getting new passport in the mail

I already sent in my application for a new USA passport by mail. 

So, when my new passport from the USA Embassy arrives in the mail, do I (or someone else) have to be present at my mailing address to sign for it ?

If no one is present at my mailing address, does the mail carrier leave a note or something to pick it up at the local post office ?   How does it work ?

Also, does the USA Embassy use EMS tracking when sending new passport ?

Yes, the U.S. Embassy uses EMS, you should have had to pay 100 THB extra for this.

For those of us who applied in person we had to pre-pay for the EMS at the mini-Thai Post kiosk within the consulate building, and we got the receipt with tracking numbers. I was able to track my passport, which made it the full 1.5 Km in two days.

EMS delivery varies a lot based on your location, neighbors, delivery person. In theory you should be the one signing for it. Maybe ask around your neighborhood re: EMS services?

I went in person 7/29, passport was delivered 8/8, so maybe add 12 - 14 days to the date you sent it, so in 12 -14 days you should be looking for it. 

I never got an email for my passport, but did get one for my passport card advising mailing. This email came ~ 5 days after the passport card was delivered.

Maybe they'll send you an email letting you know they've mailed it from Bangkok?

In my neighborhood, if delivery can't be made, or it's raining to hard for the delivery guy to go out, they hold it - and the tracking says something like "delivery not possible", and then they try to deliver it the next day. Most often there are neighbors about who sign for any delivery for me: Thai Post, Kerry, Lex Express, etc. They even pay the COD for me.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If nobody is at home Thai post will leave a notification so that you pick it up at the post office.

You will get a tracking number by email after your new passport is mailed.

thanks for telling me…and I'm somewhat relieved to hear it ....given how I no longer completely trust the poo-ying with whom I co-habit   ( a situation that should end once my passport comes! )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, the U.S. Embassy uses EMS, you should have had to pay 100 THB extra for this.

indeed, I paid it. 

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I never got an email for my passport, but did get one for my passport card advising mailing. This email came ~ 5 days after the passport card was delivered.

Oh, okay. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:04 AM, mtls2005 said:

How long did your passport card arrive after your passport ?

If there is any difference in arrival, is it typically only a few days ?    ( i'd like to abandon my current address and living partner, soon )

Edited by BananaBandit

They say expect 6 - 8 weeks for the passport card; these get processed in a different facility. 

That said...mine came in 18 days (from the day I applied at the consulate: 7/29).

Passport card came via EMS on Aug. 16, 2019, so 18 days, well ahead of the expected date.

I did receive an email from the Bangkok ACS advising of the passport card EMS shipment, email sent ~ 5 days AFTER receipt of passport card; I did not receive one for the passport EMS shipment.

I assume that you know that the passport card is in no way related to or a substitute for the passport? It's simply a 10 year government ID (RealID compliant), which costs $3/year. (Yes, it may facilitate land/sea travel to/from Canada, Mexico, Carribean, Bermuda. And it proves citizenship.)

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1