Bus filled with Chinese tourists crashes in Utah; four killed

rooster59

5 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

All supposition, at best.........

The USA and especially California (where the group most likely originated on the bus) has very stringent requirements for safety of 'public transport' and all US states are covered by a federal law that commercial drivers of trucks and busses must carry an up to date (up to the hour) LOGBOOK.....

Also...No commercial driver in the US may drive more than 10 hours (behind the wheel) in any 16 hour period without getting a 8 hour undisturbed break (off duty)

Edited to add that I am a retired Greyhound Driver so I can speak with knowledge....

Then you must know of all those Chinese buses than run up and down the east coast.

Might follow all the procedures but the buses look a shambles.

9 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

All supposition, at best.........

The USA and especially California (where the group most likely originated on the bus) has very stringent requirements for safety of 'public transport' and all US states are covered by a federal law that commercial drivers of trucks and busses must carry an up to date (up to the hour) LOGBOOK.....

Also...No commercial driver in the US may drive more than 10 hours (behind the wheel) in any 16 hour period without getting a 8 hour undisturbed break (off duty)

Edited to add that I am a retired Greyhound Driver so I can speak with knowledge....

I agree with you, but I think the problem with some of these tours is that the driver is doing more than just driving.   The young man I talked to was responsible for his passengers in other ways.   He had to help them check in at motels, order food and tend to a lot of other needs.   He was the only English speaker.  

I suspect larger groups would have a tour guide in addition to the driver, but the one young guy I knew was entirely alone with his group.   So he was driver and tour guide.  

Archived