Accept pattaya for why the city was created or lose the $£€

usualsuspect

Its a problem they cant reslove,a city was created by single western men,from a small fishing village,as everybody knows.

This city that has thrived for 40 years or so and grown and grown started to think of itself as a major city/tourist destination such as florida,and is now intent on driving away the single western man that built the city,to attract 'quality tourists'

Now the western single men feeling that thier money (that built a city from a fishing village) is no longer appreciated and is unwanted have moved to cambodia,vietnam and the phillipines.

Now pattaya is struggling, the baht is strong against every currency,the single western man is no longer wanted in the city he created. 

Pattaya will die because it has forgotten why it exists to begin with.

......... what did they get?

Half a million indians ????

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Most Thai people associated with business in Pattaya would probably disagree with you.

Yes true, but businesses are closing as the falang are not coming and they represent a very small portion of the NEW tourist demographic.

but it is devastating for the small businesses associated with falang business. 

But those adapting may have a better chance.

but the fact reamains, they want the sex tourist out, and change this embarrassment into a family destination.

17 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Yes true, but businesses are closing as the falang are not coming and they represent a very small portion of the NEW tourist demographic.

but it is devastating for the small businesses associated with falang business. 

But those adapting may have a better chance.

but the fact reamains, they want the sex tourist out, and change this embarrassment into a family destination.

Their country their rules. No shortage of poontang in Bangkok or anywhere else. There will still be plenty of P4P in Pattaya no matter what happens. Might not be so visible.

The OP didn't get it right for the origin of vice in Pattaya, it was the started when Vietnam war R&R US soldiers started to come to Pattaya where by Thai entrepreneurs who saw the need opened beer and girly bars quickly followed by all other vices and the rest is history, so to blame foreigners for ruining Pattaya image in utter nonsense...

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

The OP didn't get it right for the origin of vice in Pattaya, it was the started when Vietnam war R&R US soldiers started to come to Pattaya where by Thai entrepreneurs who saw the need opened beer and girly bars quickly followed by all other vices and the rest is history, so to blame foreigners for ruining Pattaya image in utter nonsense...

Agree remember reading history a long time ago funny how some people post about Pattaya OP's has it wrong your right, the Nick guy who opened Gogo bars when the Yanks arrived probably heard of bars in America even places in UK like Soho and other places around the world were up and running well before Pattaya.

Try finding out about the guy Nick it seems everything is blocked.

There are other aspects to Pattaya's history, it was already a destination for Thais/tourists way before the Vietnam war etc.

People tend to tell the sexpat/R&R story to justify the sexpat lifestyle or "we built this place" narrative. (OP appears to have drunk the koolaid)

If you google "Parinya Chawalitthamrong" there are lots of stories of this Thai businessman developing Pattaya as a tourist place in the late 1940s

Pattaya’s development as a resort Mecca actually started back in 1948 when Mr Parinya Chawalitthamrong saw the potential of the area, with its beautiful beaches and close proximity to Bangkok. He purchased large plots of land around Pattaya with the intention of developing it into a tourist hub. He also started the infrastructure that is the foundation of today’s city.

By 1955, regular bus tour groups of 40-50 people from Bangkok at a time were arriving. Back then, Pattaya was no more than a pristine beach with a lush backdrop of jungle and few scattered buildings. Bangkok’s elite and other influential Thais also increasingly used their weekend breaks and holidays for a visit. 

A lot of the orwellian acounts of history get some of the dates very wrong, supposedly the GIs arrived in the late 1950s (when there was no US involvement in the Vietnam war or troops in Thailand).

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Pattaya’s development as a resort Mecca actually started back in 1948 when Mr Parinya Chawalitthamrong saw the potential of the area....He also started the infrastructure that is the foundation of today’s city....

Unfortunely, despite the billions and billions of bahts generated by the tourism, they have not improved a lot the infrastructure since this time, and it's a big part of the actual problems.

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Unfortunely, despite the billions and billions of bahts generated by the tourism, they have not improved a lot the infrastructure since this time, and it's a big part of the actual problems.

False.

There are major infrastructure projects not only in and around Pattaya, Bangkok but the entire country.

The only reason I can think why people make these type comments is that they have never been here.

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

False.

There are major infrastructure projects not only in and around Pattaya, Bangkok but the entire country.

The only reason I can think why people make these type comments is that they have never been here.

I think he was referring to things like sewage treatment and the like, instead of allowing raw poops to enter the bay send it to a real fully working poop cleaning farm ???? 

We can all see the new roads and the like but you have to agree that the bay (water) is a disgrace.

Sorry mods, slightly off topic just clarifying a point.

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

False.

Some facts

i come in Pattaya since 20 years and i live in Thailand full time since 6 years (2 years in Pattaya)

i am not talking about the ''projects'', i am talking about real works done.

For Pattaya they have at most realised a highway from Bkk and a renovation of the beach 

which was a semi failure.

Where are the wastewater treatments plants?

Where is the correct network for the evacuation of the rainwater?

Where is the good maintenance of the road network?

Where are the sidewalks, and when they exists why they are in a very poor condition?

Why thousands of taxis. legal or not, are allowed to turn h24 like hyenas on the lookout

all around the city center?

Why there is no plan to park all the buses on relay parking outside of the city

with a smooth and non polluant transport (Like a tramway) to achemine the tourists in the center?

and so on....

Yes little bit of work in progress actualy

but too little, too late, and most of the time more pocket to fill with some back table rather than real good result work.

And i do not even talk about the anarchic planning which seems to drive the road works

just because of the silly excuse ''we have to spend the money now or never''

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes, still waiting for a few pedestrian pavements. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

False.

Oh get real.  We are talking about Pattaya, There have been a few Malls and condos chucked up but it still floods every rainy season, Beach Rd looks like a warzone again , it smells of poo and pedestrians get crushed under coaches due to no pavements. Traffic is stationary and lights have to be controlled by policemen! The fact that the power stays on is more by good fortune than infrastructure projects. 

For years and years, most of the ''tourists'' in Pattaya (Me included)

were lonely male looking for young cheap pussy, so nobody was interested

to bother (Falang tourists and Thai authorities) with the crazy traffic, the bad roads, the pollution, the dirty sea,  ...(Endless list)

the money was changing from hand to hand, nothing was done to improve the city

and everybody was happy with that.

But...

Someone somewhere has decided that Pattaya was the shame of the country and 

it suddenly need to be turned in a quality family international resort, of course without the necessary long term investment

And now we can all see what the situation is

the mongers are not welcome anymore

(Anyway the pussies are less numerous, more old and not so cheap now)

and the families for some reasons and the hi so tourists (A lot of better places, safer, cleaner, cheaper for them) are not coming either or they come one time and never comeback, and they inform the others about the situation here (Internet can promote or demolish a place very quicly nowadays)

Let's see what the future is going to be

but for the indians, not sure if they can contribute to do a quality resort nor a family destination

i had 5 of them beside me yesterday on Pattaya beach 

they was all 5 face to the sunset, urinating in the sea, and they ''forgot'' they beer bottle on the sand when they left, all of this just in front of the Hilton

i am not sure the Hi so and the family tourists are going to like it ????

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Oh get real.  We are talking about Pattaya, There have been a few Malls and condos chucked up but it still floods every rainy season, Beach Rd looks like a warzone again , it smells of poo and pedestrians get crushed under coaches due to no pavements. Traffic is stationary and lights have to be controlled by policemen! The fact that the power stays on is more by good fortune than infrastructure projects. 

yes but is there anything about Pattaya that sets it aside from the rest of the country? :clap2:

19 hours ago, usualsuspect said:

Now the western single men feeling that thier money (that built a city from a fishing village) is no longer appreciated and is unwanted have moved to cambodia,vietnam and the phillipines.

Correction: Now the MUCH OLDER western single men feeling that thier money (that built a city from a fishing village) is no longer appreciated and is unwanted have moved to cambodia,vietnam and the phillipines.

The younger western single men don't monger anymore, mainly because political correctness hadn't been invented back in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

Correct. The GI's mostly did their Thai deflowering in Bangkok. Those that had already been there and done that and wanted a complete getaway from these excesses would make the (then) 3-4 hour drive to Pattaya where there was a beach with clean water and pretty much <deleted> all else. The entrepreneurial Thais were the ones that brought pussy to Pattaya. The beer and ice was already there.

I never understood this desire to convert a sleazehole like Pattaya into a quality family holiday destination. I mean, the world is full of quality family holiday destinations, but there's only ever been one Pattaya, so why try to wreck it?

I know, I know, it's all about saving face and Buddhist sensibility. Plus somebody in TAT and the tourism ministry must reckon there's far more money to be made off a zillion Chinese visitors on zero-dollar tours than from sexpats and sex tourists. I'm sure that's true for the wealthy Thai businessmen and politicians who are involved in the Chinese tour business, but it doesn't apply to most of the ordinary Thai people who work in the hospitality industry in the city.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:02 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Unfortunately u r not in charge. The falang have turned pattaya into the embarrassment of Thailand.  It is known worldwide as the whorehouse of the world. Projecting a negative image. 

Thats why they want the falang out, and are trying to change it.

Nonesense. Most bars are owned by Thais. Nobody want foreigners out. Adult entertainment is world wide but the Thais do it better. I did not say I was in charge. You are not in charge but your views are wishful thinking. Most Thais do not think this way.  More and more Thais, especially Bangkokians visit Pattaya as the last Thai city in Thailand where fun is allowed. There is a lot more to Pattaya than vice but as you havent been to Pattaya you would not know that.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, NanLaew said:

Correction: Now the MUCH OLDER western single men feeling that thier money (that built a city from a fishing village) is no longer appreciated and is unwanted have moved to cambodia,vietnam and the phillipines.

The younger western single men don't monger anymore, mainly because political correctness hadn't been invented back in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

The current young western male has been emasculated

Archived