BANGKOK
revgreen

Getting a work permit on O visa?

Hello, I have been staying here based on a marriage visa. I've recently got a job offer that I'm interested in, but they informed me I would need to get a B visa. Is that correct? I would rather not, as it's a hassle to get the new visa, and if anything happens with the job it would be a hassle to make the O visa again (we just finally completed the first 1 year extension).

No need to get a non-b visa to get a work permit and work if you are married to a Thai.

When the work permit is applied for a copy of your marriage certificate is needed to prove the basis for your visa or extension of stay was issued for.

• Thanks 1

You have been misinformed, You can get a WP on a marriage extension. 

I have a work permit, and a non 'O' visa based on marriage.

As well as the marriage certificate, you will also need a signed copy of your wife's ID card. Use blue ink for the signatures.

Ignore what Immigration tell you and ignore what your company tells you Imm' say.

A work permit is issued by the Labour Dep't not Imm' and a Non O extension can support a WP without a problem.

5 hours ago, revgreen said:

I've recently got a job offer that I'm interested in, but they informed me I would need to get a B visa. Is that correct?

Who’s they?

The decision is with the Labour office issuing the WP. As long as you provide proof of your marriage they should issue a WP with an O visa.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Who’s they?

The decision is with the Labour office issuing the WP. As long as you provide proof of your marriage they should issue a WP with an O visa.

HR at the new company.

And yeah I just asked again. They said "We've checked with Bangkok Immigration and this rule is changed you need a B visa."

So I'm thinking I'll just turn this position down. Honestly not worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Ignore what Immigration tell you and ignore what your company tells you Imm' say.

A work permit is issued by the Labour Dep't not Imm' and a Non O extension can support a WP without a problem.

hard to ignore them when they are the ones that have to arrange it all...

2 minutes ago, revgreen said:

Not really, just stand your ground when you're right. It's the same paperwork that they have to produce anyway.

'They' I take it being the company.

Edited by overherebc

5 minutes ago, revgreen said:

They said "We've checked with Bangkok Immigration and this rule is changed you need a B visa."

Immigration does not issue work permits.

The Labor Ministry issues work permits.

Will you be working for a BOI company?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, revgreen said:

HR at the new company.

And yeah I just asked again. They said "We've checked with Bangkok Immigration and this rule is changed you need a B visa."

So I'm thinking I'll just turn this position down. Honestly not worth the hassle.

Immigration always say B visa because they don't know. Tell your HR to call the labour office, not Immigration.

You already have the proper visa/extension to support a WP.

The reason I believe is that when the job finishes you get your B extension cancelled and get 7 days to leave Thailand. Makes it a pain to claim severence etc so there is a good chance people will leave and miss out on what they are due.

You also need to to start again from the beginning to get another O extension.

Edited by overherebc

HR at the new company.

They shouldn't be talking to immigration. Your permit to stay has already been issued ("marriage visa") and is unaffected by working.

HR apply for the WP from the Labour office and should be asking them if the will accept the Non O visa, which they almost certainly will.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

They don't arrange the work permit.

• Immigration issue permission to stay in the country.
  • Labour offices issue permission to work.

HR at the new company.

The rule hasn't changed.

Standard HR response when they don't know and lose face.

• Like 2

I too have a work permit and a marriage visa. I work for my wife who is managing director of our company, and there was never a question of needing a B visa.