Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

52 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Ah yes , mathematician foreigner !

Whew ,  I thought you were going to call me out for joking about the term "girl"  !

You pass the "overly sensitive" test ......   I no go 6

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember an occasion in a supermarket and a young Thai child (around 5 yrs) turned the corner of the aisle, saw me, started at me feet and gradually lifted his head to look up my body and finally to my face, and then, burst in to tears and ran literally screaming "farang"  as he ran back toward his mother.

You have to wonder what the hell has that child been told ??? Children dont make or draw conclusions like that, they have been taught or told something to give that type of reaction.

I have seen it in the village, kids pointing and shouting as though to warn others the "farang" is here !

What are these kids learning and being about us ? it sure dosent seem anything positive judging by the reaction.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I just am amazed at you dudes freaking out because in a foreign country, where you are a guest, the local folks call you foreigner?

So the <deleted> what for Gods sake? What are you special? Some one calls me farang baaa I be like jumping around doing a happy dance, yeah dude thats me, totally baaaaaaaaaaa yeee haw.

Life is so short and beautiful that nothing can spoil it. The Thai people are nice enough to let me in! Cool! If someone wants to be rude to me, oh well sucks to be them, Im an American and I rule. Really? You calling me hia under your breath? Its OK, I dont have to work, I get to live in the USA and have nice condos and drive a Porsche and show up here in your country in winter and have a great time without having to work so call me what you want, dude, here have 30 baht, usually I just toss it in my change box but you need it more. And ifin ya hadnt called me hia, I would have given you 100. 

It's the farang hi-so brigade....Feeling a low-so over a word that everyone uses in a country they choose to settle.......Sad really, cos in their own country folk might call them an as---le...

The word itself is not rude but the context can be impolite.

"My friend is farang" is OK, same as "my friend is gay" is OK or "my friend is black" is OK.

whereas...

"Hey you, farang" is not very polite, same as "hey you, gayboy" is not very polite, or "hey you, black dude" is not very polite.

99% of the time no offense is intended even though it does seem a quite uneducated way of speaking for foreigners that are new to Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I just am amazed at you dudes freaking out because in a foreign country, where you are a guest, the local folks call you foreigner?

So the <deleted> what for Gods sake? What are you special? Some one calls me farang baaa I be like jumping around doing a happy dance, yeah dude thats me, totally baaaaaaaaaaa yeee haw.

Life is so short and beautiful that nothing can spoil it. The Thai people are nice enough to let me in! Cool! If someone wants to be rude to me, oh well sucks to be them, Im an American and I rule. Really? You calling me hia under your breath? Its OK, I dont have to work, I get to live in the USA and have nice condos and drive a Porsche and show up here in your country in winter and have a great time without having to work so call me what you want, dude, here have 30 baht, usually I just toss it in my change box but you need it more. And ifin ya hadnt called me hia, I would have given you 100. 

The don't call you "foreigner". When common thai says farang,they mean white westerners. Same with farang food = western food. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe because they are black. Negra or Negro, what's so strange about that? I have been here many years in different locations and you almost never hear Negra anywhere. 

That's because you almost never see a black person outside of BKK/Pattaya/Chang Mai/etc, etc. "What's so strange about that?" - Call a black person in the UK a Negro and see where it gets you. Stabbed, probably.

1 minute ago, grollies said:

That's because you almost never see a black person outside of BKK/Pattaya/Chang Mai/etc, etc. "What's so strange about that?" - Call a black person in the UK a Negro and see where it gets you. Stabbed, probably.

Golliwog ? there is another version, yet years ago wasnt there a range of Jam or something with golliwog collectables ? amazing how things have moved on eh

download.jpg

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The word itself is not rude but the context can be impolite.

"My friend is farang" is OK, same as "my friend is gay" is OK or "my friend is black" is OK.

whereas...

"Hey you, farang" is not very polite, same as "hey you, gayboy" is not very polite, or "hey you, black dude" is not very polite.

99% of the time no offense is intended even though it does seem a quite uneducated way of speaking for foreigners that are new to Thailand.

It's nowhere near 99 percent in Pattaya. 

1 minute ago, Victornoir said:

A short and simple shortcut in Thai language.
French
Français
Farangset
Farang.
No pejorative meaning in this term.

The origin story (which BTW is not really fully settled) has ZILCH to do with current usage. 

Another case of extreme literalism. 

What's relevant is how it's used today and what meanings it conveys today. I'm standing by sometimes not offensive and sometimes a slur. You need the context to know.

2 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

A short and simple shortcut in Thai language.
French
Français
Farangset
Farang.
No pejorative meaning in this term.

But, but, I'm a Brit, not French. Now Thais ARE being insulting if they're calling me French.

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The don't call you "foreigner". When common thai says farang,they mean white westerners. Same with farang food = western food. 

Same same. Im a white westerner. Big deal. Ya ever see a bass belly? Im whiter under the clothes.

12 minutes ago, grollies said:

We are in Thailand,you do know that? I don't care the least about what they think in the UK or the US. And Negro must be a lot better than <deleted> in my book. 

57 minutes ago, Yinn said:

MY THRED, my rule.

please,watch the op video BEFORE post comment. This thred not for arguement. Just for learn.

Thankyou. 

I appreciate your good intentions and that you are somewhat new to TVF, and might feel you are bridging gaps and facilitating understanding.  

However, this topic has been done so many times and it always goes the same way. 

Taking the "Me Teacher You Student" attitude is misplaced.  Like teaching the alphabet to students at University.  And then trying to herd cats.

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

On a technical level it is a kind of collective noun for white westerners. But then so is women and I would object to being addressed as "you, woman". It is simply not polite.

Mam, Farng / Farangi is a Sanskirti words and being used in Thai like so many other words of old Sanskirti.

Any Alien to the land is a Farang in Sanskirti whereas in Thailand and even in India now this term is commenly used for a white or Westerner due to the British Empire influence of the past in the Sanskirt speaking and writing territories.

After all Thai is written in Sanskirt form like so many other languages.

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I appreciate your good intentions and that you are somewhat new to TVF, and might feel you are bridging gaps and facilitating understanding.  

However, this topic has been done so many times and it always goes the same way. 

Taking the "Me Teacher You Student" attitude is misplaced.  Like teaching the alphabet to students at University. 

"However, this topic has been done so many times and it always goes the same way."

But still,you can't stay away from posting. Right?

Just now, Max69xl said:

"However, this topic has been done so many times and it always goes the same way."

But still,you can't stay away from posting. Right?

I knew that would be a door someone would walk through.  Congratulations. 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

MY THRED, my rule.

please,watch the op video BEFORE post comment. This thred not for arguement. Just for learn.

Thankyou. 

No lady, it don't work that way (ironic intentionally bad grammar). You're posting on a discussion forum. The headline of your OP is extremely ARROGANT as is the above post. Just because you're (allegedly) Thai and post a video by some random Thai youtube dude doesn't prove anything about the way the farang word is actually used in modern Thailand. I can post videos saying you can stop a hurricane with nukes. Wouldn't prove that you can. Of course you're free to continue to stir up the sheit here as you are clearly enjoying but you don't get to order people to accept everything you say and order as truth. 

Got it now, lady?

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Taking the "Me Teacher You Student" attitude is misplaced.  Like teaching the alphabet to students at University.  And then trying to herd cats.

Good intentions? Are you sure?

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

In the USA, we use terms like Hispanic, Asians, white people, black people, etc., all the time.  So I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. 

Really, when you meet someone you say "Hey black person", "Hey Hispanic dude". That would be along the same lines as a Thai person addressing a "white person" as Farang, surely?

Archived