Is Chiangmai becoming a ghost town?

EricTh

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! He means hordes of  tourists  are  not there? Rain season. Oh really? Thai  baht is  strong? Yes. World economy  is on a  back foot?  Damn right Thai Immigration an issue ?   <deleted> !

Tourism is reliant  on excess of  disposable income. It is  not  so abundant right  now.

Fear  mongering? I would  suggest a  rational  caution .

This  guy is  a promoter  in the  face of  real impact that has little to do with   just Thailand.

Video made in the first week of September, the season never really kicks into gear until October.

Yes, the reputation of the city will have been affected by this year's particularly bad smog season and increasing awareness of Immigration Officer hostility towards westerners, while the devalued Yuan will limit the number of Chinese (it will still feel like too many), but the fact that the video already has well over 100K views suggests that interest in Chiang Mai is still high.

I'd bet a few baht that this guy will post another video in December about how overcrowded Chiang Mai is ????

I have lunch in the Old City every day. The front of the restaurant is open to the main street and as I eat, I can see a stead stream of Chinese tourists pushing and pulling their rolling suitcases. Steady stream...   And it will be even more in ten days when the Chinese 'Golden Week' holiday begins.

Intermixed with these Chinese folks, I see plenty of young Western travelers, loaded down with a backpack, front pack, and neck pillow wandering down the soi looking for their guest house.

And this is Rainy Season. Slow time for tourists. But there sure are plenty of them around!

My daughter visits Thailand every so often, and always asks about Chiangmai.  I caution about the ever-worsening burn season.  So the window seems to close down to October/November—between the rain and the smoke.  Not sure after that...

15 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Thai Immigration an issue ?   <deleted> !

14 hours ago, donnacha said:

increasing awareness of Immigration Officer hostility towards westerners, ????

Never heard of immigration issues / hostility towards legitimate tourists. All the "reports" we get here on TV are of people trying to stay here long time by circumventing the system.

46 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Never heard of immigration issues / hostility towards legitimate tourists. All the "reports" we get here on TV are of people trying to stay here long time by circumventing the system.

Yes.

I believe he made a bogus comment something like : everyone is getting denied on tourist visa.

Not sure where he was but sure looked like many cars, motorbikes and people wandering about.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Obviously not looking very hard.. Many have been reported and visa rules changed which do effect genuine tourists. 

That said, its far from a ghost town.. Wish it was a lot more 'ghosty' personally. 

Archived