Young climate strikers "drop dead" at Thai environment ministry

snoop1130

Young climate strikers "drop dead" at Thai environment ministry

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat

65132.PNG

Environmental activist play dead as they participate in a Global Climate Strike near the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment office in Bangkok, Thailand September 20, 2019. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - More than 200 young people in Thailand stormed into the environment ministry on Friday and dropped to the ground feigning death as they demanded government action on climate change along with thousands of strikers around the world.

The young strikers were chanting “Save our Earth” as they marched into the government compound, before lying down on the ground to play dead.

“This is what will happen if we don’t act on climate change now,” said one of the strike leaders, Nanticha Ocharoenchai, 21.

“Today we are demanding that the Thai government declare a climate emergency and stop using fossil fuel.”

Young children were seen carrying colored placards in one hand and holding a parent’s hands in the other.

One teenager also held a poster that read, “The planet is getting hotter than my imaginary boyfriend.”

“We’re young, but we’re not dumb. We know it’s happening. We need change. We demand better,” said activist Ralyn “Lilly” Satidtanasarn, 11, to cheering crowds.

The Bangkok strike was part protests taking place in some 150 countries on Friday, inspired by the 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, who urged students and others from around the world to speak in one voice about the impending effects of climate change on the planet.

“We’re skipping school because teachers teach us how to work in the future, but if we don’t do this, there will be no future for us to work in,” said Peem Prasertsuntarasai, 11.

Peem joined the strike with two schoolmates, Ari and Jay, holding placards featuring drawings of melting icebergs and power plants emitting dark smoke.

“So what’s the point of studying in school if the world’s gonna be gone?”

A senior official at the Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment came out to accept a letter from the students, saying he was supportive of the student action.

“This is how young people express their concerns, which we deem as a good sign and not at all a nuisance,” Adisorn Noochdumrong, deputy permanent secretary of the ministry, told Reuters. “We encourage it.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-20

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Environmental awareness, and as part of a global community effort to boot! I hope this also translates into concrete actions, such as refusing plastic bags, walking rather than take a motorcycle taxi, switch to a vegetarian diet, bring their reusable bottle to the coffee shop and enjoy that iced coffee without a straw, and so on. 

5 minutes ago, scavenger said:

I hope this also translates into concrete actions, such as refusing plastic bags, walking rather than take a motorcycle taxi, switch to a vegetarian diet, bring their reusable bottle to the coffee shop and enjoy that iced coffee without a straw, and so on.

I think it's more likely to translate into concrete solutions such as new shopping malls, condos and elevated highways.

The world is really in trouble if we start taking instructions from ignorant narcissists like these.

1 hour ago, scavenger said:

Environmental awareness, and as part of a global community effort to boot! I hope this also translates into concrete actions, such as refusing plastic bags, walking rather than take a motorcycle taxi, switch to a vegetarian diet, bring their reusable bottle to the coffee shop and enjoy that iced coffee without a straw, and so on. 

1 hour ago, RickBradford said:

I think it's more likely to translate into concrete solutions such as new shopping malls, condos and elevated highways.

The world is really in trouble if we start taking instructions from ignorant narcissists like these.

My experience work, and it is related is that environmental stuff has made an impact.

Ironically, on oceanographic ships, full of scientists, people chuck things over the side without caring a toss; but move to an oil & gas industry ship and try the same thing, and you're toast.

This, I think, is indicative of where the solutions lie. Countries that do well out of tourism need to stay pretty or they feel it in the wallet when people go elsewhere. In Thailand you get your bins emptied and your recycling picked up very frequently; in the UK they bleed you dry with tax and leave it a fortnight.

Some of the solution is about compelling manufacturers to change their packaging and manufacturing, and that's where legislation comes in, but individuals are incredibly lazy and most of the domestic recycling you do in the west is a complete waste of time, as it's contaminated anyway.

Young activists aren't foregoing the lifestyle and the pollution it brings; but at a job, you need or want the money, or if a business you don't want to pay fines or extra costs, and money talks. It's not clear what specific policies these protesters want changed, but they might not like the price of environmentalism.

17 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

In Thailand you get your bins emptied and your recycling picked up very frequently;

Alaiwah? Once a week if lucky and never seen a recycling truck, just the usual truck with somchais hanging off the side. In the sticks there's no service whatsoever, they just burn the stuff.

This is closer to the truth than the rosy picture you paint:

20 minutes ago, kingdong said:

The problem is the world has too many people on it,tackle the disease not the symptons.

The western countries are doing fairly well there, birth rate starting to drop under replacement rate. Feminism solved it, nobody wants to touch them with a barge pole. It's seeping into Asia slowly, but it's coming. The main problem is Africa and it's population explosion.

https://populationmatters.org/the-facts/the-numbers

pop%20growth%20conti%20sq%20no%20logo-14

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

In the sticks there's no service whatsoever, they just burn the stuff.

Nah they are   starting to offer  rubbish collection, where I lived  " in the sticks"

( True Brit) they brought it in 2  years ago, the previous 5  they would  burn it, even so some of them are so tight they wont pay the 20 baht  for it.

What a bunch of clowns, haven’t a clue what they are demanding.

All have smart phones, consumer multinational garbage, pollute the environment with their consumption and think they’re rebellious. Nothing could be further from reality, sheeple conformists. Pathetic.

pretty sad that some people are targeting young head of mush to play out this charade. Most are too young to make intelligent decisions or learn they are but pawns in the huge scam. And for any 'adults' who actually listen to this drivel, I suggest you also ask them for their expert financial planning advise.

absolute nuts.

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Alaiwah? Once a week if lucky and never seen a recycling truck, just the usual truck with somchais hanging off the side. In the sticks there's no service whatsoever, they just burn the stuff.

This is closer to the truth than the rosy picture you paint:

No kidding .   Demonstrate against litter, plastic bag production and deforestation.   Climate change is a political too for controlling Muppets.  Try something that benefits everyone excluding politicians and crazy far left professors.

4 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

It's all very well saying you have regular rubbish collections, but the important thing is where does it go, is it sorted into re-cycling good stuff, or is it as i suspect dumped on waste ground somewhere out of sight (for a while) or even worse in the sea rivers etc.?

I hope the re-cycling is working up here.  on one day we are asked to put out hardware , bottles tins etc, another collecting day is garden waste etc. Of course it may well end up in a pile at the local tip.

Oh garden waste does not apply to a house 10 metres away as yesterday some trees were cut down and they right now are being burnt.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Today we are demanding that the Thai government declare a climate emergency and stop using fossil fuel.”

reality check please.....

The Earth's axis is tilted 23.5 degrees from the plane of its orbit around the sun. But this tilt changes during a cycle , The tilt of the axis varies between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees. Because this tilt changes, the seasons as we know them become exaggerated

Archived