10M Baht Sin Sod, and a prenup

curiousjohn

I have been with my girlfriend for about a year, and would like to settle down. I asked her how much Sin Sod her parents expect, and she said her sister got about 10M Baht of Sin Sod. However, she said the parents did not take the money, but wanted them to put the money as their marital property instead. The parents also bought a 20M Baht condo for her sister after they got married. She also said her parents would like me to sign a prenup, so basically any income or properties she gets from the family later on will belong to her only.

My girlfriend is from a wealthy family, and went to study abroad since high school. She said her parents lease land to retail stores. She always wanted to split our bills, and she is working full time. However, she said her mom has always been a stay-at-home mom, so they expect the son-in-law to provide more financially for her when she has kids. She does not need to support her parents though. I think this is normal not just in Thailand, since raising kids takes lots of work.

So I am just not sure if this is a reasonable amount for Sin Sod, since what I heard from other expats is that the family would take Sin Sod, but the amount is usually much lower. 10M is much higher but it will be for us after getting married. My friend said sometimes parents set Sin Sod to be high if they do not want their daughter to marry the guy. Does it sound like this in this case?

For the OP sorry no offense but are you a troll or something like that?

More seriously 10 m bhts is just ridiculous

but if your salary is 100 m bhts'year, it's just peanuts for you!

As you write her family is already very wealthy

why on earth do you want make them wealthy more?

If it's just a face saving problem, you can get a deal

they give you and your future wife the 10 millions in gold/money or whatever they want

just before the ceremony, and you give them back just after, like they do in most of the

case.

If they don't agree, just think 2 times before to get married with a greedy family

it should be a long and painful way of cross.

And you can also answer now to your future wife

you prefer only pay her with your love, not money involved

anyway she worth much more than only 10 millions, she is invaluable for you!

Sounds like you are swimming in some very deep water.  If your family plays with this crowd it would probably be a normal thing.......if not, up to you.  If I had 10M for a Sin Sod it would have to be for a very, very special person.....and if you have that kind of $$ you had better ask for your own PreNup as well.

If the family will be giving the OP's girl assets after marriage, a prenup segregating those assets is reasonable, because Thai law splits assets accumulated after marriage 50:50 in the event of divorce.

10 M baht is a lot for sin sod. The concept usually only applies to virgins. My concern would be what redress the OP has if the family decides to keep the 10M baht instead.

Wealthy parents, studied abroad, she' worth at least 20 million...????

Sin sod is a dog and pony show to show off for friends and family...don't forget you will be likely buying gifts for many...especially the dozen or more monks in attendance to bless the wedding...

Tell her no prenup agreement...you would never think of doing such a thing to her if the rolls were reversed...stick to your position...

Good Luck! 

Is it just me or do other people also think that there is a group of TV people somewhere joining under fake names and then posting provacative posts just to get clicks?? I think they call it 'click-bait'.  Amazing how many newbies post such provocative subjects as their first and often only post. And I am beginning to be suspicious about all the 'news' stories being posted that 'fire up' the click meters - especially about Trump and Johnson. Just saying. And adding a click ????

5 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Is it just me or do other people also think that there is a group of TV people somewhere joining under fake names and then posting provacative posts just to get clicks?? I think they call it 'click-bait'.  Amazing how many newbies post such provocative subjects as their first and often only post. And I am beginning to be suspicious about all the 'news' stories being posted that 'fire up' the click meters - especially about Trump and Johnson. Just saying. And adding a click ????

It could be. But also could be, that the person which some provocative post not want use his normal name. Therefore he use a new synonym. So if there would be a <deleted>storm or something then it would have nothing to do with his real (first avatar). Same as when asking about a critical topic it's easier to use a new name instead of using his long used name.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, curiousjohn said:

10M is much higher but it will be for us after getting married.

NO, NO, NO it will not be for YOU. According to the OP the money is to be used for marital property, which will become all hers according to the prenup.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, curiousjohn said:

So I am just not sure if this is a reasonable amount for Sin Sod, since what I heard from other expats is that the family would take Sin Sod, but the amount is usually much lower. 10M is much higher

They are taking the p***. The most I've heard a uni educated Thai Chinese virgin gets is ONE million baht. For superstar marriages it is more, but superstars don't have normal jobs.

Sounds like the long con to me. Get buffalo farang to pay 10 million baht for marital property and then gets divorced- she gets everything. Farang poorer and wiser realises he's been conned.

First post- I'm assuming OP is a newbie. I suggest reading every thread in the Marriage and DIVORCE TVF subforum. Very educational.

BTW, NO, your's is NOT different.

Why does it matter? You're rich; her family is rich; and once you're married you're part of the family.

Asking for advice here is pointless. Either marry her in Thailand and go along with her and her family, or marry her in your home country and, effectively, do things your way. Or just break up and find someone with less baggage and less money!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

sorry if you think this were rude,
but look at it the other way:
they want to know whether they admit a sponger in the family
or someone capable of holding up his own trousers.
And in that context, showing you can raise some 300K of liquidity is probably not excessive.

and a pre-nup is good common sense, read the rules about marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds a bit absurd to me. My Thai wife is an American citizen as are both her Thai parents. He is a retired engineer and mom was a school teacher. They returned to Thailand after working some time in the US after being educated there and my wife was born and raised in Chiang Mai but is a US citizen as well and came back to the US for university. My wife has a bus degree in marketing from UCLA. I am a business lawyer. We live in the US full time with no intention of making Thailand our home. In other words everyone is doing ok. Not once was this subject ever broached when we got engaged 11 years ago. I asked my wife about this and her thoughts were that it’s more of a countryside tradition that she hasn’t seen much of in the urban areas. She just gasped when she read this post! You may want to seriously rethink this relationship!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...

HI, you're a troll, but just in case....

My first Thai gf was young and wealthy. Wealthy enough to study in Canada where I met her. Her parents asked for 1 million, I said no way and I got dumped.

Got married to my mid so wife. Parents asked 1 million with everything to be returned to me. I said, of great, so you put up the sinsod. She did. 3 years later she dumps me.

As a matter of fact every single Thai girl I was with dumped me. Maybe it's not a good idea to take any advice from me, but at least I still got my money,

Archived