"Sweet talking farang ripped me off to the tune of 1.2 million baht", says Thai woman

webfact

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all these scams are done to people thinking they're going to gain loads of hard cash.

About ten years ago at work I was talking to a Thai woman in our company who was telling me she was going to leave, as she had been offered a job look after someone's kids in the Netherlands and was keen to take up the opportunity.

She'd met a guy who had contacted her via skype and after chatting said he'd like her to look after his kids as he lived alone. He would fund a work permit and visa in the Netherlands for her.

First he'd buy her a plane ticket so she could go to visit his home to start with. He would send her the cash for the ticket via a courier.

The 'courier' was coming to Thailand via Malaysia. Unfortunately, Malaysian customs had seized the cash as it had been undeclared. There was a requirement to pay a fine of 20,000 Baht (in Ringit) to release the cash.

The woman had been given instructions to pay the fine by Moneygram to someone from 'customs', but with an Arabic name.

The woman was about to organise the payment, when I put my oar in and told her it was definitely a scam.

I googled the details and it showed a result for a well known scam.

All in all, another stupid one! It's learning by doing. Read so many stories about woman fall into this kind of trap but non of them learned anything.

And how about man who get ripped off from sweet talking thai women???

I love the disguise but why so upset? She was looking to embezzle his inheritance out of him long term and got her fingers burnt. Ha.

More news to put the farang in bad light when it's surely a Nigerian. If not, we got one back for the team. This pales into insignificance compared to the money and assets Thai woman have tricked western men out of over the years. They are literally world renowned for it!

Som Nam Na 

regards.

Hank

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If I had 1,000 baht for every farang male I have heard saying that, I'd be minted !

Yes heard the same same many times, and then crying on my shoulder, that the farang has now lost everything. This is a day to day happening. Best advice from me, trust no one here in LOS. Keep your assets, money overseas

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Hahaha... Lack of education meets greed (to get her hands on that guy's millions)!

Som nam na!

a lady medical doctor friend got scammed out of big money by an online romance guy. she helped fund expensive private flight to safeguard diamonds with the promise of getting 3 times her money returned. 

Well, I have some sympathy for her. She doesn't need to be told she was very foolish because she knows she was - learned an important lesson. Now, I would imagine she needs a little comforting.

I am glad most Posters on this are not nurses who would turn me away if I injured myself, arising from my own stupidity.

She has now done the right thing and reported it and with some luck whoever that "farang" is will be found and prevented from scamming others, unlikely, I know!

Who are these people? Who gives real money to someone they met online? Sorry to say, but she deserves this fate. Let this be a lesson to her.

When it come to either online dating, or real dating, take your time getting to know the individual Do not enter into an online romance. You have no idea who you are dealing with. Use the internet to make a connection, and then meet. This person may be a big baby, who only looks like a real person, but in reality is a 13 year old. There are an awful lot of emotionally undeveloped people here in LOS, and around the world. People who find it very hard to truly communicate, deal with issues, talk about problems, and work them out. Also, if they are a con artist, if they are only in it for the money, those realizations will manifest themselves over time. It is easy for the con artists, to take advantage of emotionally wounded men, and women, who seem to be willing to do anything to regain a semblance of normality in their lives, with a decent person. Time allows clarity. Never, ever move too quickly. That is the undoing of most guys here, who get into trouble with women. Be a real man. Man up. Do yourself proud. Do our gender proud. Same with women, I guess

I know there are some who will find this kind of talk offensive. How dare he say these things. Well, for those of us who refuse to lead complacent lives of weak PC madness, some of this stuff just needs to be said. I am about as politically incorrect as they come, and I love it!

Had someone try to scam me once. I received an email (to my hotmail address) saying I'd won a Hungarian Lottery.

LoL - of course I knew it was a scam right away. I did a search and found out there actually was a lottery and they even used the correct name of the president of the Hungarian bank that was backing the lottery.

But the original email to me wasn't from a Hungarian address, or even a Euro one. It was from Thailand.
And the scam was that they couldn't transfer the money to my account in Thailand until I paid the transfer and "insurance" fees.

Which I was supposed to do by sending the money via Western Union to a drop in Bangkok.

(Yeah, they weren't very smart but they did have help.)

The "agent" that was emailing me made the mistake (one of many) by suggesting that the next time I was in Thailand I could drop by their office and pay in person. The problem was, I was working in Afghanistan and there was no way for them to know that.

Except they had someone in camp that was telling them who was there and who wasn't.

I tried a couple of times to get them to give me the address to their "office" so that I could drive up from Pattaya the next day, and they (he) kept replying that I should let them know the next time I am arriving in Thailand and they (he) could meet me at the airport.

I then tried to pin him down to a specific Western Union office where I would "send" the money. He was smart enough to not let me know and after a couple more emails I got bored and finished it with one last email.

In the last email I let him know that I knew it was a scam from the beginning, and that I knew he was also involved in a US "Green Card" lottery scam. I told him that I had forwarded all of his emails to the Thai Police. (Who wouldn't be happy about a Nigerian running a scam in their country - yes, I had figured that out as well. Like I said, he/they weren't very smart and had left a lot of trails on the internet).
I told him I had also forwarded all the emails (which contain information in the "headers" that could allow investigators to track where they originated from) to the FBI because of his involvement in the Green Card scam.

I told him that he could probably expect the police to be at his place in the very near future.

Then I said "Wait - was that a knock at your door ? Have the police arrived already ? Wow, that was quick !"

I was hoping that for the next few days at least, every time there was a knock at the door he'd make a beeline to escape out the window (or wherever) thinking it was the cops at the door.

Never did hear from him again after that for some reason !

Six pages and not a single word of sympathy for the victim. Some of you grubby posters have been downright vicious in your comments. You're disgusting, you mangy dogs. Post 12 gives a likely profile of victims of scams, and greed is only one of the traits. Also, there was no mention in the article about the victim expecting a pecuniary advantage - yet some of you emphatically believe that she was. It's equally likely that she was simply seduced. Naive, gullible but ultimately without an ulterior motive. 

What a nasty and unpleasant thread. 

Just now, Dexlowe said:

Six pages and not a single word of sympathy for the victim. Some of you grubby posters have been downright vicious in your comments. You're disgusting, you mangy dogs. Post 12 gives a likely profile of victims of scams, and greed is only one of the traits. Also, there was no mention in the article about the victim expecting a pecuniary advantage - yet some of you emphatically believe that she was. It's equally likely that she was simply seduced. Naive, gullible but ultimately without an ulterior motive. 

What a nasty and unpleasant thread. 

So you reckon i am a disgusting mangy dog.... WOW????????????????.

So what do you reckon of my ex, who lied scammed me every chance she got.

Stabbed me yet managed to get me arrested for assault, after she had conned nearly 4 million baht out of me.

Stop with your pathetic comments about fellow members, its not nice.

These scams, usually by Nigerians, are a worldwide problem. I recently read quite an interesting news story about North American women being taken by these scams. The numbers were staggering. And the police can only do something if the scam was perpetrated on their soil. Nigeria is "untouchable". The problem is not that "Patty" is a Thai. Either greed or dreams of romance got her by the short and curlies, same as women worldwide.

But !!! With modern technology (video call), this could have been so easily avoided.

Archived