Prayut orders armed forces to study possibility of voluntary military conscription

rooster59

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

conscription in Thailand never worked, all it did was take two years of most Young mens lives for nothing, It caused many Marriages to break down, and relationship break ups, Most lost good jobs to be enlisted and can never go back to them. Most never learn Nothing, It would have made more sence to Give them skills in the two years they have to do,  So that when they come out they could do some thing useful and help their local Economy.

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

No need for that. You already got a few subs and some armored vehicles from US, and top of that, there's the mandatory TM30 for foreingers to fill out. National security is just fine.

You failed to note the new “warship” recently ordered from China. 

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

conscription in Thailand never worked, all it did was take two years of most Young mens lives for nothing, It caused many Marriages to break down, and relationship break ups, Most lost good jobs to be enlisted and can never go back to them. Most never learn Nothing, It would have made more sence to Give them skills in the two years they have to do,  So that when they come out they could do some thing useful and help their local Economy.

Totally agree. Give them skills beyond shooting guns. Let them see and have a future post army. 

13 hours ago, jerojero said:

No, you learn to be a service worker for a General. Wife's nephew did exactly that for 2 years. Utterly ridiculous.

100% my wife's brother in law has 3 soldiers at their home, the are servants for the entire family and live under a hoochie down the bottom of the garden.

It's already voluntary. The women are not forced to serve and the kids from good schools and families just do the *service* in HS I believe. Chubby M6 kids get shipped off for a week and given the exercise they need and allowed to shoot a few rounds with a .22 rifle. Service rendered.

8 hours ago, Celer et Audax said:

National service ended on the 31st of December 1960 so if you joined in 1968 you were obviously a volunteer not a conscript

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If this is US it was 73 or 74. You still had to mail in registration at least until 79.

Vietnam war ended in 73. The south fell in 75. Draft ended 73.

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I think it's a good idea to make it voluntary, they have to offer something in return though, for example, I joined the British army in 1969 at age 15, they taught me basic military skills a profession and I continued my education and earned the educational certificates that I missed getting at school.

I travelled to some very interesting places and

Shot people.... the not so good side of joining the military !!

Two sides to every coin.

31 minutes ago, essox essox said:

definition of conscription is:-

compulsory enrollment of persons for military or naval service; draft.
a compulsory contribution of money to a government during a time of war.

so how can this become voluntary by Prayutt??

You are right that conscription meant compulsory enrollment. However methods may different in various countries. 

Thailand, South Korea use a draft process to select the enrollment. Singapore, Israel require all eligible citizens to be in the national service; no selection. 

FFP suggest another method of voluntary conscription which I think meant no more draft selection but base on voluntary enlistment with the incentive of a military career. I hope that FFP proposal also widen the conscription age group so more youths can decide on a military career. 

Just my my thoughts. 

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

Really?

I spent 25 years in the RAF, boy and man. I was taught to be part of a team, to be on my own and to be a leader as well.

I got further education and was taught a trade which stood me well when I retired from the RAF at 40. I had a couple more careers after taht and made 2 business for myself.

I made friends in quite a few countries and it certainly broadened and expanded my horizons and goals.

From your comments I will assume that that you have never served in the military at all.

You have missed some damn good times.

Sorry but I got a much higher education as I could ever had gotten int he military. I studied more got a far better job learned the same skills (on the job and the education) as you and never had to be in the military. I still see the military as a time waste for those who don't want to go. Its should be optional not forced.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sorry but I got a much higher education as I could ever had gotten int he military. I studied more got a far better job learned the same skills (on the job and the education) as you and never had to be in the military. I still see the military as a time waste for those who don't want to go. Its should be optional not forced.

Agree it should not be forced as a full time thing, they could adapt to fully voluntary by having compulsory basic training in the interim, that did not adversely a civilian education or career path. OTC units attached to Uni's etc

I would think more of a Military force that did not have compulsory conscriptions, if they have a core of full time highly trained professionals, it would inspire more confidence in their possible effectiveness in time of need. Skivy jobs can be done by civilian contractors. Troops that are protecting their own lifestyle of choice, I would rate higher than troops just being ordered.

Technical training within the military, can be a good thing, with an exit path to civilian posts sventually....

I did a 3 year spell in a TA unit in the 80s, all good, Learn to drive an HGV, long drives, shooting (great fun), anti-tank rockets etc Trip to Germany for one of the last big NATO cold war type exercises great to see and take part in. 

23 hours ago, davehowden said:

"voluntary military conscription" is a contradiction in terms.

Either military service is voluntary, or it's via conscription which has not voluntary element to it.

Voluntary Military Recruitment

(though this may have been a translation issue)

We in the UK scrapped National service in 1960 and as far as i know never had a problem recruiting...

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It has been voluntary in the UK since December 1960.

Good for you but I preferred my way.

17 minutes ago, Longcut said:

U.S.,  RAF? Am I missing something?

Yes, if you were to read the posts leading up to my post, (the one which you quoted) then you would see. Poster A said that he had served in a conscripted army the late 1960s. A second poster (B) observed that conscription (in the UK) ended in 1960, so that could not be so. I pointed out that in the US and Australia it lasted until the early 70s, and A could have been referring to serving in either of them. 

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Not  always a  waste. Have a nephew who opted for (because he thought it was going to be soft duty ! ) and did his  2 years in  a base Mess  hall.

Came out with  clear standards of organized work, hygiene, and enough "food" knowledge to give  him the initiative to be self employed producing school meals on contract.

Archived