Accept pattaya for why the city was created or lose the $£€

usualsuspect

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/21/2019 at 7:19 AM, bkk6060 said:

False.

There are major infrastructure projects not only in and around Pattaya, Bangkok but the entire country.

The only reason I can think why people make these type comments is that they have never been here.

How true. Never been to Pattaya but just learnt about it on this forum from Thai bashers and Pattaya haters.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:09 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Some facts

i come in Pattaya since 20 years and i live in Thailand full time since 6 years (2 years in Pattaya)

i am not talking about the ''projects'', i am talking about real works done.

For Pattaya they have at most realised a highway from Bkk and a renovation of the beach 

which was a semi failure.

Where are the wastewater treatments plants?

Where is the correct network for the evacuation of the rainwater?

Where is the good maintenance of the road network?

Where are the sidewalks, and when they exists why they are in a very poor condition?

Why thousands of taxis. legal or not, are allowed to turn h24 like hyenas on the lookout

all around the city center?

Why there is no plan to park all the buses on relay parking outside of the city

with a smooth and non polluant transport (Like a tramway) to achemine the tourists in the center?

and so on....

Yes little bit of work in progress actualy

but too little, too late, and most of the time more pocket to fill with some back table rather than real good result work.

And i do not even talk about the anarchic planning which seems to drive the road works

just because of the silly excuse ''we have to spend the money now or never''

You need to move to Switzerland or Singapore.  Non of the things you mention bother me at all. They dont bother anybody I know. Whats the matter with you that you think so much about about these issues?

14 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You need to move to Switzerland or Singapore.  Non of the things you mention bother me at all. They dont bother anybody I know. Whats the matter with you that you think so much about about these issues?

Aha no way for me to move to a ''clean'' and expansive country!

I am not realy anonying by all these things, i just try to explain why

Pattaya is not becoming a world class family resort, now or in the future.

The worldwide  ''identity'' of Pattaya is a dirty sin city, and it's a good thing

to have at least a place like that here. It's why i live here!

But sometimes things are lost in translation, as english is not my first language

and you have probably misundeerstanding my point of view. I am sorry about that.

Cheers

These opinion threads about how Pattaya is totally doomed this time for sure definitely no doubt never fail to amuse.

There is probably more of the kind of stuff that appeal to older single western males than ever before.  It's just different now.  If you are coming here expecting everything to be the same as it was 20 years ago (including how the women used to react to your 20 years younger self) then yes, you will be disappointed.

Yes, gogos are not as good a deal as before.  A lot of old beer bar complexes are gone or not the same as before.  But there are probably more beer bars and gogos than ever now.  And you don't need to go to gogos to find the best experience shall we say.  But a lot of guys will never believe that and are too lazy to want to do anything else other than sit there staring at a red lit stage with disco balls and calling out numbers of well packaged ideally lit heavily made up companions in high heels.

Things are more spread out now because Pattaya has grown.  If you can't adapt and figure out where to go now and make the place still work for you like it did 20 or even 10 years ago then sucks to be you.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:09 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Some facts

i come in Pattaya since 20 years and i live in Thailand full time since 6 years (2 years in Pattaya)

i am not talking about the ''projects'', i am talking about real works done.

For Pattaya they have at most realised a highway from Bkk and a renovation of the beach 

which was a semi failure.

Where are the wastewater treatments plants?

Where is the correct network for the evacuation of the rainwater?

Where is the good maintenance of the road network?

Where are the sidewalks, and when they exists why they are in a very poor condition?

Why thousands of taxis. legal or not, are allowed to turn h24 like hyenas on the lookout

all around the city center?

Why there is no plan to park all the buses on relay parking outside of the city

with a smooth and non polluant transport (Like a tramway) to achemine the tourists in the center?

and so on....

Yes little bit of work in progress actualy

but too little, too late, and most of the time more pocket to fill with some back table rather than real good result work.

And i do not even talk about the anarchic planning which seems to drive the road works

just because of the silly excuse ''we have to spend the money now or never''

Ah yes the Thailand can't do anything right narrative. What exactly is a semi-failure about the new beach?  Btw, they planned for the washouts in select areas, hench why the sidewalk is shaped like a spillway in those areas or have you not noticed that?  Have you also not noticed how they fill that back in the next day?  So most people don't even notice.  Hardly a failure. 

If it sucks so bad here why not move to the Philippines?  It's cheaper and the infrastructure sucks much more there, so you will have even more things to enjoy complaining about.

Were you also one of the many serial whiners here saying the Pattaya Klang tunnel was totally going to be a failure and will flood every time it rains?  Or how T21 will totally be a failure.  Or how everything else they are doing will totally be a failure.

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

Were you also one of the many serial whiners here saying the Pattaya Klang tunnel was totally going to be a failure and will flood every time it rains?  Or how T21 will totally be a failure.  Or how everything else they are doing will totally be a failure.

You're not JSixPack reincarnated are you............????

On 9/21/2019 at 3:02 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Unfortunately u r not in charge. The falang have turned pattaya into the embarrassment of Thailand.  It is known worldwide as the whorehouse of the world. Projecting a negative image. 

Thats why they want the falang out, and are trying to change it.

I believe you have overlooked that Thais are running the show in Thailand and have pumped money, and other things into what has become Pattaya. It's easy to blame the doctor for the patient's illness, particularly if you don't possess a medical degree.

18 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

How true. Never been to Pattaya but just learnt about it on this forum from Thai bashers and Pattaya haters.

I ignore the haters and bashers and am grateful to live a quiet and peaceful life here.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:04 PM, jacko45k said:

Oh get real.  We are talking about Pattaya, There have been a few Malls and condos chucked up but it still floods every rainy season, Beach Rd looks like a warzone again , it smells of poo and pedestrians get crushed under coaches due to no pavements. Traffic is stationary and lights have to be controlled by policemen! The fact that the power stays on is more by good fortune than infrastructure projects. 

Interesting- have you ever visited? last time I looked there are pavements / promenade all along beach road .

6 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Interesting- have you ever visited? last time I looked there are pavements / promenade all along beach road .

Go again. The one on the seaside is all dug up due to the drainage project. On the land side they are all blocked by hawkers, tarts and confused looking people. I perhaps need to ask if you have ever visited... as you don't seem to know. 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:00 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Yes true, but businesses are closing as the falang are not coming and they represent a very small portion of the NEW tourist demographic.

but it is devastating for the small businesses associated with falang business. 

But those adapting may have a better chance.

but the fact reamains, they want the sex tourist out, and change this embarrassment into a family destination.

It would appear that you are arguing against yourself. You say that falangs destroyed the place by turning it into a whorehouse, and then you are saying that Pattaya is being devastated because farangs are not coming here. 

Farangs are disappearing because the place is being taken over by cheap-sex seeking indians, not families ! Gangs of 8 to 10 of them, forming around 80% of Walking Street,s parade, all looking for one lady to service them all !

A classy bunch they are too, I watched 8 of them performing syncopated urination in the CENTER of the road a few weeks ago in North Pattaya ????

I'm afraid statistics do not agree with you. Uk. tourists are down from 2016 figures which were the highest but are still higher than 2015 or before. The figures for the Philippines show an increase for 2018 but the total number is only a quarter of those coming to Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_Philippines#Country_visitor_statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Perhaps the days of the sex tourism and bar hopping really are over but some will just not accept it.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:41 AM, emptypockets said:

Most Thai people associated with business in Pattaya would probably disagree with you.

Not only thai business people in pattaya will disagree there are even a lot of thai from outside pattaya who visit it regularly and during sonkran or other long weekends its filled with thai from outside the city . 

On 9/21/2019 at 4:00 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Yes true, but businesses are closing as the falang are not coming and they represent a very small portion of the NEW tourist demographic.

but it is devastating for the small businesses associated with falang business. 

But those adapting may have a better chance.

but the fact reamains, they want the sex tourist out, and change this embarrassment into a family destination.

Not going to happen in a hundred years ,it's the only thing that makes pattaya and thailand popular . Ok maybe not the only thing but it's in the top 3 . beaches , streetfood , and massage parlors(hookers) i think 8 out of 10 go to massage parlors for the happy end ,the other 2 for a real massage and. since maybe 2 in a hundred parlors realy know how to do a proper massage,  those 2 people will probably also end up with a happy end or a bad massage ????

47 minutes ago, LennyW said:

It's quite amazing from all the replies on here...people still dont understand there is much more to the Pattaya area than beach road, walking street and Soi 6!!

Most have never ventured further afield than the above areas it appears, if they had they might notice the huge emergence of the EEC, the Eastern Economic Corridor, the continued development of which holds the future prosperity of Thailand as a whole, the big money cares little about the former small fishing village I'm afraid!

On September 21, 2019 at 6:06 AM, ezzra said:

The OP didn't get it right for the origin of vice in Pattaya, it was the started when Vietnam war R&R US soldiers started to come to Pattaya where by Thai entrepreneurs who saw the need opened beer and girly bars quickly followed by all other vices and the rest is history, so to blame foreigners for ruining Pattaya image in utter nonsense...

And pattaya now extends far to the east of where he obviously spends all of his time. Not everyone in Pattaya depends sex tourists for their income and not all businesses, small or large cater to their "needs."  

8 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

ot going to happen in a hundred years ,it's the only thing that makes pattaya and thailand popular . Ok maybe not the only thing but it's in the top 3 . beaches , streetfood , and massage parlors(hookers) i think 8 out of 10 go to massage parlors for the happy end ,the other 2 for a real massage and. since maybe 2 in a hundred parlors realy know how to do a proper massage,  those 2 people will probably also end up with a happy end or a bad massage

I first arrived in Pattaya in 1971- there was only one Western  hotel.  There were very few tourists. I saw no Ameerican military although Vietnam was in full gear.  Most of the Americans went to Bangkok and there were also  many US military Installations all over Thailand.   During that period- there was more 'action' in Udorn or the small cities around Utapao than Pattaya.

What started to destroy Pattaya as a clean and safe city was Thailand's push to  mass tourism.  It was the arrival of mass tourism that caused huge numbers to descend on Pattaya and Thais to build hotels; night entertainment; restaurants and shopping areas geared to Westerners.

Pattaya really had no firm zoning laws and if they did-they were ignored.  The whole section across from Walking Street on the seaside is completely illegal and must be removed. However, money and influence have stopped it.    

While there have been some improvements from 1971 when I first came- they have not been enough compared to the population.  The budget was there- but the funds never went for what needed to be done. The beach has gotten worse- filthy water- the city never built a waterwater and sewage complex-  pure greed.  They thought the tourists would come anyway and never ending numberes.

Eventually, there will be a Thai Adminstration that takes over that will get rid of Walking Street; Soi 6 and gentrify the  area.  I suspect much of the action will relocate to the dark side or to Jomtien.     

The same has happened to Bangkok- Patpong is only a shell of itself and Nana and Cowboy are occupying  tracts of oland that are more valuable than the totality of the business leases.  When the right offer comes along- they will be gone.

Take a look at North Pattaya and the way it is developing and the high end hotels at the beach.  This is the eventual future of the whole of the city.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, jacko45k said:

Oh get real.  We are talking about Pattaya, There have been a few Malls and condos chucked up but it still floods every rainy season, Beach Rd looks like a warzone again , it smells of poo and pedestrians get crushed under coaches due to no pavements. Traffic is stationary and lights have to be controlled by policemen! The fact that the power stays on is more by good fortune than infrastructure projects. 

It is the low season which is the correct time to undertake road, drainage works. When else can they do this? 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, Peterw42 said:

There are other aspects to Pattaya's history, it was already a destination for Thais/tourists way before the Vietnam war etc.

People tend to tell the sexpat/R&R story to justify the sexpat lifestyle or "we built this place" narrative. (OP appears to have drunk the koolaid)

If you google "Parinya Chawalitthamrong" there are lots of stories of this Thai businessman developing Pattaya as a tourist place in the late 1940s

Pattaya’s development as a resort Mecca actually started back in 1948 when Mr Parinya Chawalitthamrong saw the potential of the area, with its beautiful beaches and close proximity to Bangkok. He purchased large plots of land around Pattaya with the intention of developing it into a tourist hub. He also started the infrastructure that is the foundation of today’s city.

By 1955, regular bus tour groups of 40-50 people from Bangkok at a time were arriving. Back then, Pattaya was no more than a pristine beach with a lush backdrop of jungle and few scattered buildings. Bangkok’s elite and other influential Thais also increasingly used their weekend breaks and holidays for a visit. 

A lot of the orwellian acounts of history get some of the dates very wrong, supposedly the GIs arrived in the late 1950s (when there was no US involvement in the Vietnam war or troops in Thailand).

"Bangkok’s elite and other influential Thais also increasingly used their weekend breaks and holidays for a visit."                 I doubt that. Back in 1985 it used to take me sometimes five hours plus to drive from Bangkok to Sattahip. Would it be worth spending that time travelling just for a weekend? Maybe yes. Pattaya was a much better place than it is now. The soul seems to have been ripped out of it.????

70 years later - The more things change - The more they remain the same.

Jan 5, 2019 - Pattaya's development as a resort Mecca actually started back in 1948 when Mr Parinya Chawalitthamrong saw the potential of the area, with ...

It will never become a family destination purely because the place is a dump, polluted water, dirty beaches, dirty and ugly streets, walking street is a sees pit full of over priced restaurants and bars, visited 3 years ago and earlier this year, never again. Mind you, I am married to a nice Thai lady, not looking for a cheap piece of crumpet, so has no appeal to me what so ever.

Archived