Pets urinating and defecate in common area of condominium

We have in our large condo building a regulation (voted in AGM as part of a larger set of rules) : " do not leave the pets by themselves to wander around or disturb others."

However a few co-owners have cats left out during the night and urinating and defecating in the common area. In one case they do it on the shoes which the co-owners leave outside before entering their condo unit...and it is not unusual that then other cats detects the smell and go there to...

Does any TVF member have any experience what can be done about this (except poisoning them)?

I case if the police is called they will laugh...but this is really not funny.

Thats disgusting.  Personally I would never live in a building that allowed pets at all, and even in our building where they are not allowed, a resident (or relative) regularly walked her small dog from outside around the car park doing its business.  The JP fixed that eventually.

Dont you have a JP that can grip this up? No point passing sensible rules if they are not enforced with suitable penalties. First a quiet word, and notices on the board/in lift(s), then name and shame. If that doesnt work, then many JP's have a tame policeman (brown envelope), who can knock the door, assuming you know the rom numbers of offenders. 

Good luck - and take your shoes in at night! and try strong smelling disinfectant outside your door maybe? (assuming your shoes smell no worse than cat pee that is)

Stop leaving shoes about for them to <deleted> in....absolutely do not poison them

(Thai law is very strict on "animal cruelty" less punishment if you beat the living daylights out of the owners)

Police will do nothing except laugh... about the only thing to do is to try and shame the irresponsible pet owners into doing the right thing..????

Really its the Condo management company that should be dealing with it , maybe monetary fines to owners of even confiscate the animal but that's probably illegal ????

On September 21, 2019 at 2:10 PM, fvw53 said:

what can be done about this (except poisoning them)?

The cats or the owners? Either way, poisoning them might raise some new health issues in the building.

Sounds like a lovely building, by the way.

If I left my shoes outside the door and every night someone or something urinated and defecated on them, I think I would start parking the shoes just inside the door.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:22 PM, johng said:

Stop leaving shoes about for them to <deleted> in....absolutely do not poison them

(Thai law is very strict on "animal cruelty" less punishment if you beat the living daylights out of the owners)

Police will do nothing except laugh... about the only thing to do is to try and shame the irresponsible pet owners into doing the right thing..????

Really its the Condo management company that should be dealing with it , maybe monetary fines to owners of even confiscate the animal but that's probably illegal ????

Find out who is doing it and return to sender.

Okay, this works great where I live, mix a bowl of floor cleaner mixed with chilli powder and peppers and regularly wash your floor anywhere you don't want cats and dogs to go near to.  Cats literally jump away from that area. 

(Leave a small route away from your condo door for them to get past)

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

If I left my shoes outside the door and every night someone or something urinated and defecated on them, I think I would start parking the shoes just inside the door.

That's not really fair on the cats; would you give them a key?

Offer the do a trial with the management and put mothballs behind pots, under edges of furniture ... the animals won't pee and poo there. It's a surefire way to stop them doing their business there.

Don't worry you won't smell them but the animals will because the gas they give off is heavy and will lay along the ground and these critters have very, very sensitive senses of smell.

If anyone's got this issue outside then do the same along fence-lines, on lawns, garden beds, and the little furry friends won't go near the place.

Had a similar problem with a dog always pissing at the corners in condo building, dog belonged to Thai / Indian people.  Talked to the JP, no action was taken.

Changed the floor but mainly for a different reason. Seems like that JP don't want to face these problems.

Get a snake or maybe something what is not allowed to mention here.

Those who cannot tolerate 'pets' wandering about, especially in Thailand, should go home, where I presume a hatred for life and living is a common trait, and rot.  Because clearly, you are ill constituted, to say the least, to live anywhere in Southeast Asia.

This also applies to anywhere in Southern Europe.

2 minutes ago, Dolmance said:

Those who cannot tolerate 'pets' wandering about, especially in Thailand, should go home, where I presume a hatred for life and living is a common trait, and rot.  Because clearly, you are ill constituted, to say the least, to live anywhere in Southeast Asia.

This also applies to anywhere in Southern Europe.  And as far as using 'poison,' that is beneath contempt.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, fvw53 said:

I case if the police is called they will laugh...but this is really not funny.

No, it is not funny it is hilarious.

All the problems in this world and complaints about this country and its policies, and you let some Cats ruin your life?. 

Consider yourself lucky my friend. Very very lucky....

On 9/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, MJKT2014 said:

There's a rule of now shoes outside front doors in our condo. Any that are left get trashed in the trash chute near emergency stairs well.

Care to highlight how this helps the OP ?

2 hours ago, Dolmance said:

This also applies to anywhere in Southern Europe.

Yes, now you dont mind  if my water  buffalo comes dump on your door  do you? I think hes  eaten too  much grass it may be more liquid  than solid.

Does yr condo not have CCTV ? Surely yes, so you can identify whose cats they are, and then give their owners a written warning (through the juristic person manager) Next you can propose for the next agenda to adjust the condo's rules and regulations to include sanctions for owners whose pets are violating the rule.

Section 6 of the Rules and Regs in the building where I live can be modified by the committee .This is the only section that can.

As standard the committee always seeks general meeting approval prior to any change. That way the L.O. are aware of the change(s)

Featured in this section is NO PETS-specifically mammals and reptiles. Fish in a tank and a bird in a  cage is ok

Is it possible that your R&R has such a rule?

Do you have something equivalent to the aforementioned section 6?

If so maybe you could instigate change.

To my mind pets in a  condos is a no no !

On 9/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, Oxx said:

For a start, stop leaving shoes outside one's condo.  It's an antisocial habit, even in the absence of cats.  In this case, the shoe owner got what he/she deserved.  Well done, cat.

What on earth are you going on about? anti social??? It is one of the most basic tenets of life in asia. I assume you don't live here.

Any further comments by you will be treated with the disdain they deserve.

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

Yes, now you dont mind  if my water  buffalo comes dump on your door  do you? I think hes  eaten too  much grass it may be more liquid  than solid.

I very much doubt it is a male buffalo to start with, unless you know a lot about buffalo breeding and handling.  Males can be a real hassle.

Assuming you do, how do you propose to get him into the lift, after the security guys have checked him.

Sorry Chazar...FAIL.

Archived