Is it illegal to leave a bad review?

cyril sneer

20 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I don't believe that Lazada would remove a negative review unless it was very aggressive or in a foul language. 

My review did NOT use foul language and was not "aggressive" (whatever that's supposed to mean).

I bought a coffee grinder that had settings for multiple grind levels (from course, to use in a French press, medium for drip/filter coffee makers, and fine for Turkish coffee and espresso machines). I bought it because I have a small espresso machine and wanted (nee needed) to have fine ground coffee, but wanted the option for course grounds for the occasional use of my French press. The finest setting on this grinder was barely adequate for a drip/filter machine. My review was pretty much as I've stated above and I believe I gave it a two-star (out of five) rating because of those shortcomings. (Note that it would have been fine as a general grinder, but it was/is supposed to be a coffee-specific, burr-grinder with multiple grind settings as I've described above, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations, hence I did not give a negative review based on something the item was not supposed to do or advertise as being able to do.)

• Like 1

There should be a bad review forum network. If you "need" a bad review in the country you are staying at, another person across the end of the world does it for you. And when they need one, you do the same for them, vice versa.

Often, bad reviews can get return with threats of defamation and etc. As long as the review is "clean" and honest, without opinions, nothing to be afraid of. "The room was disgusting" vs "There was a lot of dust on the floor, and hair on the bed." "The owner was an ***hole" vs "The owner did not show respect to guests and the tone was not welcoming." Just toning down, can get the same points across but protect you in any case.

1 hour ago, Hank Gunn said:

My review did NOT use foul language and was not "aggressive" (whatever that's supposed to mean).

I bought a coffee grinder that had settings for multiple grind levels (from course, to use in a French press, medium for drip/filter coffee makers, and fine for Turkish coffee and espresso machines). I bought it because I have a small espresso machine and wanted (nee needed) to have fine ground coffee, but wanted the option for course grounds for the occasional use of my French press. The finest setting on this grinder was barely adequate for a drip/filter machine. My review was pretty much as I've stated above and I believe I gave it a two-star (out of five) rating because of those shortcomings. (Note that it would have been fine as a general grinder, but it was/is supposed to be a coffee-specific, burr-grinder with multiple grind settings as I've described above, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations, hence I did not give a negative review based on something the item was not supposed to do or advertise as being able to do.)

I bought a new phone charger and ordered 2 usb cables at the same time. The charger was ok,but the usb cables were only ok for data but useless for charging. I wrote that in the review and at the same time asked for a refund. The review was accepted (it's still there) and I got my refund 3-4 days after returning the cables. I have returned a couple of orders and given 2 or 3 negative reviews, and they were accepted. When buying from LazMall there are in my opinion never any problems.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 6:43 AM, SteveK said:

Use a fake name, post through a VPN to hide your IP address, and don't give an specifics that would link the review to you. Then give them both barrels. But seriously, in Thailand even if what you say is 100% true it can still be defamation, especially when a farang is saying it. But if they can't trace you I'm not sure what can happen to you, almost certainly nothing.

and do not post a review the same day or next day when $hit happened !

On 9/22/2019 at 7:23 PM, blackcab said:

In Thailand you can post the absolute truth which is completely accurate and totally verifiable.

If you cause the person or company you posted about a loss, then you have committed defamation. The loss could be a loss of face or a loss of business.

Ultimately it would be up to a judge to determine whether a loss occured, and to award compensation and if appropriate a criminal penalty.

Quite understandably, most people do not want to get to the stage of risking imprisonment so they are cautious about their comments. Even more so when the person you comment about is wealthy and can easily afford to take you all the way to the Supreme Court to get a final verdict.

Even if you were to win you would end up paying substantial legal fees over the course of a decade until final judgement was received.

with VPN and fake names you do exactly what you want !

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:
7 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

I bought a new phone charger and ordered 2 usb cables at the same time. The charger was ok,but the usb cables were only ok for data but useless for charging. I wrote that in the review and at the same time asked for a refund. The review was accepted (it's still there) and I got my refund 3-4 days after returning the cables. I have returned a couple of orders and given 2 or 3 negative reviews, and they were accepted. When buying from LazMall there are in my opinion never any problems.

I'll add that I've had generally good experiences with Lazada. It was just this one coffee grinder that, despite its having multiple grind settings, was only able to grind down to a medium grind, decent enough for a drip machine but completely useless for a Turkish coffee pot or espresso machine.

Here is the exact text of my review:

"I just got this grinder and used it for the first time. It seems to be well built but the big problem is that the "Fine Grind" is not fine at all. I have an espresso machine that requires a fine grind and this machine really only provides a medium grind, even at its finest grind setting. So if you have an espresso machine at home DO NOT buy this grinder. It will work okay for drip machines and French presses, but not for anything requiring a finer grind. Even the finest grind is just barely fine enough for a drip machine."

The reason given for this review being rejected was "Abusive Language" accompanies by a paragraph of Thai text, which I do not read. As you'll see, the most demonstrative wording I gave was, "So if you have an espresso machine at home DO NOT buy this grinder." Yes, I used some all caps, but that was to emphasize the fact that this particular grinder was absolutely useless if you wanted fine grinds for an espresso machine, and that's what my comment says. I'm sorry but there's nothing "abusive" about that at all. Simply stating facts as to the shortcomings of the piece of junk I bought. (I even said the item "seems to be well built".)

15 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

I'll add that I've had generally good experiences with Lazada. It was just this one coffee grinder that, despite its having multiple grind settings, was only able to grind down to a medium grind, decent enough for a drip machine but completely useless for a Turkish coffee pot or espresso machine.

Here is the exact text of my review:

"I just got this grinder and used it for the first time. It seems to be well built but the big problem is that the "Fine Grind" is not fine at all. I have an espresso machine that requires a fine grind and this machine really only provides a medium grind, even at its finest grind setting. So if you have an espresso machine at home DO NOT buy this grinder. It will work okay for drip machines and French presses, but not for anything requiring a finer grind. Even the finest grind is just barely fine enough for a drip machine."

The reason given for this review being rejected was "Abusive Language" accompanies by a paragraph of Thai text, which I do not read. As you'll see, the most demonstrative wording I gave was, "So if you have an espresso machine at home DO NOT buy this grinder." Yes, I used some all caps, but that was to emphasize the fact that this particular grinder was absolutely useless if you wanted fine grinds for an espresso machine, and that's what my comment says. I'm sorry but there's nothing "abusive" about that at all. Simply stating facts as to the shortcomings of the piece of junk I bought. (I even said the item "seems to be well built".)

Don't you think it was the seller who got the review rejected? I have a hard time believing Lazada would have anything to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Don't you think it was the seller who got the review rejected? I have a hard time believing Lazada would have anything to do with it. 

As a shopper, I don't really care, although I doubt it very much. It is the Lazada site after all and I would hope they, Lazada, would control such a thing. Allowing a seller to unilaterally delete/deny valid reviews essentially defeats a major feature of an online shopping platform. (I often use Amazon reviews when considering products, even when I'm unlikely to purchase said product from Amazon. I'm just doing some preliminary research.)