Documents needed for marrying a Thai

AussieBob18

Can anyone advise what are the documents now needed to be able to marry a Thai in a local Amphur office.  It has been over 4 years since I did it, and I am asking for a friend.

The Embassy affirmation document and the need for translation is known and understood, but the guy's Embassy has told him to contact Thai Immigration and  the Amphur regarding what documents they need.

He is overseas at the moment, and as we all know, things are easily lost in translation when a Thai asks another Thai for information or advice.  Obviously he will visit the Amphur and find out what documents they require when he is here next, but if anyone knows what is required, or if there is a website that provides that information, please advise so he can prepare what is needed before arriving early next year. 

Just for info - they have been together for over 3 years - he visits Thailand 3-4 times a year (still works), and she has been to his home country several times.

Yes he should have checked that all out with her local Amphur when he asked her to marry him during his last visit - but he thought she would do all that.

It is me suggesting he double checks just in case - and that is why I am asking for him.

As we all know, different offices have different requirements, but at our local amphur  I also needed a certified translation of my passport. Because my missus had only recently finalized her divorce she also had to get a medical certificate that she was not pregnant! For some reason they wanted to know my “home” address even though I live here, and then they wanted proof of it. Luckily I had my Australian driver license in my wallet, that was good enough even though it has expired. They did not take any copies of that, so I don’t know why they bothered.

I was expecting a lot of bureaucratic BS but it was actually quite straight forward. It was the first time the present staff had done a Thai-farang marriage registration so they did spend a bit of time looking up the rules. Her divorce took more running around !

He will need an Affirmation of Marriage and copy of passport stamped by MFA having had these documents processed by his Embassy.  Just check as to whether his local amphur is going to send the documents back to MFA for verifying. This is not a hard and fast practice but will delay proceedings for up to 4 weeks. Have also sent a PM to you.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:52 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Obviously he will visit the Amphur and find out what documents they require when he is here next, but if anyone knows what is required, or if there is a website that provides that information, please advise so he can prepare what is needed before arriving early next year. 

There is no guaranteed list of documents that will automatically satisfy a District Officer. This is because each District Officer has the latitude to ask for additional documents until they are satisfied.

The minimum that will be required is an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from the gentlemen's embassy or consulate in Thailand. This document will then need to be translated into Thai and the translation will need to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

On top of this the gentlemen may also need a copy of his passport translated. This translation may or may not need to be legalised by the MFA. Ask the relevant District Office about this.

If the gentleman had been married before he may have to show final proof of divorce or the death certificate of his former partner. This document may need to be translated. The translation may or may not need to be legalised.

I would suggest he starts this process as soon as he lands in Thailand. The Freedom to Marry document is usually valid for 1 month from the date of issue.

A suggested plan might be to: 1. Book and secure an appointment at the embassy prior to landing in Bangkok (if needed). 2. Sort out all documentation in Bangkok to the satisfaction of the District Officer. 3. While translations and legalisations are being obtained, have the ceremony. 4. Go back to Bangkok, collect the translated and legalised documents and go to the District Office to get married on paper.

One important note is to check how the gentlemen's embassy or consulate arranges appointments to witness his Affirmation. Some Embassies, such as the British, require online booking to obtain an appointment. Booking slots can fill up weeks in advance, so the appointment should be made before arriving in Thailand, because nobody wants to arrive here then realise they cannot get an appointment to obtain the mandatory Affidavit of Freedom to Marry.

The gentleman does not need any specific type of visa to get married. People can, and do get married on tourist visas - however this decision is again a matter for the District Officer. Please check in advance.

One point to mention is that the gentlemen can be married in any District Office. If the first District Office is proving difficult then it is possible to try any other District Office.

40 minutes ago, blackcab said:

There is no guaranteed list of documents that will automatically satisfy a District Officer. This is because each District Officer has the latitude to ask for additional documents until they are satisfied.

The minimum that will be required is an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from the gentlemen's embassy or consulate in Thailand. This document will then need to be translated into Thai and the translation will need to be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

On top of this the gentlemen may also need a copy of his passport translated. This translation may or may not need to be legalised by the MFA. Ask the relevant District Office about this.

If the gentleman had been married before he may have to show final proof of divorce or the death certificate of his former partner. This document may need to be translated. The translation may or may not need to be legalised.

I would suggest he starts this process as soon as he lands in Thailand. The Freedom to Marry document is usually valid for 1 month from the date of issue.

A suggested plan might be to: 1. Book and secure an appointment at the embassy prior to landing in Bangkok (if needed). 2. Sort out all documentation in Bangkok to the satisfaction of the District Officer. 3. While translations and legalisations are being obtained, have the ceremony. 4. Go back to Bangkok, collect the translated and legalised documents and go to the District Office to get married on paper.

One important note is to check how the gentlemen's embassy or consulate arranges appointments to witness his Affirmation. Some Embassies, such as the British, require online booking to obtain an appointment. Booking slots can fill up weeks in advance, so the appointment should be made before arriving in Thailand, because nobody wants to arrive here then realise they cannot get an appointment to obtain the mandatory Affidavit of Freedom to Marry.

The gentleman does not need any specific type of visa to get married. People can, and do get married on tourist visas - however this decision is again a matter for the District Officer. Please check in advance.

One point to mention is that the gentlemen can be married in any District Office. If the first District Office is proving difficult then it is possible to try any other District Office.

Thanks blackcab - that is fantastic - will send it along.

Archived