where are my abs, please?

BananaBandit

My ab definition is usually non-existent. 

But, based on the definition in other parts of my body, I feel like my abs should be more visible, all the time!

I must admit that I'm a very small man in some ways – for example, my forearms and wrists are like those of someone who never went through puberty... I wonder if my abs are simply so small that actually getting them to show is often difficult, even at a low body fat. ....I've seen guys with much thicker builds than me...some of them have pronounced abdominals and yet their general physique is almost kinda flabby.... I cannot see how these guys would have a lower body fat percentage than me... 

Is my ab definition hampered by the fact that I have a very slight build, and therefore a slight set of abs to work with ?

10 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Genetics & overall bodyfat %

Some have an 8-pack without putting effort while others cant even get a decent 6-pack after months of dieting.

Some could probably get a decent beer joke out of this one.

You may want to take Creatine and Whey Isolate Protein to build your abs. Isolate helps build muscle but is low in calories so you don't gain weight. If you want to gain weight can take regular whey or Mass Gainer that has as much as 1480 calories a serving.

Also go on YouTube andcheck out various exercise programs to build abs /six pack

I'm down at my supposed ideal weight, there is a inkling of the abs appearing, but I will need to go some 8kg below my ideal weight to get some definition. I'm also an older man and although they were prominent in my youth, it may take a good deal of coaxing before they reappear.  Still, a distinct 2 pack with the promise of 4 more in due course is not bad for an old man. 

do core workouts 3-4 times a week with fairly good results although 73 yrs of age.  these are similar but seem to me to add additional workout with each.  Looks good to me and will give them a try and am now a subscriber.  Some of the other workouts look prettty good too.  thanks!

as a rule of thumb, a normal man need to dip 20 kg below his height to sport a proper 6 pack that anyone will recognize,

( like if youre 180 cm, weight 60 kg) 15 kg if only you, under the right light conditions and some positive thinking.

veteran body builders is a special case, they may have added 20 kg of muscles that nullify the weight deficit requirement,

but that takes years to build and can only be done with weights 3-4 times a week

4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

You may want to take Creatine and Whey Isolate Protein to build your abs. Isolate helps build muscle but is low in calories so you don't gain weight. If you want to gain weight can take regular whey or Mass Gainer that has as much as 1480 calories a serving.

Also go on YouTube andcheck out various exercise programs to build abs /six pack

That guy looks like he should be wearing a bra.

It takes much work, special dieting, low carb, high protein, no alchol. It starts in your brain and works its way down to your abs. You need a lot of will power unless you are geneticly gifted and by the sound of your body tone you are not one of the chosen few. Good luck

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

is fluid-retention the most common reason why ab definition can come and go within a short period of time?

Absolutely part of the equation 

I’m definitely no expert but when I had abs  I had to watch my salt intake and make sure I was hydrated correctly. No alcohol whatsoever. 

Mad soon as I trough the balance I noticed in a matter of days 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 3:43 PM, Blue bruce said:

It takes much work, special dieting, low carb, high protein, no alchol. It starts in your brain and works its way down to your abs. You need a lot of will power unless you are geneticly gifted and by the sound of your body tone you are not one of the chosen few. Good luck

nothing special about the diet, eat less calories & expend more.......

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, bkk6060 said:

Men who think Abs are so important probably have inefficiencies in other areas.

After all, isn't it what is below those Abs that truly counts. ????

If you have good abs the part below the abs usually works well too. If you have a huge beer belly your tool might work less then good too.

I got my abs only after dieting really low and doing loads of ab exercises to build size. All my other muscles show easily but abs take more time.

Genetics plus a low bodyfat percentage. But you can't show off abs if you dont have them (need to train them correct) and if you have them you need to diet down till they are visible.

IMHO its worth it but takes a lot of effort.

Archived