High Speed Trains: Top drivers like "airline pilots" to be paid 100K up

rooster59

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

True - my salary is paid direct into my bank account. And it is very substantially more the 100k baht a month.

Rarely need to carry cash except for those wonderful 2 or 3 days a month in Bangkok. Hopefully the bar girls will get personal Visa card machines soon so I can just swipe and go. I tried swiping the card down a bum crack once with very disappointing results.

It certainly does sound like a bum crack. Maybe you should have tried round at the front?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Guaranteed - in every single thread about high speed trains someone brings up the "Thais at crossings" thing.  High speed rail has no level crossings anywhere in the world.  It is either elevated or ground level and completely fenced off - no crossings.  It also prevents livestock wandering on to the track.

Do people really not understand this?  

Let me know which part of this movie you don't understand..

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

They don't get that much in China. Its nothing like flying a plane. It on 2 rails with ATPs (Automatic train protection) like an auto pilot

I don't care how much automation they have, a human is still necessary.  Nothing synthesized can compare with the screaming of a human operator when he sees a nearly immovable object on the tracks coming up when they are doing 200 KPH.  Better yet, no tracks or a missing bridge. 

12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Very much doubt there will be any traffic crossings on the high speed route. I hope not anyway.

Not as part of the construction at least.

I remember when the motorway Bkk/PAT was first built locals started fitting wooden steps over the barriers either side etc to help them get across it.

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

All done and dusted. Soil breaking ceremony and media extravaganza performances done, ticket prices have been set, train drivers wages locked in, Bang Sue railway station almost completed.

Nothing much left to do except sign the contracts, borrow the money and build the rail line and the train.

Idiots!

ground breaking ceremony.jpg

I wonder IF they've all received and banked their 'commissions' 

11 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I wonder IF they've all received and banked their 'commissions' 

Not yet, they have only received a down payment.

Full payment of the "commissions' cannot not be made until all the contracts and funding loans have been signed off. Thai business ethics must to be observed to protect the good name of those involved.

15 hours ago, PJPom said:

A train driver of a high speed train has hundreds of lives in his hands and deserves a decent pay. My biggest worry when these trains finally arrive is the quality of the track and the habit of pickup drivers trying to beat the train at crossings, 200 plus kph will make an awful mess.

and BRAKE failures?

15 hours ago, PJPom said:

A train driver of a high speed train has hundreds of lives in his hands and deserves a decent pay. My biggest worry when these trains finally arrive is the quality of the track and the habit of pickup drivers trying to beat the train at crossings, 200 plus kph will make an awful mess.

Agreed all crossings need to be secure and breach resistant and closely monitored at all times

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I recall my first encounter with one of these trains was being on a station platform in Holland. I was puzzled why the yellow no go zone was like nearly 20 foot back from the platform edge. Then the French TGV came through at full speed. The vacuum it created nearly sucked me off the platform. I can think of better ways of being sucked off.

Imagine what's going to happen when the Thais are let loose with this thing.

You probably smoked some weird stuff then because they don't go that fast in the Netherlands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_the_Netherlands

Katoht na kap, is this the highspeed train to Chiang Mai?
Will it be safe? Will the driver behave?
I heard it was built entirely in China
and that the tracks are quite small
these are my concerns over all

I bought my ticket from a lottery vendor
who got it cheap from a money lender
now I board the choo choo, feeling really fou fou
heading for first class with my durian

(inspired by Chattanooga Choo Choo)

18 hours ago, PJPom said:

High speed trains will run on new tracks (standard gauge) and built mostly on elevated tracks.

Unless there are flying pickups they shouldn't be a problem.

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It has been pointed out that in developed countries train drivers are re-tested for their abilities every five to ten years and Thailand should bear this in mind

As an ex High Speed train driver running from Kent to St Pancras, we were tested every year!! A lot can change in 5 to 10 years. I do not know of anywhere that would do this.

Archived