Getting a work permit on O visa?

Hello, I have been staying here based on a marriage visa. I've recently got a job offer that I'm interested in, but they informed me I would need to get a B visa. Is that correct? I would rather not, as it's a hassle to get the new visa, and if anything happens with the job it would be a hassle to make the O visa again (we just finally completed the first 1 year extension).

No need to get a non-b visa to get a work permit and work if you are married to a Thai.

When the work permit is applied for a copy of your marriage certificate is needed to prove the basis for your visa or extension of stay was issued for.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, revgreen said:

I've recently got a job offer that I'm interested in, but they informed me I would need to get a B visa. Is that correct?

Who’s they?

The decision is with the Labour office issuing the WP. As long as you provide proof of your marriage they should issue a WP with an O visa.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Who’s they?

The decision is with the Labour office issuing the WP. As long as you provide proof of your marriage they should issue a WP with an O visa.

HR at the new company.

And yeah I just asked again. They said "We've checked with Bangkok Immigration and this rule is changed you need a B visa."

So I'm thinking I'll just turn this position down. Honestly not worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Ignore what Immigration tell you and ignore what your company tells you Imm' say.

A work permit is issued by the Labour Dep't not Imm' and a Non O extension can support a WP without a problem.

hard to ignore them when they are the ones that have to arrange it all...

2 minutes ago, revgreen said:

Not really, just stand your ground when you're right. It's the same paperwork that they have to produce anyway.

'They' I take it being the company.

Edited by overherebc

5 minutes ago, revgreen said:

They said "We've checked with Bangkok Immigration and this rule is changed you need a B visa."

Immigration does not issue work permits.

The Labor Ministry issues work permits.

Will you be working for a BOI company?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, revgreen said:

HR at the new company.

And yeah I just asked again. They said "We've checked with Bangkok Immigration and this rule is changed you need a B visa."

So I'm thinking I'll just turn this position down. Honestly not worth the hassle.

Immigration always say B visa because they don't know. Tell your HR to call the labour office, not Immigration.

You already have the proper visa/extension to support a WP.

The reason I believe is that when the job finishes you get your B extension cancelled and get 7 days to leave Thailand. Makes it a pain to claim severence etc so there is a good chance people will leave and miss out on what they are due.

You also need to to start again from the beginning to get another O extension.

Edited by overherebc

HR at the new company.

They shouldn't be talking to immigration. Your permit to stay has already been issued ("marriage visa") and is unaffected by working.

HR apply for the WP from the Labour office and should be asking them if the will accept the Non O visa, which they almost certainly will.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Ignore what Immigration tell you and ignore what your company tells you Imm' say.

A work permit is issued by the Labour Dep't not Imm' and a Non O extension can support a WP without a problem.

They don't arrange the work permit.

• Immigration issue permission to stay in the country.
  • Labour offices issue permission to work.

HR at the new company.

The rule hasn't changed.

Standard HR response when they don't know and lose face.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not issue work permits.

The Labor Ministry issues work permits.

Will you be working for a BOI company?

Yes I'm mistaken. BOI is what she said and I mistakenly interpreted that as Bangkok Office of Immigration. It's actually Board of Investment, yea?

10 hours ago, revgreen said:

Yes I'm mistaken. BOI is what she said and I mistakenly interpreted that as Bangkok Office of Immigration. It's actually Board of Investment, yea?

There have been reports of the one stop service center for BOI companies and others that can use it insisting it had to be non-b visa.

But I can recall reports of them being able to change the category of a non-o to a non-b.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been reports of the one stop service center for BOI companies and others that can use it insisting it had to be non-b visa.

But I can recall reports of them being able to change the category of a non-o to a non-b.

From memory, yes, they changed mine years ago during the one visit. Not sure if they still do or not.

At the end of they job however as is usual I had to go through the new 0 based on being married process.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I've ran this question to HR so we will see.

OP, is it possible that HR thinks you are on a 90 day marriage visa (as you refer to it on the OP) and not a yearly marriage extension. local labor office may have a issue with wp for a 90 day visa etc.

36 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, is it possible that HR thinks you are on a 90 day marriage visa (as you refer to it on the OP) and not a yearly marriage extension. local labor office may have a issue with wp for a 90 day visa etc.

Possible, but just to add I've had WP's on multi entry NonO visas in the past.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:
1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Is it possible to get a work permit for having a YouTube channel? Or is it even needed if your channel is filmed from Thailand?

If you employ 4 cameramen 4 sound technicians and a secretary, probably. 

It is probably not that simple. Most likely the requirements for a journalism visa would need to be satisfied. That would be next to impossible without the involvement of a major media organisation.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is probably not that simple. Most likely the requirements for a journalism visa would need to be satisfied. That would be next to impossible without the involvement of a major media organisation.

That's really the jist of my answer. ????

Many questions like this are asked by people who have been travelling a bit and have never come across the WP situation that exists in Thailand.

Probably starts with a conversation such as

What do you do?

I make my money on the net.

You should be careful if you don't have a WP.

OH I didn't know that, how do I get one.

Not sure, you should ask on Thaivisa or xxxxx, someone will know.!!!!!!!

Then it starts, 4 employees, 2 employees, etc, which visa is a work visa?

Best answer.

Carry on, keep your mouth shut about it, ie don't even tell the expat you've met and trust in the bar who seems like a 'nice guy'.

45 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

I am talking about a simple YouTube channel

Need a better description.

You can only get a WP if you work for a Thai Company that employs you or you start a company yourself and have a Thai partner who you trust to own 51% of the company and your money.

Some have done it by using their wife to be the 51% partner and employ two or three of her friends.

You cannot just go to a Work Permit office and pay for one as no such office or service exists.

WP for a journalist requires working for a recognised media outfit who most likely will have to have a presence already in Thailand and special qualifications on your part.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Is it possible to get a work permit for having a YouTube channel? Or is it even needed if your channel is filmed from Thailand?

No.

To get a WP you need to be employed by a business formally operating in Thailand. Setting up a company is expensive and probably unviable unless your channel makes a lot of money.

Most people run their channels from home and never declare the fact.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:04 PM, overherebc said:

Occasionally, I have needed my wife to attend in person for WP and Visa extensions, its very occasional and seems to be random. Additionally, I have been asked to produce some document where my wife affirms at the (any) Amphour that we are still married for the Visa Extension.

If the Lawyer says its not possible, they are being lazy ir ill-informed.

1 hour ago, Khutan said:

Occasionally, I have needed my wife to attend in person for WP and Visa extensions, its very occasional and seems to be random. Additionally, I have been asked to produce some document where my wife affirms at the (any) Amphour that we are still married for the Visa Extension.

If the Lawyer says its not possible, they are being lazy ir ill-informed.

Lawyers generally know less about work permits than Immigration and charge you lots to tell you they don't know.