Is it illegal to leave a bad review?

cyril sneer

Don't the sellers have the power to remove bad comments on Lazada or at least appeal for them to be removed? I bought some usb flash drives from there that turned out to be fake (thoroughly tested). I left a negative review posting the results of my test and a brief explanation of how they don't have the storage they claim. My review was removed within hours and as far as I know they're still selling the fake flash drives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

'By the pen' Please explain. Tatooed Russians in LK Metro? Service staff staring at Thai girl because they though she was a bar girl? What a load of fantastical nonesense

one of those 'you had to be there' scenarios... 

sort of started with the stares and then sneers,  and I felt I was better off, that I didn't know what words were being flung... but mrs was pretty pee'd off, what the old bat was saying 'at' her 

and yes the LK eatery up on the corner of buckhao was open to anything/anybody who cared to slither in off the street to eat there. The russian behemoths were not a pretty sight... could have benefitted from some deoderant too. 

At the time I put the negative experience down to that it was the russian party must have triggered the genesis of the staffer's  attitudes broiling over? 

anyways... it happened   

I used the 'by the pen' to denote the pen is sharper than the sword... that any verbal complaint falls on deaf ears 

Edited by tifino

11 hours ago, SteveK said:

Use a fake name, post through a VPN to hide your IP address, and don't give an specifics that would link the review to you. Then give them both barrels. But seriously, in Thailand even if what you say is 100% true it can still be defamation, especially when a farang is saying it. But if they can't trace you I'm not sure what can happen to you, almost certainly nothing.

VPN + Tor browser still more secure! 

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

So you have successfully posted critical reviews on lazada website? I'm all ears as to how you managed it as I wasn't able to but they readily accept any that are positive or neutral.

Yes, go to REVIEWS and say what you think.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I have returned several items from Lazada and never ever had a problem. Free returns through 7/11 and Thai Post, and refunded quite fast. But when people starts with really bad reviews and then starts the refund process, I do understand if they get a bit angry. 

I find it really stupid/annonying that as soon as delivery is taken, you get an email asking you to review something, before you even unpack the item.Yes, it's probably best to try something, return it and then give your opinion.

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

Anyone who has ever tried to criticize products/bad service from Lasada will realize that it simply isn't possible.

I bought on Lazada some paper strips to check the ketones in the body, peeing on it makes the colour to change. But it was not working at all, nothing!

The colour did not change a little bit, I make a revue with polite words to say now I will have to throw the box, so I had lost one thousand Bahts, no other comments of any sort. It was not subjective, like I don't like this product. It has nothing to do with anysort of "defamation" , but my review was suppressed. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I find it really stupid/annonying that as soon as delivery is taken, you get an email asking you to review something, before you even unpack the item.Yes, it's probably best to try something, return it and then give your opinion.

The best quality items (even cheap stuff) in my opinion you'll find in LazMall. They always guarantee the items are 100% authentic, fast deliveries and up to 15 days easy return.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I bought on Lazada some paper strips to check the ketones in the body, peeing on it makes the colour to change. But it was not working at all, nothing!

The colour did not change a little bit, I make a revue with polite words to say now I will have to throw the box, so I had lost one thousand Bahts, no other comments of any sort. It was not subjective, like I don't like this product. It has nothing to do with anysort of "defamation" , but my review was suppressed. 

I have given negative reviews without being nasty and they have been accepted,and no problem with the refunds. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

Last place I visited was in Kanchanaburi. I gave a very truthful and critical report on the place on the Agoda website, listing both the good and bad points. The bad way outnumbered the good I have to say. The people who made previous reports must've been weary of being sued because they were all positive, which is why I chose to stay there. I ended up leaving a day early it was so bad. I think it's only fair to the people who follow you to be truthful in your reports.

And i bet i can guess where you stayed. I was already staying at another guest house but i went to check it out because of a website had mentioned their terrible sour behavior. Although i never stay at any guesthouse because of the reviews good or bad. I had to experience it for myself. I spoke Thai with the staff hoping that might give me a edge over your typical foreigner. If anything it only made matters worse. When i visit any city i often check out as many guesthouses and hotels as possible. I have a huge collection of business cards. In this case on the back of the card i wrote RUDE!!!!! NEVER STAY HERE! It was a over rated over priced in my opinion dump where oddly many foreigners stay because like most foreigners it seems feel safety in numbers. The rudeness by more than one of the staff made sure i would rather spend the night sleeping at the train station than ever giving them 1 baht of my money.

3 hours ago, tgw said:

Any statements such as "they are liars", "I advise everyone not to do business with them", etc. are defamation.

In Thailand you can post the absolute truth which is completely accurate and totally verifiable.

If you cause the person or company you posted about a loss, then you have committed defamation. The loss could be a loss of face or a loss of business.

Ultimately it would be up to a judge to determine whether a loss occured, and to award compensation and if appropriate a criminal penalty.

Quite understandably, most people do not want to get to the stage of risking imprisonment so they are cautious about their comments. Even more so when the person you comment about is wealthy and can easily afford to take you all the way to the Supreme Court to get a final verdict.

Even if you were to win you would end up paying substantial legal fees over the course of a decade until final judgement was received.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jesimps said:

Last place I visited was in Kanchanaburi. I gave a very truthful and critical report on the place on the Agoda website, listing both the good and bad points. The bad way outnumbered the good I have to say. The people who made previous reports must've been weary of being sued because they were all positive, which is why I chose to stay there. I ended up leaving a day early it was so bad. I think it's only fair to the people who follow you to be truthful in your reports.

Let me guess...the noise of the partyrafts drove you crazy?? 

We also will never go back to kanchanaburi...better pay more and fly to another country.

10 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And i bet i can guess where you stayed. I was already staying at another guest house but i went to check it out because of a website had mentioned their terrible sour behavior. Although i never stay at any guesthouse because of the reviews good or bad. I had to experience it for myself. I spoke Thai with the staff hoping that might give me a edge over your typical foreigner. If anything it only made matters worse. When i visit any city i often check out as many guesthouses and hotels as possible. I have a huge collection of business cards. In this case on the back of the card i wrote RUDE!!!!! NEVER STAY HERE! It was a over rated over priced in my opinion dump where oddly many foreigners stay because like most foreigners it seems feel safety in numbers. The rudeness by more than one of the staff made sure i would rather spend the night sleeping at the train station than ever giving them 1 baht of my money.

Sounds like your holidays are ridiculously boring. You check out as many hostels and guest houses as possible??  Strange. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

My wife has a guesthouse. Someone accused her unfairly of dishonesty in a booking.com review. I tried to get booking.com to remove it including mentioning the Thai laws with no result.

Booking.com allows the hotel to respond to guest's reviews. Your wife may want to use this option to set the record straight regarding the guest's dishonest review.

Edited by Nemises

13 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

'By the pen' Please explain. Tatooed Russians in LK Metro? Service staff staring at Thai girl because they though she was a bar girl? What a load of fantastical nonesense

Even more fantastical is a roomful of Russians with their bargirls. I'm not saying that it never happens but I've yet to see a Russian with a bar girl in Pattaya, not their thing.

Also, I can remember going to breakfast with a bar girl in a very smart hotel in Pattaya. She insisted in wearing my shirt and nothing else. No bra, no knickers, nothing and she was very well endowed. The staff treated her with nothing but politeness and curtesy. Certainly no black looks, although the receptionists did have a bit of a giggle with me after she'd left. Apparently it was the talk of the hotel.

Use a fake name, post through a VPN to hide your IP address, and don't give an specifics that would link the review to you. Then give them both barrels. But seriously, in Thailand even if what you say is 100% true it can still be defamation, especially when a farang is saying it. But if they can't trace you I'm not sure what can happen to you, almost certainly nothing.

A genuin complaint is a complaint - go to the community tap of the Power Buy Facebook page for example and tell me if you find any positive comments at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A condo I lived in recently refused to give back my deposit, reason being that he didn't have the money to pay me back

I wanted to write a bad review on google but my partner said I can't. Will I end up in the monkey house or face deportation for doing so? 

Contact the office for consumer protection - they will help - the police are useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Let me guess...the noise of the partyrafts drove you crazy?? 

We also will never go back to kanchanaburi...better pay more and fly to another country.

Kanchanaburi City is way over rated and has only gotten worse over the years. Basically attracts Khao San Road types and sex pats. Expense over rated Thai food. No real public transportation , bars , massage shops and bars that pester you as you walk down the street. Double pricing on the trains. Thais pay 14 baht foreigners 100 baht for every stop. Basically just another over rated expensive tourist slum. The only reason i returned after fourteen years was to spend a night before i caught the train to a smaller town to visit a friend.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Even more fantastical is a roomful of Russians with their bargirls. I'm not saying that it never happens but I've yet to see a Russian with a bar girl in Pattaya, not their thing.

Also, I can remember going to breakfast with a bar girl in a very smart hotel in Pattaya. She insisted in wearing my shirt and nothing else. No bra, no knickers, nothing and she was very well endowed. The staff treated her with nothing but politeness and curtesy. Certainly no black looks, although the receptionists did have a bit of a giggle with me after she'd left. Apparently it was the talk of the hotel.

And likely had some things to say about the bar girl and yourself. Not a Thai woman i would want to be seen with in public. If you could understand Thai you would have not have been happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Sounds like your holidays are ridiculously boring. You check out as many hostels and guest houses as possible??  Strange. 

I do this to find the nicest hotels with the best rates. I than have a business card for every town in ever region for the best places. Maybe you should try it.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, tifino said:

one of those 'you had to be there' scenarios... 

sort of started with the stares and then sneers,  and I felt I was better off, that I didn't know what words were being flung... but mrs was pretty pee'd off, what the old bat was saying 'at' her 

and yes the LK eatery up on the corner of buckhao was open to anything/anybody who cared to slither in off the street to eat there. The russian behemoths were not a pretty sight... could have benefitted from some deoderant too. 

At the time I put the negative experience down to that it was the russian party must have triggered the genesis of the staffer's  attitudes broiling over? 

anyways... it happened   

I used the 'by the pen' to denote the pen is sharper than the sword... that any verbal complaint falls on deaf ears 

One reason i avoid areas that attract that. Don,t expect the Thais in general to be happy with foreigners that have to experience those types. I see foreigners like that i start running in the other direction as they tend to leave a path of destruction where ever they go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I do speak Thai. The girl wasn't Thai, Cambodian/Chinese.

Just saying if you speak ,understand Thai and understand their attitudes with who you have company with and how they dress you should have known better to not have her in such a place. Ever listen to Thais outside the tourist slums when they see a foreigner with an obvious bar girl in tow?

14 hours ago, Donaldo said:

If you really have to ask this question, do you think that Thailand is the right place for you ?I know it's not for me. The lese majeste and lese Prayut???? laws are already enough to make me stay far, far away, but the always present xenophobic attitudes and regulations do the rest. Double pricing, TM 30, 90 day reporting etc. I have travelled a lot and lived in many different countries, but Thailand is a one off, and not for the right reasons.

All Thais are xenophobic ? Have you been to America lately?

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just saying if you speak ,understand Thai and understand their attitudes with who you have company with and how they dress you should have known better to not have her in such a place. Ever listen to Thais outside the tourist slums when they see a foreigner with an obvious bar girl in tow?

As I explained, it wasn't a problem. I was a regular at the hotel and the staff knew me and what I was like. They had a laugh with me about it. I should have known better? I had more fun that night than you've ever had in your life. I couldn't give a monkeys what people think, they were very polite to the girl, which was the only thing that might have bothered me...or her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

As I explained, it wasn't a problem. I was a regular at the hotel and the staff knew me and what I was like. They had a laugh with me about it. I should have known better? I had more fun that night than you've ever had in your life. I couldn't give a monkeys what people think, they were very polite to the girl, which was the only thing that might have bothered me...or her.

sounds like a great topic for another thread

18 hours ago, Greyhat said:

Don't the sellers have the power to remove bad comments on Lazada or at least appeal for them to be removed? I bought some usb flash drives from there that turned out to be fake (thoroughly tested). I left a negative review posting the results of my test and a brief explanation of how they don't have the storage they claim. My review was removed within hours and as far as I know they're still selling the fake flash drives.

I made the same experience. Seller tried to send me a simple envelope instead of a box with the ordered product and this long after the expected delivery date. Of course I refused to accept it. My review and rating never appeared at Lazada. This is a completely different story for instance at eBay.