is hearing the hardest thing?

BananaBandit

Fcbkk Are you sure that you need subtitles? What about that site with cartoons? Oxx says that there are transcripts of the commentary available.  In my experience subtitles are useless in real time because I can’t read quickly enough so am forever replaying.  

I don't care what anyone says,

"Hearing" is definately a harder a skill than memorizing and speaking, simply because you cant really study for it.

In our own language, our hearing is not honed, since we don't have to listen intently to every word said to get the jist

of the conversation.

In Thai, you need to know the different tones of many similar words, (sometimes only helped by knowing the context of the sentance/subject).

Also confusing when they are shortening words, mixing Isaan words in, or using slang.

Then even English loanwords can throw you off (with the Thai pronunciation) if you are expecting a Thai word..

(like "series"= SeeREE)

The only thing for it is time and experience and talking/listening to Thais talking, amongst themselves,

on TV etc

There is no substitute, although there are many Thai people doing great lessons on Youtube.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, tgeezer said:

Fcbkk Are you sure that you need subtitles? What about that site with cartoons? Oxx says that there are transcripts of the commentary available.  In my experience subtitles are useless in real time because I can’t read quickly enough so am forever replaying.  

well i find subtitles very helpful. If i do not understand something i can pause and read to comprehend the word or phrase or overall context and then listen again. And again until i understand the tone accent slang whatever is used. Helps a lot. So it is not real time i am using the subtitles for ....

sorry edit: added comment about what cartoons are you referring to? That could help to - visual clues with a transcript might be a good option to try. Would you have a link?

10 hours ago, junenorm said:

Listening comprehension is my weakness. I always need to wear earphones whenever I try to expose myself to Thai media because I haven't instill in my subconscious to process reading subtitle and listening to the audio. 

yeah absolutely, i blame my hearing, but earphones make a huge difference for the hearing as do subtitles for the understanding.

4 hours ago, pookondee said:

I don't care what anyone says,

"Hearing" is definately a harder a skill than memorizing and speaking, simply because you cant really study for it.

In our own language, our hearing is not honed, since we don't have to listen intently to every word said to get the jist

of the conversation.

In Thai, you need to know the different tones of many similar words, (sometimes only helped by knowing the context of the sentance/subject).

Also confusing when they are shortening words, mixing Isaan words in, or using slang.

Then even English loanwords can throw you off (with the Thai pronunciation) if you are expecting a Thai word..

(like "series"= SeeREE)

The only thing for it is time and experience and talking/listening to Thais talking, amongst themselves,

on TV etc

There is no substitute, although there are many Thai people doing great lessons on Youtube.

yep all points ring a bell for me too. Would you have a link or a name to good lessens that you would recommend on Youtube?

4 hours ago, fcbkk said:

yep all points ring a bell for me too. Would you have a link or a name to good lessens that you would recommend on Youtube?

you can start to search for

"ThaiwithMod" 

She is quite good and covers a few issues that im sure youll get something out of.

"SpeakThaieasy" is another girl who makes amusing vids.

but "Thaipod101" probably has the biggest collection of no nonsense lessons

8 hours ago, fcbkk said:

sorry edit: added comment about what cartoons are you referring to? That could help to - visual clues with a transcript might be a good option to try. Would you have a link?

aakanee.com was the Google search advice given in a post here. I am not computer literate but through that search and via women learn thai, eventually  arrived at a You Tube site belonging to a chap named Pablo Raman.  

On 10/30/2019 at 1:20 AM, pookondee said:

you can start to search for

"ThaiwithMod" 

She is quite good and covers a few issues that im sure youll get something out of.

"SpeakThaieasy" is another girl who makes amusing vids.

but "Thaipod101" probably has the biggest collection of no nonsense lessons

Thanks pookondee! Had come across the first one that you mention, but need to check the others also. Many thanks for info and tips much appreciated. cheers

On 10/30/2019 at 5:17 AM, tgeezer said:

aakanee.com was the Google search advice given in a post here. I am not computer literate but through that search and via women learn thai, eventually  arrived at a You Tube site belonging to a chap named Pablo Raman.

Thanks tgeezer! aakanee.com i must have overlooked that many thanks looks like a great resource. for the other person you mentioned i am unable to find anything on youtube?!

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I know but most of my classmates just ignore the tones.

Most people ignore the tones. If you look at the site I recommended recently (โอป้า) and my topic on tones you will see how tones should be learned and how difficult it can be.  Tones are leaned as a component of words just as are the letters and vowels of Thai are learned.  It isn’t easy to teach because people want ‘easy to learn’,  they wanted to have meaningful conversations in Thai yesterday, there is no time to learn how to recognise something which is clearly shown by (M) (L) (F) (H) (R) written after a word. 

Rant over! 

Archived