Thai man grew ganja on his US buddy's property in Chiang Mai

rooster59

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Many farangs in illegal businesses. This effects law abiding people.

Take a chill pill. Like all farangs "I hate that word" in Thailand you are probably technicolly breaking the law so therefore a criminal. Driving your own car, cutting your grass or doing many tasks you could be employing a Thai to do. 

3 hours ago, dluek said:

30 cops to bust up a small-time cannabis oil operation that was helping the sick, what a waste of taxpayers' money. :coffee1:

Well just before we left Thailand I had a visit at home from about the same number of immigration police and regular police to verify my visa details and status. Police cars and vehicles parked in my drive and on the street. Not a happy camper that day... 

After visiting an American inmate in Chiang Mai Jail many times during his 6 yr sentence...........I wont be taking any chances being near weed while its illegal.

45 inmates in cell 10 M X 10 M

Just 2 ceiling fans

Sleep head to foot on bare concrete floor

One night like that, I would be in a wheelchair.

I wanted to get him a roll up mat to sleep on........not allowed.

Thats what you will face.

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Well most lease it which amounts to the same thing as far as this is concerned.

But really this whole story is pathetic. Or rather the fuss being made over a bit of weed.

Americans can own land?...this was what i was told by an Amreican who had land, said it was a treaty(maybe not the correct term) from the war? i thought he bull<deleted>ted a lot so would be keen to know if thats true

6 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

enlighten me I always thought foreigners can't own land in Thailand

They can't. Maybe belongs to his wife, maybe he leased it and doesn't actually own it. Maybe he thought he bought it and just hasn't yet found out he was ripped off. They should find out who's been paying taxes on it.

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Well most lease it which amounts to the same thing as far as this is concerned.

But really this whole story is pathetic. Or rather the fuss being made over a bit of weed.

for you it might be just a bit of weed but it still is illegal try going to Bali now they changing the 

law now to be more in line with Sharia Law so if you not married you can't book a room

(men and Women) you can go to jail for 6 months so no more Australian yobbos anymore 

20 minutes ago, Acharn said:

They can't. Maybe belongs to his wife, maybe he leased it and doesn't actually own it. Maybe he thought he bought it and just hasn't yet found out he was ripped off. They should find out who's been paying taxes on it.

Or maybe he got thai citizenship and bought the land. 

2 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

Many farangs in illegal businesses. This effects law abiding people.

Like the law abiding Thai growing the grass and decides to throw the farrangs name into the hat for no reason . He  already admitted his guilt but felt the need to involve the farrang ? 

39 minutes ago, freestyle said:

Past year we have been flooded with the headlines  "thailand legalizing marihuana".

So why all this fuzz over a few plants.

Why don't they make up their mind.

Don't rely on headlines.  You gotta read the article. 

2 hours ago, harriott456 said:

Americans can own land?...this was what i was told by an Amreican who had land, said it was a treaty(maybe not the correct term) from the war? i thought he bull<deleted>ted a lot so would be keen to know if thats true

I think this is what you might be referring to: https://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/US-Thai Amity.php

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The bust resulted in a raid (with a warrant) conducted by Samerng police and an entourage of 30 officials to the US man's property on a hillside nearby. 

The raiding party found 29 cannabis plants and one kratom plant. 

So basically one plant per official... huge bust !

3 hours ago, Old Crowe said:

Your Thai Company can own the land or on a 30x30x30 year Leasehold if the contract is legally & correctly written.

But usually the Thai company has to be 51% Thai owned, so the majority owner(s) would be "Thai". For US citizens it's possible to own 100% as somebody posted before.

The maximum lease duration is 30 years, everything else is not guaranteed. And leasing something doesn't make you the owner.

20 hours ago, dluek said:

30 cops to bust up a small-time cannabis oil operation that was helping the sick, what a waste of taxpayers' money. :coffee1:

Seems a bit excessive, especially in the midst of legalization, but on the other hand, that could be exactly why they've made such a fuss about it.  They want to make the point that just because it's now legal to use CBD for medical reasons if you have a prescription doesn't make it okay to grow a bunch of plants.

Still, I have to agree, there are more serious crimes these guys should be focusing on.  It's unlikely they just decided that morning to raid the place with 30 cops all on board for the photo ops.

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Nobody pays tax here 

My first thought upon reading with that was "What does that have to do with anything?"  but that could be exactly what this is all about.  Right now CBD oil is being made out of ganga confiscated in raids just like this one and being sold for a profit, a good portion of said profits going into government coffers. 

This guy was running his own operation and was caught with a similar product.  The guy says he hasn't made any money on it [yet] but whether or not that's true is besides the point; he's not giving the government a slice of the pie so he won't be let off with a slap on the wrist.

As an added bonus, the 29 plants and two "boxes" of weed they found can now be added to government stores and they can make more oil (and more money) out of it.  Win, win!

On 9/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, White Christmas13 said:

enlighten me I always thought foreigners can't own land in Thailand

Americans can own 1 rai in their name, and also have a business 100% owned aswell.

At least USA looks after the interests of their fellow citizens, which is more than I can say for the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand–United_States)

Archived