I HATE HOT evening shopping. Stop turning off the AC at malls!

4675636b596f75

Do you agree with turning off the AC an hour or two prior to the closing of the mall?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The son and I went to Central Chaeng Watthana last week during the great flood of Bangkok.  The mall closed at 9:30PM but the air conditioning was turned off around 8PM.  It's damn uncomfortable.  Not only do the turn off the AC, but there is no air movement in the mall. 

I wanted to shop, but had no patience for anything as I was hot and uncomfortable.  I was told by the Thais in Central Department Store, that this is good because it helps the environment.  

Nonsense.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The electricity bill for a shopping mall is up in the hundred thousands of baht per month.

There are 10 customers in the mall after 8.00pm so obviously it doesn't make sense to leave them running .

But they should leave them on if there are 100+ customers still shopping and if it's hot.  

imo.

21 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

It doesn't make sense?  Close the mall early.  You'll save even more.  Otherwise, give me the correct shopping experience.  Because I shop in the evening doesn't mean I have to emerge from the mall hot and sweaty.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Hike up your diaper and take the heat and humidity like a man. Or go to a different mall.

2 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

The mall closed at 9:30PM but the air conditioning was turned off around 8PM. 

7/11 are so so so cool at night if I require anything, but I mainly do my shopping 1st cab off the rank at 8am when Lotus opens, early riser, early sleeper.

2 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

People still *shop* at malls? I never see anyone do anything but take pictures of the tags to search the barcode on Lazada.

It's tough to do banking on Lazada.  I find the 8PM closing for banks to be very convenient.

4 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

It's tough to do banking on Lazada.  I find the 8PM closing for banks to be very convenient.

Fair point. I wonder how the mall stores, especially Robinson's, stay open. Any ideas? They're well-staffed and empty. Is the government subsidizing them to make Thailand's smaller cities seem modern? Without Central Plaza, Udon Thani wouldn't even have a downtown.

14 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I don't think I have ever had Terminal 21 in Bangkok turn off the AC, not even at 9:59PM

If that's true, I will file a complaint with Terminal's general management asking them to stop such irresponsible behaviour as soon as possible.

18 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

The son and I went to Central Chaeng Watthana last week during the great flood of Bangkok. 

What flood? Were you here 8 years ago, now that was a flood... Ribs and a barbecue?  Perhaps go in the morning?  

"The son and I went to Central Chaeng Watthana last week during the great flood of Bangkok.  The mall closed at 9:30PM but the air conditioning was turned off around 8PM.  It's damn uncomfortable.  Not only do the turn off the AC, but there is no air movement in the mall. 

I wanted to shop, but had no patience for anything as I was hot and uncomfortable.  I was told by the Thais in Central Department Store, that this is good because it helps the environment."lking like this

According to an earlier post...are you not risking being deported for talking like this...(the bad review one,... personally I think the silly season has started early this year judging by some of the posts)?

Nonsense.

Air con at malls and cinemas here are insanely cold: "What's the point of having air conditioning if it only makes you comfortable?" seems the attitude. If I go to a film I bring some sort of jacket, blanket... Coming in off of street into mall I wonder if icicles are forming from my sweat freezing. I have to get out of those places after 20 min max.

A study was done on the energy savings that could be had here if temp was set at comfort level, some years back (sorry I lost link when computer died). Enough to power a mid sized city.

13 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Air con at malls and cinemas here are insanely cold: "What's the point of having air conditioning if it only makes you comfortable?" seems the attitude. If I go to a film I bring some sort of jacket, blanket... Coming in off of street into mall I wonder if icicles are forming from my sweat freezing. I have to get out of those places after 20 min max.

A study was done on the energy savings that could be had here if temp was set at comfort level, some years back (sorry I lost link when computer died). Enough to power a mid sized city.

i agree

it seems thais put the volume on maximum (Sound, aircon...)

just because they can?

or for show others that they have it?

i don't get it...

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

The electricity bill for a shopping mall is up in the hundred thousands of baht per month.

There are 10 customers in the mall after 8.00pm so obviously it doesn't make sense to leave them running .

But they should leave them on if there are 100+ customers still shopping and if it's hot.  

imo.

Don't forget that the whole idea running a mall is happy customers. No costumers spending money, no mall. 

This might be uncomfortable but can be avoided by the shopper; latter getting his shopping done before 8pm.

What worries me much more is the Big Cs, the Tesco Lotus', the Makro's etc. with all their fresh produce - first and foremost fish and meat. Foodland is open 24/7 hence no issue but I refuse to believe that all this fresh meat is being wheeled back into a cool room. I come to that conclusion by looking at the dirty trays into which they pour chicken, pork etc.; to make latter worse they usually pour the new stuff on top of the older stuff - go figure! 

11 hours ago, Camillof said:

If that's true, I will file a complaint with Terminal's general management asking them to stop such irresponsible behaviour as soon as possible.

I do hope I see you riding a red bus on a sweltering day.  I will wave to you from my left hand drive restored 1975 Cadillac Seville.  Nothing makes the air colder than a good Detroit engineering and V8.

Archived