Inspired by Swedish teen, worldwide protest demands climate action

rooster59

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We can all live without international air travel, mobile phones and individual cars ( in situations where there is enough public transport as in London- I didn't own a car or m'bike there ). No one HAS to fly on international holidays, or use mobile phones- which are polluting to make ( as it used to be when I was young ).

All arguments made within the spectrum of views that’s are environmentalism, welcome on board.

27 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I might be inclined towards some action if the predictions were anywhere near believable. Attached is just some of the "scientific predictions" that have been made. There are plenty more to be laughed at in other sites.

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions

Offers propaganda from libertarian think tank.

14 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Thailand could have stood out as having not fallen for this nonsense. But with this, they are caught up the modern age.

Well..Thailand has stood out for a number of things-right wing military domination being the most apparent.I am sure that you are quite comfortable with that.

However,I think that Thailand's youth IS getting engaged-albeit slowly-and I admire the youth of the world for becoming so engaged.I have met some pretty impressive youngsters recently both in Thailand and my home country.

On the other hand I have met some absolute and complete intellectual duds amongst the older generation-their souls being a complete jangle of obsessive internet memes..

5 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The science is settled. Old fogies just wont accept the facts. So the youth are doing it for themselves. Well done young lady, there are no negatives in promoting facts against obstinate opinions.

The science is far from settled, unless you mean settled by manipulating data.

As to the wonderful youth. They only know what their parents and teachers constantly push. Very few would actually do any real research of their own.

Kudos to this young lady and her like for pushing the barrow of a very worthy and urgent cause.   However, from wot I have seen generally of today's lazy, careless, selfish youth, she is in an extreme minority.

Yes, I am concerned about the planet we are leaving the next generation..........but I am even more concerned about the next generation we are leaving the planet

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

People / world religions need to face reality.  There is only one answer to climate change and most of the world will not even discuss it: Overpopulation.    

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/population-growth-climate-change/

slide1.jpg

I agree overpopulation is a major problem and should be addressed.

But a graph like this cvould lead to the cponclusion overpopulation is the cause, which is misleading.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

People / world religions need to face reality.  There is only one answer to climate change and most of the world will not even discuss it: Overpopulation.    

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/population-growth-climate-change/

slide1.jpg

Exactly. Too many people. Perhaps its time for a culling? If one destroys the hetero normative patriarchal, bloodsucking, capitalist regime embodied by the imperialist USA and further eliminates the white privledged power structure in favour of the direct impostion of communtiy power via the people, using the political structures of indigenous societies that have been crushed by the rascist jackboots of Judeo Christianity, then one can excersize measures such as population control, which, while flying in the face of bourgeoise so called morality, is a vital step to the preservation of Gaia. One can implement a system that ensures the continuation of progressive policies while at the same time removing surplus populations of politically retrograde enemies of peace and the planet.

The foregoing is intended as irony or sarcasm and in my capitalist envirosceptic social and cultural milieau, we dont beleive in mass murder.

10 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Exactly. Too many people. Perhaps its time for a culling? If one destroys the hetero normative patriarchal, bloodsucking, capitalist regime embodied by the imperialist USA and further eliminates the white privledged power structure in favour of the direct impostion of communtiy power via the people, using the political structures of indigenous societies that have been crushed by the rascist jackboots of Judeo Christianity, then one can excersize measures such as population control, which, while flying in the face of bourgeoise so called morality, is a vital step to the preservation of Gaia. One can implement a system that ensures the continuation of progressive policies while at the same time removing surplus populations of politically retrograde enemies of peace and the planet.

Bloody Anarchist. This forum is overrun with them.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I agree overpopulation is a major problem and should be addressed.

But a graph like this could lead to the conclusion overpopulation is the cause, which is misleading.

So which other species on our planet is burning fossil fuels? 

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Cows and pigs produce vast amounts of methane, which is leading to global warming. Hence many climate campaigners turning to veganism.

Factory farming (plants or animals) is the problem. Traditional grass fed animals are carbon negative.

As for the vegan. Their diet make them infertile which do help with overpopulation. 

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

The science is far from settled, unless you mean settled by manipulating data.

As to the wonderful youth. They only know what their parents and teachers constantly push. Very few would actually do any real research of their own.

The science is settled. Over 1000 scientists from over 120 countries studied thousands upon thousands of documents and studies and made their conclusion.

Perhaps you should have made your own submissions to them.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Cows and pigs produce vast amounts of methane, which is leading to global warming. Hence many climate campaigners turning to veganism.

Methane accounts for around 9% of greenhouse gases.

And which species domesticated the cow and pig, then propagated their numbers into the billions to feed themselves?

10 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I have always been suspicious of the fish. Who knows what they are up to? They do everything underwater. That's very unusual.

You know that makes me think, there are a ton of critters in the water and what do they do in there?

They pee. And poop.

So when you go luxuriating in Phuket then, you are swimming in a fish toilet.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You know nothing, Greta Thunberg.

The thing youths never realise is that having an opinion is not knowledge.

If they were actually wanting to do something, rather than having a love in, they should go out and pick up garbage.

How many of them refuse to travel in fossil fuelled vehicles, don't use mobile phones or avoid air travel? Need I use the H word?

The thing is that Greta Thunberg never say that she know. What she say is "listen to the experts" Do you understand the difference? Furthermore she avoid fossil fuelled as much as possible. Going to USA for FN-meeting etc, she go on a sailyatch, moving around in New York, she take the subway and so on.  

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You know that makes me think, there are a ton of critters in the water and what do they do in there?

They pee. And poop.

So when you go luxuriating in Phuket then, you are swimming in a fish toilet.

Pee and poop is rich in nutrient. One man's trash is another one treasure.

2 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

The WMO really put a kabosh on Greta's cultist and alarmist movement. How easily swayed they are and some for the dollars they accumulate. Take the pigtails away from the Swede and what is she? 

The voice of reason from the youth generation that listens to the settled science without the blinkers of denial.

4 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

The WMO really put a kabosh on Greta's cultist and alarmist movement. How easily swayed they are and some for the dollars they accumulate. Take the pigtails away from the Swede and what is she? 

"Take the pigtails away from the Swede and what is she? "

Still more than you.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Tbl, you know there is a problem, in earlier threads you have admitted to that but feel it is too late to do something about it.

Why not support the people who try to do something, in stead of moaning they're not doing enough or not doing it the right way.

Yes, there is a problem- too many people, too many airplanes in the sky and too much pollution on the ground and in the oceans. The kids' protest doesn't solve any of them.

I'm all for solving pollution, and when they demand something about that, I'll support them. At the moment, far as I can see they have no solutions, and do they actually understand what they are protesting about ( not IMO ).

I do my bit, by not having had children, minimising my car use and recycling. Unfortunately NZ has almost no decent public transport, so I have to use a car ( I got by without in London ).

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, there is a problem- too many people, too many airplanes in the sky and too much pollution on the ground and in the oceans. The kids' protest doesn't solve any of them.

I'm all for solving pollution, and when they demand something about that, I'll support them. At the moment, far as I can see they have no solutions, and do they actually understand what they are protesting about ( not IMO ).

I do my bit, by not having had children, minimising my car use and recycling. Unfortunately NZ has almost no decent public transport, so I have to use a car ( I got by without in London ).

You want the kids to come up with a solution. Please.

Archived