Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

On the flip side, Thais always chastise me when I use the word “Er” (เออ) and say  “Er (เออ) not polite.  Cannot sayyyyy”....which I find kind of odd as it’s not much different than us acknowledging a statement with something along the lines of “mmm hmm” or “uh huh” while nodding out head in agreement (vs the Thai single nod/bob of the head).

So...I follow it up with “ok...er krap (เออครับ)” to be more polite.

Works for me. ????

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flemish, Walloon, are not offensive/impolite word as such. 

In my country, Belgium, they may be used as, according to the context. 

For instance : A Flemish may say "What do you expect, he is Walloon"

A Walloon, : "Of course, those Flemish are all the same" 

I use the correct "r" in Farang and all other words where it is required.  Too often the meaning of a word changes when an "l" is used instead of the correct "r".  Thais often have polite and impolite words for the same thing, as well, and it can be a little bit embarrassing to use the wrong one in polite company.  Rabphrathaan, thaan, kin, daek, yut are some of the words one can use for "eat".  Often, the people I am around say thaan rather than kin so I do the same.  I did use the word daek yesterday when telling a story because that was the word which had been used in the story.

I am not impressed when I hear a foreigner speaking bad English they have picked up on the street and I endeavor not to be the equivalent foreigner here in Thailand.

On 9/27/2019 at 11:24 PM, Yinn said:

Thai language can not finish word with “l” sound. 

“L” at start of word ok, but not at the end.

so= centran 

thai language. Up to us.

Strange concept to introduce words into your language that are impossible for people to pronounce.

My favourite in the Miracle Grand hotel. Thais pronounce it 'Milican Gan'. So much better to call it the 'Sukothai' hotel or something similar.

Of course the collolary to this is to name your main airport Suvarnabhumi. A word that very few foreigners pronounce correctly if they read it phonetically.

Thainess?

19 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I always thought the French were caucasian, if so why the different word for the french then?

French are caucasion. 

But not everyone caucasion is French.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:59 AM, villagefarang said:

I use the correct "r" in Farang and all other words where it is required.  Too often the meaning of a word changes when an "l" is used instead of the correct "r".  Thais often have polite and impolite words for the same thing, as well, and it can be a little bit embarrassing to use the wrong one in polite company.  Rabphrathaan, thaan, kin, daek, yut are some of the words one can use for "eat".  Often, the people I am around say thaan rather than kin so I do the same.  I did use the word daek yesterday when telling a story because that was the word which had been used in the story.

I am not impressed when I hear a foreigner speaking bad English they have picked up on the street and I endeavor not to be the equivalent foreigner here in Thailand.

Villagefarang very smart guy. Best to use polite way.

Never will have problem in Thailand for be to polite. Sure. Will get respect.

Is bit shocking for hear a caucasion speak thai with impolite word/way. Same if a Thai kid do it. Or if an old Thai woman do it.

It “seem” wrong more. 

Polite is best. Specially with people not the close friend. If close friend, same age, is normal.

Yinn and friend sometime use not polite word/way together. But if older person come, we all polite again. Or if stranger. 

Is complicated. So it best for foreigner to be polite way.

I have explained “you”before. You must pay attention please.

the word “Khun” in thai means Mr. Mrs and you.

A lot of Thai learn very basic English at school. 

So if they see somebody who think can speak English, they are saying “Mr” or “Mrs.” when say you/khun.

If someone say “Khun Ezzra”= “Mr Ezzra”
if they not know your name “Khun” = “sir”

They are NOT trying to be impolite, they are trying to be polite.

And how many member who are still complaining about “farang” really watch the video in OP? It explain it well. It is NOT impolite.

Why can you not understand? Or listen to the other wonderful farang that also say it not impolite. They understand, you not.

Thai people are very polite. good manners. 

The problem with "You, you!" is that it is extremely impolite, and non-Thai speaking foreigners will not know that it is supposed to be polite, so it is no surprise if some are offended.

When my Thai friends ask me for some English language advice this issue is one I usually bring up. I.e., the polite way to try to get someone's attention is "[Excuse me] Sir!" or "[Excuse me] Ma'am!" - never "You, you!"

My wife calls our son farang noi. I guess she is racist against her own child...

When she posts pictures of him on facebook, her friends remark how cute the little farang is. I guess they are all racists too...

In general, I think Thais use pejoratives quite often as terms of endearment... My wife's boss has a large red birthmark across 25% of her face, her nickname is literally "birthmark". My wife has called me "moo yai" since we first started dating. (she refers to herself as "moo uon") 

I think some people need to relax a bit and not be offended all the time... 

The "whites" were called "farang" because they were "as white" as guavas.

Nope, Farang simply means french man. Aka white. And the fruit changed its name to adjust. However your hindi reference is quite interesting.

Archived