Thai man grew ganja on his US buddy's property in Chiang Mai

rooster59

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, NCC1701A said:

just the beginning of many farang being arrested because they read some story about weed being legal now.

Not yet!! I have read though that there are plans to allow the growing of up to 9 plants per family. If that beats the yabba epidemic, sounds good to me. Chance for a village co operative?!?! 

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Not yet!! I have read though that there are plans to allow the growing of up to 9 plants per family. If that beats the yabba epidemic, sounds good to me. Chance for a village co operative?!?! 

it is six plants and Farang cannot.

3 hours ago, the guest said:

Americans can own 1 rai in their name, and also have a business 100% owned aswell.

At least USA looks after the interests of their fellow citizens, which is more than I can say for the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand–United_States)

I would be surprised if more than 15% of American citizens could point to Thailand

on a map.

It would be a miniscule percentage of the USA's citizens who would be remotely interested

in buying land or setting up a business in Thailand

I suspect that this treaty was signed with view to making trade easier between the 

2 nations rather than a magnanimous show of love and support for her citizens.

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

I would be surprised if more than 15% of American citizens could point to Thailand

on a map.

It would be a miniscule percentage of the USA's citizens who would be remotely interested

in buying land or setting up a business in Thailand

I suspect that this treaty was signed with view to making trade easier between the 

2 nations rather than a magnanimous show of love and support for her citizens.

Probably one of the most difficult and expensive ways for an american to start a business here.

So many believe they only have to show their passport and Thailand will hand over land papers and let them start a business for next to nothing.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:36 AM, dunroaming said:

Well most lease it which amounts to the same thing as far as this is concerned.

But really this whole story is pathetic. Or rather the fuss being made over a bit of weed.

My Thai girlfriend told me there is now or soon to be areas available for foreigners to buy land. Didn't really pay attention because I'm not interested in buying land there. 

As far as beening a big deal over a little weed, it's still illegal in Thailand. Would you say stealing a item worth a dime is any less a crime then something worth $100?

Stealing is stealing breaking the law is breaking the law. If you don't like the current law run for office and change it or move to Canada where you can grow 4 plants for personal use. I'm not attempting to start a fight, I'm just making a case for why I think the world is heading in the wrong direction. Have a awesome day and be well. 

On 9/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, pookondee said:

Oldest trick in the book.

Grow your dope on some other buggers land, so they get busted.

Anyway, if farang cannot own Thai land, why are they even involving him?

Especially when the neighbour admitted to it already.

And If the land is in the name of his wife or GF,

then the neighbour should have asked permission from her, being the real owner.

In any case, legally, shouldnt  the real Thai owner of the land take the wrap,

if the land is in their name? 

I can now see a possible Thaivisa detective scenario happening here...

The Farangs wife invites her Thai bf/hubby to stay, while the farang is away in his own country..

Thai bf grows some dope on the land....

They get busted....

NO no no..its the farangs fault.

good one!

Get real dude, didn't you watch the news? It was reported they were a gay couple.

22 hours ago, the guest said:

Americans can own 1 rai in their name, and also have a business 100% owned aswell.

At least USA looks after the interests of their fellow citizens, which is more than I can say for the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand–United_States)

That's not correct. I have an American treaty company that is 100% US shareholders.  It does not allow you to own land. Only BOI companies can be given that right under limited circumstances.

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Probably one of the most difficult and expensive ways for an american to start a business here.

So many believe they only have to show their passport and Thailand will hand over land papers and let them start a business for next to nothing.

Realitively easy for me to setup.  50k cost is very cheap considering I don't have to use nominee or Thai partner and I own 100%.

I have had it for almost 20 years.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:48 AM, rooster59 said:

The 59 year old American was asked if the plants and the dried ganja had anything to do with him.

Workpoint News did not report his answer. 

I'm Hi,  how are you ?

59 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Realitively easy for me to setup.  50k cost is very cheap considering I don't have to use nominee or Thai partner and I own 100%.

I have had it for almost 20 years.

20 years ago is not today. Things have changed a lot since you set up, not just limited to cost.

My post is aimed at the standard bar stool sitter who tells everyone he can own his own company because he has a US passport, and knows very little about what is actually involved.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:21 PM, ericthai said:

Or maybe he got thai citizenship and bought the land. 

That is possible. It hadn't occurred to me, although I have known two guys who did get Thai citizenship. It's not very common.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:15 AM, Acharn said:

That is possible. It hadn't occurred to me, although I have known two guys who did get Thai citizenship. It's not very common.

Yes, I have two friends that have Thai citizenship too, I agree not very common.  

I was surprised that they are issued a Thai birth certificate. 

Archived