No-deal Brexit would force Japanese investors to reassess 40-year bet on UK

rooster59

15 hours ago, donnacha said:

Worth noting that the successful island nation of Japan would never consider ceding sovereignty to an undemocratic supra-national entity controlled by a major competitor.

I have news for you: the UK has also never ceded sovereignty to an undemocratic supra-national entity controlled by a major competitor.

But never mind loosing the Japanese, in 3 - 4 years the UK will have a trade deal with New Zealand!

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote "They like it here and they are happy being here," Tsuruoka said. "The only hope that they are now wishing is that they will be allowed to continue to do good business here in the UK."

Why would they NOT be allowed to carry on as before?

It is not a physical "allowed". The introduction of tariffs will not allow anything to cross the channel as before.

In the same way the reduction in the pound does not allow the same return to the Japanese shareholders as it did before the referendum. They have been complaining for the last 3 years, bit surprising they are not demanding their money back. At the end of the day there is no "good business" without profit, only a failing business.

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

These Government announcements are nothing but propaganda. 

My favourite, passed on by you, was the claim Johnson was meeting John Bolton to discuss trade, an area of US Government policy he had absolutely no authority over. 

35 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Remember how the Brexit Tories were saying that concluding a trade treaty with Japan would be a doddle and would duplicate the treaty it has with the EU?

Japan trade accord becomes post-Brexit priority for UK

Tokyo has resisted ‘copy-and-paste’ rollover, looking for better terms once Britain out of EU

https://www.ft.com/content/b6a047c6-dafc-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

To access this article legitimately just copy and paste title into google search box. You will bypass the FT's firewall.

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Have to pay the EU import taxes for that.

My posting refers to what was written by @Scott123: 

I am looking to buy a new Rav 4 next year now I will seriously think of changing my purchase to a country that shuts its mouth and keeps out of British politics.’

So that excludes USA-cars, was my reaction. Not much to do with import duties.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

These Government announcements are nothing but propaganda. 

My favourite, passed on by you, was the claim Johnson was meeting John Bolton to discuss trade, an area of US Government policy he had absolutely no authority over. 

'Horses mouth' press releases are less likely to have been unduly spun in either direction and quite often differ significantly from whatever these boards have been spoonfed via the likes of Reuters or the Guardian.

Archived