsider. Who cares? If it offends you to be an outsider, than this word will probably annoy you. Personally, I have no need to "belong". I am not a member of any tribe. 

While some people suppose it must be short for the Thai word “farangset” (“French”), it’s believed by scholars to derive from the Persian “farangi,” which in turn refers to the Franks, the Germanic tribe that ruled Western Europe in the Middle Ages, and from whom France gets its name. A black person from the West may be referred to as “farang dam.” 

Another example, as if one is actually needed, that Thais are not a homogeneous group of universally polite people.  Each is as different as the next, but with commonalities from culture, parents and social conditioning.  Same as westerners.  The only antidote to the root cause of ignorance and lack of exposure, is information, experience, and exposure.

IMV, like others, the use of farang varies by context and tone and use of other words to emphasize the meaning and intent. 

Little kids in the village pointing and shouting, "Falang, Falang!" used to be amusing.  Now I just roll my eyes and hope they find a way out of their Po-dunk village existance into the broader world.  Maybe even get a passport and travel outside Thailand someday.

Actually the word farang could also have been introduced by the Portuguese (who were the first Europeans). Or even the Persians. It seems to be more accepted as  Arab in origin and being first used to describe the Portuguese and then other westerners.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I take umbrage to being shouted at ' you you' than being addressed as a farang, kinda complimenting me as being French...

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Yep.

"You" or "Farang".

There is no excuse for ignorance or bad manners.

I just ignore them.

I have explained “you”before. You must pay attention please.

the word “Khun” in thai means Mr. Mrs and you.

A lot of Thai learn very basic English at school. 

So if they see somebody who think can speak English, they are saying “Mr” or “Mrs.” when say you/khun.

If someone say “Khun Ezzra”= “Mr Ezzra”

if they not know your name “Khun” = “sir”

They are NOT trying to be impolite, they are trying to be polite.

And how many member who are still complaining about “farang” really watch the video in OP? It explain it well. It is NOT impolite.

Why can you not understand? Or listen to the other wonderful farang that also say it not impolite. They understand, you not.

Thai people are very polite. good manners. 

4 minutes ago, grollies said:

Farang....who cares? Racist..........who knows? Trying to understand a Thai person is like trying to understand women.

As for trying to understand a Thai woman maybe 'Yinn' could give me some tips?

Anyway, it could be worse, I could be African - https://prachatai.com/english/node/7773

Thais racist? Surely not.

Very long time ago the first people visiting Siam and the king came from France. They tried of course to explain where they came from and because of the language barrier and bad pronunciation etc it sounded like a bit like farang to the people they met. After that when people from other countries came,the locals thought they also came from France. If you ask a common Thai person today what farang means and the origin of the word,they don't have a clue. This was just a simplified explanation. 

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Good morning Yinn. How are you today? In a few weeks I will be riding my motorcycle right past your house. Can I stop in and say hello? I will keep my helmet and riding gear on.  

Sorry Uncle I not be home that day.

But my brothers and dad said come and meet them. 

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thai people are very polite. good manners. 

LOL. Not at the monk dos I attend. Spitting bones out onto the floor at the dining table is not what I call good manners. Last one my (Thai) wife got up and fetched a bin for one particular gentleman. He stopped doing it. BUT, what are considered bad manners in one country are normal in another so I wouldn't worry about.

I mean, blatant nose-picking here is normal whereas in the UK it is absolutely not (although, in the interests of balance I have seen a diner in the UK blow his nose on a cloth napkin in a restaurant). Actually, that would make an interesting topic, manners Thailand vs the West.

Polite though, yes, I agree. I personnaly don't mind being called farang although most of the farmers round here have worked with/for me, know me and call me by my name. And everyone is very polite. Have a good day.

6 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

@Yinn just imagine one second you are in a group of people having fun, and everyone refers to you as the "fat girl" , "ugly girl", whatever, instead of using your name?

Nah, our neighbour, owner of a tapioca collection depot, is affectionately known as Khun Uan. And he is fat. He doesn't seem to mind.

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Very long time ago the first people visiting Siam and the king came from France. They tried of course to explain where they came from and because of the language barrier and bad pronunciation etc it sounded like a bit like farang to the people they met. After that when people from other countries came,the locals thought they also came from France. If you ask a common Thai person today what farang means and the origin of the word,they don't have a clue. This was just a simplified explanation. 

Yeah mate, I've heard the Farangcais explanation before. What about when Thais refer to blacks as Negra?

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

MY THRED, my rule.

please,watch the op video BEFORE post comment. This thred not for arguement. Just for learn.

Thankyou. 

That's not how threads work. This isn't Thai secondary school.

57 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I had this debate on T e a k  D o o r once... they had a thread of "beautiful farang women" (naked, of course).

So I dutifully uploaded some gorgeous black women photos, because I assumed that they are farang too... what a backlash! you can't even be "sexist" without encountering "racism", even of the positive kind.

That's not a URL, and censoring it is childish.

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sorry Uncle I not be home that day.

But my brothers and dad said come and meet them. 

Hey Yinn, y'all have a brother named Remington?

In the States when "Uncles" come around, you introduce them to Remington:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I just am amazed at you dudes freaking out because in a foreign country, where you are a guest, the local folks call you foreigner?

So the <deleted> what for Gods sake? What are you special? Some one calls me farang baaa I be like jumping around doing a happy dance, yeah dude thats me, totally baaaaaaaaaaa yeee haw.

Life is so short and beautiful that nothing can spoil it. The Thai people are nice enough to let me in! Cool! If someone wants to be rude to me, oh well sucks to be them, Im an American and I rule. Really? You calling me hia under your breath? Its OK, I dont have to work, I get to live in the USA and have nice condos and drive a Porsche and show up here in your country in winter and have a great time without having to work so call me what you want, dude, here have 30 baht, usually I just toss it in my change box but you need it more. And ifin ya hadnt called me hia, I would have given you 100. 

13 minutes ago, grollies said:

Yeah mate, I've heard the Farangcais explanation before. What about when Thais refer to blacks as Negra?

Maybe because they are black. Negra or Negro, what's so strange about that? I have been here many years in different locations and you almost never hear Negra anywhere. 

Archived