Chiang Mai curfew changed?

No1

There have always been late night bars that keep going behind partially closed shutters, along with the clubs such as Las Vegas paying hefty bribes to the police. Not cheap but a lot of fun if you are in the mood. I think they go until 3am, possibly later ... for some reason, I can't remember ????

Would be good to see a general lifting of the curfew. It was relaxed years ago in other cities but Chiang Mai, as a red shirt bastion and home of the Shinawatras, was singled out for tougher treatment. Having most places close at midnight definitely sucks the energy out of the city as a tourist destination for westerners - by the time they have finished dinner and decided they are in the mood to go out, a lot of new visitors are disappointed to see everything just die.

Not sure about the Chinese, I have the impression they don't party much. Perhaps that is part of the plan, eliminate the messy legacy alcohol+sex tourism from the west to clear the way for recasting Chiang Mai, the major city closest to China, as a cultural destination for the massive Chinese market.

Thanks, @donnacha. Yeah, there were always places like Las Vegas, Spicy, Black Door and some smaller venues. But a Thai friend of mine told me that some law or regulation has changed and that now they could keep bars and restaurants open until 2 or even 4 a.m. It would be awesome and I wish the good old times where you could stay in a nice place until the early morning would come back.

Actually, some Chinese like to party. Just in other places than us. I frequently see a couple of tables occupied by Chinese at the Beer Lab in Nimman and they definitely drink and eat quite a bit.

12 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do you know the meaning of the word curfew? Or are you enquiring about bar trading hours?

No, it has been commonly referred to as a curfew since it was introduced after the coup. The English language is fluid. In the context of this subject, in this city, that word is absolutely correct.

11 minutes ago, No1 said:

Yeah, there were always places like Las Vegas, Spicy, Black Door and some smaller venues.

Yeah, I've had some great nights in Black Door. I think, earlier this year, Spicy p*ssed off someone in authority and was forced to start closing earlier, I think around 1 AM, useless. The Living Room was reduced from being a lively club to being a small bar when the Thai wife of the English owner ran off with a Thai bloke to open Las Vegas, presumably taking her police contacts with her.

11 minutes ago, No1 said:

Actually, some Chinese like to party. Just in other places than us. I frequently see a couple of tables occupied by Chinese at the Beer Lab in Nimman and they definitely drink and eat quite a bit.

The Asian tradition of going out in groups, sitting at a table, and not mixing with other patrons is quite frustrating. Obviously, I'm biased, but I reckon the western model of meeting and having a laugh with loads of people is more fun.

9 hours ago, No1 said:

Hello @emptypockets, I am inquiring about bar closing hours. It seems I have used the term "curfew" wrong. My apologies for the confusion.

Nothing has changed in CM and your friend (mentioning extending bar trading hours to 2AM or later) is referring to a couple of articles in the paper where Thai authorities discussed the concept; however, unless I read those articles wrong, they were talking about only extending the hours in Pattaya and/or Bangkok.

10 hours ago, donnacha said:

No, it has been commonly referred to as a curfew since it was introduced after the coup. The English language is fluid. In the context of this subject, in this city, that word is absolutely correct.

Thanks for clarifying, @donnacha

11 hours ago, donnacha said:

The Asian tradition of going out in groups, sitting at a table, and not mixing with other patrons is quite frustrating. Obviously, I'm biased, but I reckon the western model of meeting and having a laugh with loads of people is more fun.

Well observed. Maybe they are just too shy?

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

Nothing has changed in CM and your friend (mentioning extending bar trading hours to 2AM or later) is referring to a couple of articles in the paper where Thai authorities discussed the concept; however, unless I read those articles wrong, they were talking about only extending the hours in Pattaya and/or Bangkok.

Thanks for clarifying, CMBob. This is what I suspected. 

On 9/22/2019 at 3:18 AM, wgdanson said:

The original came from the French  cuvrir feu which means 'cover fire'. 

Very useful...Not.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, holy cow cm said:

Seems that it depends on the place. If they have something good going on with customers then they stay open as things are more relaxed at this time. Officially no, but in reality yes. 

There has been no relaxation of the bar hours in CM. It is still a city under armed occupation and the police and army bully and intimidate the Thai in that city and force them to close bars  restaurants and clubs at around 11pm to midnight. It is effectively a curfew in many respects. CM is a joyless dump

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Very useful...Not.

There has been no relaxation of the bar hours in CM. It is still a city under armed occupation and the police and army bully and intimidate the Thai in that city and force them to close bars  restaurants and clubs at around 11pm to midnight. It is effectively a curfew in many respects. CM is a joyless dump

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Then explain why I got home after 4am a few nights in the last month. And not at the normal places. But yes, the Military Gov likes to dump on ole CM because it is Red by Nature. Same as they put their own Governor in, same as what the Chinese will do for the next Dalai lama.

I would not go so far to say CM is a joyless dump. That is going too far.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

The earlier the bar closes, the less pickled your liver will become.

Later, more pickled.

Quite simple.

Its nice to have a choice.  Anyway I like to start drinking late not early and I dont need sanctimony   sermons or health tips from you regarding my recreational activities.

In the early 2000's it was Thaksin Shinawatra's government itself that had a clampdown on Thailands famous nightlife and changed the law so that bars closed at 12 midnight. They also started the no alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm and after midnight which was inspired by the old uk pub opening hours. After almost 20 years its the current military government that is changing the closing time to 4 am in some places to help boost tourism.

11 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

They also started the no alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm and after midnight

I think you'll find it was your military chums that brought in the drinking hour laws way before the Thaksin era..yes he revived them..he did though bring in ( for some forgotten reason, save electricity ??? )

the stupid closing of petrol stations and super markets over night.

7 minutes ago, johng said:

I think you'll find it was your military chums that brought in the drinking hour laws way before the Thaksin era..yes he revived them..he did though bring in ( for some forgotten reason, save electricity ??? )

the stupid closing of petrol stations and super markets over night.

Military chums? I don't know any military in Thailand. Like you say though it was the the Thaksin government that ordered bars to close at 12 midnight and and restrict alcohol sales in shops. What you are saying is that it was always the law that bars closed at midnight and beer could not be sold after 2pm? Legislated by some military government in the 50's, 60's or whenever? Thaksin just decided to enforce those laws?

1 minute ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Military chums?

Sorry thought you where cheering the military governments as yet to be implemented closing times.

1 minute ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Legislated by some military government in the 50's, 60's or whenever? Thaksin just decided to enforce those laws?

Yes

14 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Very useful...Not.

Not very useful as well but it should be couvrir feu otherwise our French fries...euh French friends get into problems.

Archived