wine

beau thai

Risky topic, like pizza and burgers and I recall one poster claiming there is no such thing as personal taste -just a good or bad pizza. May say more about them than the pizza but that's TV for you.

So my last wine box from Rimping,Bushmans Gully Aussie white, was not to MY taste. I found it 'thin' and a bit acid.

So, confronted at Rimping just now by an array of boxes, and a price list at the side in no particular order (to make the hunt more fun and to give staff more telephone time, rather than stick labels on each box), apart from noticing that all prices had gone up and/or boxes got smaller (despite strong Baht?), I came across what the staff (3 doing nothing at the wine section) claimed was a new line and, of course, they knew nothing about it, even what country it came from-Bangkok?- not revealed on the box-to me at least as it was in Thai, and the girls couldnt decipher origin.

La Vida-Siam Winery.  I confess I chose it on price with some misgivings but figured that at 980 for 5 litres I could use it to keep the drains clear if it was not up to much.

But, a happy ending.  Just sampled this La Vida white and to my taste at least its very drinkable. Your mileage may be differnt.

So now I need to buy some drain cleaner.....

Maybe it's just bad English or maybe they add a little fruit wine to it, but it's still an interesting way of describing a wine:

LA VIDA is made from Chilean wine. Chile is known as one of the best wine-making countries in the world. Its wines are internationally famous for their unique tastes and aromas, suitable for any occasions. They can also pair well with various Thai and international dishes.

11 minutes ago, daoyai said:

If you like it, it is good.  My wine experience here has been similar to many others ... grim.  The adulterated (fruit added) "wine" I find most acceptable is Laughing Bird Red ... available at Tesco express in 1.5L bottles.

Thanks daoyai , will give Laughing bird a go . Seen it on the shelf several times and like you find most red wine here horideous . Did buy a good one t'other day for a special do , best wine I have had in Los over several years.  McGuigans

black label Red.  No getting bitten as it goes down.  499B in Big C. I would rather pay 499 than get 2 bottles of rubbish red for 250.1835673805_IMGP1675(3).thumb.JPG.2c64dbb355ccce9a0c328488909cdb4d.JPG

IMGP1534.JPG

Was recently in S.R. Cambodia,  went to a huge supermarket ands shocked by selection and price of real wines from around the world... many priced at $5. !!!  to compare to local booze prices a bottle of 7 yo Havana Club rum is 1,600 baht in Chiang Mai shops, the same in Cambodia is $12.50 (<400 baht)..  gotta wonder why?

On 9/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, daoyai said:

If you like it, it is good.  My wine experience here has been similar to many others ... grim.  The adulterated (fruit added) "wine" I find most acceptable is Laughing Bird Red ... available at Tesco express in 1.5L bottles.

Thanks very much. Wonder if they have white too?. My preference. as is 1.5l bottle rather than 5l box. I will try the red anyway.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, daoyai said:

And I think you'll find that the Siam winery wine La Vida will have fruit juice added to it as well, as most of the Siam Winery wines tend to have (think Montclair).

One of the exceptions appears to be the Montclair Langhorne Creek Shiraz, which is made from grapes/juice from that area (I'm not sure if it is fermented in Australia or here in Thailand) which was launched as an effort to be able to give Montclair a mantle of respectability after many people had criticised its "fruit wines".

At the time I thought they were pushing the proverbial uphill and it seems to be the case – – trying to launch a premium product on a brand which is considered low quality is a Herculean task and it appears it hasn't worked?

The reason I say that is because the Langhorne Creek Shiraz which was originally launched at a price of around 660 baht is now on sale at my local Big C for 454 baht, and talking to someone from their head office who oversees such things, it has been reduced in price to be able to clear the stock, mainly because it hasn't been selling.

So if you're in for a bargain, take a look at that Montclair Wine (dark red/burgundy label with silver) as it is a pretty good drinker if given time to open up, and Langhorne Creek is a well-respected wine region, south of Adelaide.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:31 AM, daoyai said:

Was recently in S.R. Cambodia,  went to a huge supermarket ands shocked by selection and price of real wines from around the world... many priced at $5. !!!  to compare to local booze prices a bottle of 7 yo Havana Club rum is 1,600 baht in Chiang Mai shops, the same in Cambodia is $12.50 (<400 baht)..  gotta wonder why?

The reason is simple there are about three layers of tax levied in Thailand

You all talking wine..... Pity, but those brands are selling "Fruit-wines". Has nothing to do with real wine. One can not label it wine in the western world. It becomes hard to find a real wine in Thailand, perhaps Jacobs Creek will last the longest.

PS.: Chili is NOT one of the leading countries exporting QUALITY wines. Chili wines are cheaper and Chili is indeed a big exporter, hence quality lags far behind quality wines from France, Spain , Australia, New Zealand, US.....

42 minutes ago, invex said:

You all talking wine..... Pity, but those brands are selling "Fruit-wines". Has nothing to do with real wine. One can not label it wine in the western world. It becomes hard to find a real wine in Thailand, perhaps Jacobs Creek will last the longest.

PS.: Chili is NOT one of the leading countries exporting QUALITY wines. Chili wines are cheaper and Chili is indeed a big exporter, hence quality lags far behind quality wines from France, Spain , Australia, New Zealand, US.....

and Germany

Archived