Young climate strikers "drop dead" at Thai environment ministry

snoop1130

5 hours ago, RideJocky said:

If people really think the world as we know it will end in twelve years as the coasts are all reclaimed by the oceans, why do they continue to buy beachfront property?

The clever ones will buy penthouses. Nothing like deep sea fishing right from your own balcony.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2019 at 5:07 PM, snoop1130 said:

“So what’s the point of studying in school if the world’s gonna be gone?”

Exactly.  Get back to school until you know what you're talking about; the world's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future and your working life is not going to be cut short!. 

It really heartens me that the young people of Thailand care about the Environment.

Not just the Global situation, but also the seriousness of the Pollution, of not just the Air in their own country, but the Pollution of the Oceans surrounding Thailand, which is considered by many Organisations to be the 6th biggest Polluter on the Planet.

Well done young people

On 9/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, spidermike007 said:

I know it is a small thing. But:

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

On the subject of plastic bags, I bought a single item from Homepro (upstairs Bic C Pattaya klang) and the check-out girl was asking each customer if they wanted a bag which was 1 baht extra; the guy in front of me said no - as did I. I also read on the Thaiger website a couple of weeks ago that Seven11 was making a big noise about saving vast amounts of plastic bags, but I don't know as I rarely use them.

Climate change due to us is accelerating and on a very dangerous course," said Prof Brian Hoskins, chair of the Grantham Institute, Imperial College London, and professor of meteorology, University of Reading.

"We should listen to the loud cry coming from the schoolchildren. There is an emergency - one for action in both rapidly reducing our greenhouse gas emissions towards zero and adapting to the inevitable changes in climate."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49773869

Climate change is fact! Since the world began, there have been changes in the climate over millions of years from Ice Age to Extremely Hot Ages, caused by the changes in the angle of the earth's rotation in relation to the sun plus other climatic factors. Since the 1700s, the earth has gradually been getting warmer, but what we are doing is accelerating the process through overpopulation, deforestation and pollution. Our beautiful world will get hotter, without doubt, and that we cannot control. However, we can control the rate of that change by taking anti pollution measures. We need to listen to today's young people. They will shape the future long after we are dust!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

GLOBAL CLIMATE STRIKE

GLOBAL CLIMATE STRIKE IN CHIANG MAI

Friday, September 27, 3:00 PM  Tha Phae Gate
Mun Mueang Rd, Si Phum, Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand

Seems like Chiangmai Mai is in its own little world as this is 1 week after the rest of the globe:-)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Climate change is fact! Since the world began, there have been changes in the climate over millions of years from Ice Age to Extremely Hot Ages, caused by the changes in the angle of the earth's rotation in relation to the sun plus other climatic factors. Since the 1700s, the earth has gradually been getting warmer, but what we are doing is accelerating the process through overpopulation, deforestation and pollution. Our beautiful world will get hotter, without doubt, and that we cannot control. However, we can control the rate of that change by taking anti pollution measures. We need to listen to today's young people. They will shape the future long after we are dust!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Long after we’re dust, won’t they be dust as well?

10 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

On the subject of plastic bags, I bought a single item from Homepro (upstairs Bic C Pattaya klang) and the check-out girl was asking each customer if they wanted a bag which was 1 baht extra; the guy in front of me said no - as did I. I also read on the Thaiger website a couple of weeks ago that Seven11 was making a big noise about saving vast amounts of plastic bags, but I don't know as I rarely use them.

I bought 3 items there last week and still had to pay one baht for a bag

On 9/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, spidermike007 said:

I know it is a small thing. But:

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

I usually carry a plastic bag in my pocket for last minute purchases. 

Shopping i take a foam Esky (foam box) and a sugar bag, it holds lots of items without needing plastic bags. 

So many haters on this site and it shows what a lowly sad lot a good majority of the expats are here in this country. The future is theirs no yours. You'll all be dad and buried when these kids have to live with the effects. Keep your heads in the sand but all I have to say : What if you are WRONG? You may think it's a hoax but what's wrong in doing what we can to create a world using non-polluting sustainable energy to care for the planet? F***ng dinosaurs opposed to progress. 

Shut your traps and listen to the youth. 

On 9/21/2019 at 7:06 AM, Thechook said:

They had a rally in Melbourne yesterday also and you should have seen the piles of rubbish they left behind.

No they didn't That was a lie. Some coal activiists posted a picture from rubbish left from a cannabis protest in that had not even been held in Sydney years ago. YOU are the kind of people that spread misinformation and believe the lies. Be ashamed of yourself liar. 

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/climate-strike-rubbish-photo-hoax/

On 9/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, Cabradelmar said:

???????????? being passionate about arresting a global issue is never a bad thing. All you jaded old farts can <deleted> off... 

I'm completely shocked at the comments here. I'm disgusted actually that they think the youth shouldn't have a voice but these old a holes that should be sent to the glue factory think they know what's right. 

So many haters on this site and it shows what a lowly sad lot a good majority of the expats are here in this country. The future is theirs no yours. You'll all be dad and buried when these kids have to live with the effects. Keep your heads in the sand but all I have to say : What if you are WRONG? You may think it's a hoax but what's wrong in doing what we can to create a world using non-polluting sustainable energy to care for the planet? F***ng dinosaurs opposed to progress. 

Shut your traps and listen to the youth. 

Yes, the children know, listen to them!

We all knew when we were children, remember?

Lots of mixing between climate change and plain old pollution. Everybody wants clean air, that's a non-brainer, but man made climate change is still an unproved theory based on a limited computer model. The things that should be done are pretty much the same though, clean tech. I'm all for renewables, controlling the human population, etc.

Having fundamentalist nutcases reeeeing on the streets is not helping one bit. Go to an engineering school and invent some envirotech. And stop bleeding tears when you hear the word nuclear. Bunch of amygdala steered balls of flaky emotion with no talents. Somebody ring the bell, a round of bitchslaps is in order.

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Lots of mixing between climate change and plain old pollution. Everybody wants clean air, that's a non-brainer, but man made climate change is still an unproved theory based on a limited computer model. The things that should be done are pretty much the same though, clean tech. I'm all for renewables, controlling the human population, etc.

Having fundamentalist nutcases reeeeing on the streets is not helping one bit. Go to an engineering school and invent some envirotech. And stop bleeding tears when you hear the word nuclear. Bunch of amygdala steered balls of flaky emotion with no talents. Somebody ring the bell, a round of bitchslaps is in order.

"man made climate change is still an unproved theory based on a limited computer model."

Yes, that's right, there's only one computer model that has been used by the thousands of climate scientists around the world that have come up with a 97% + consensus that climate change out of the normal as being witnessed globally on a daily basis is caused by anthropogenic and the UN has been bamboozled into this myth. Further, the famously Marxist UK government, under one known leftie, Theresa May, declared a "climate emergency" in April this year, all on the basis on one unproven computer model. Only that "very stable genius", Donald Trump, knows the truth of the matter, eh?  Simples!

And of course, the insurance industry, another famous leftie institution which has also signed up to ACR for many years, is also being fooled by your single unproven theory in calculating insurance premiums. They should really be listening to a bunch of geniuses like yourself who get their kicks posting verbal attacks (with violent undertones in many cases) on youth and adults who are prepared to take the case for concerted governmental action on to the streets worldwide last Friday....and will again next Friday and the one after, until governments wake up to the need to alter economic policy and halt ridiculous giant subsidies to the fossil fuel industry,  as they have been doing for years.

For those concerned, here is the scientific rebuttal of all arguments by global warming deniers, given in at least two different levels of difficulty in English language, or in a variety of other languages: https://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I recommend sticking to the basic level with global warming deniers in general. Their narrow-mindedness is comparable only to that of diehard Ptolemaic scholars at the time of Copernican Revolution.

1 hour ago, plachon said:

Yes, that's right, there's only one computer model that has been used by the thousands of climate scientists around the world that have come up with a 97% + consensus that climate change out of the normal as being witnessed globally on a daily basis is caused by anthropogenic and the UN has been bamboozled into this myth.

I propose an experiment. For one week, let's spew out as much CO2 as the mankind can muster. Then observe the effect to climate. You know, real world experimenting instead of tweaking a model that's never been put through it's paces. After you got repeatable results, then I'll believe the model has merit. Until then, it's a theory.

4 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

It is interesting that the 97% seems to be a constant. Hasn’t gone up or down in twenty years.

If something is as high as 97% and it's still just an unproven theory, it's suspect as hell. 80% or so would be more believable.

28 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

It is interesting that the 97% seems to be a constant. Hasn’t gone up or down in twenty years.

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

If something is as high as 97% and it's still just an unproven theory, it's suspect as hell. 80% or so would be more believable.

You are both wrong of course:

https://skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus.htm

1 hour ago, Camillof said:

Science achieves a consensus when scientists stop arguing.  When a question is first asked – like ‘what would happen if we put a load more CO2 in the atmosphere?’ – there may be many hypotheses about cause and effect. Over a period of time, each idea is tested and retested – the processes of the scientific method – because all scientists know that reputation and kudos go to those who find the right answer (and everyone else becomes an irrelevant footnote in the history of science). 

I think I missed the days when they pumped the atmosphere full of CO2 and then removed it, must've been multiple times since it's been tested and retested.

Archived