For ‘pretties’, wages high, but also risk

rooster59

For ‘pretties’, wages high, but also risk

By The Nation

800_fd944bde7409531.jpg

The recent death after a Bangkok party of a “pretty” – a young woman hired by businesspeople to promote sales – has raised concerns over personal safety in this offshoot of the entertainment business.

As police continue to investigate the cause of the woman’s death, citizens are debating the merits of the trade and some of those involved in it are sharing their life stories.

One pretty described her experience in the job as a “lesson in survival”.

A reporter for Bangkok Biz News Online has collected such revelations in a bid to explain why so many women want to work as a pretty, the main bait for which is promises of high wages.

The “Teambigkren” Facebook page says such freelance jobs in entertainment – known as N-jobs – come in several forms (see graphic).

High wages are indeed available, but there is also often risk to health and even life, such as when ill-intentioned individuals are prepared to drug a pretty to take advantage of her while she’s unconscious or semi-conscious.

Gamma-hydroxybutyric (GHB) is known in Thai as the “virginity-loss drug”. A stimulant, it increases alertness but also sexual libido. And it’s readily found in many pubs, whether in tablet, powder or liquid form. The clear liquid is the most possible because it’s easily mixed in a drink unnoticed.

800_fd944bde7409531.jpg

One pretty interviewed for Bangkok Biz News said most people believe that the work, for which no college degree is required, pays Bt3,000 to Bt5,000 a night. But income is uneven and, far more importantly, your virginity and health are often at risk.

“You spent three to five hours mingling with people, drinking, mixing drinks and giving massages, so it’s important to know your limits, know how to refuse, don’t drink too much, don’t drink from the customer’s glass and don’t forget to stay in contact with your relatives,” she said.

“If possible, you should take friends with you and have someone ready to take you home.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/30376546

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-22

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to know how many of those pretties expect to meet a rich boyfriend or husband? I guess if they see a chance to marry a millionaire some might be willing to do their very best to make that guy happy.

I have no problems with this attitude and I think it's also ok if they just want to do their official job. But it would be interesting to know the real life situation. Do pretties often end up married to rich guys? Or is it more likely that they just go home after work or have a short time contacts?

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes.

What is your experience? Did you ask i.e. the pretties at motor shows if they want to go with you for an hour or two?

You think prostitutes will all have sex with anyone that asks?

From my observations, even bar girls pick and choose their customers.

In the Thai soapy massage places, most of the girls won't accept non Asian customers.

As for the motor shows, I never considered spending that much money.

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

From my observations, even bar girls pick and choose their customers.

I think so. They have the full choice unless too hard up for money.

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In the Thai soapy massage places, most of the girls won't accept non Asian customers.

I don't think so. No choice as is come and serve.

All this article is coming from is the recent story of a pretty in the Thai news who was drugged. CCTV showed her being picked up and put in an elevator by a semi young kid then put down against the wall, picked up again then put down while he opened a door, picked up again and then the final scene was he opened a room door. Odd thing is the picture in the elevator showed her face out cold, but she was already dead and he didn't know it. Pretty sick cc tv shots for sure. We should hope he got the point of her being dead after she was in the room and didn't do anything more stupid that what he had already done..

I wonder why they keep printing untruths about GHB. I have made and used it in the part. It tastes real salty and bad. You cannot hide it in a drink you know it when you drink it. You don't get super horny from it and if you use to much it knocks you out. Not fun stuff at all.  (only used it on myself as a substitute for alcohol)

49 minutes ago, essox essox said:

no

think PRETTIES is a new name for pros....

there are many pretties in massage parlours/shops......

Well think again, or have you approached a few in Lotus or Big C selling milk, shampoo or the likes, plus as you seem well aware of the fact regarding pretties / massage parlours I'll have to leave those observations to you. 

8 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Well think again, or have you approached a few in Lotus or Big C selling milk, shampoo or the likes, plus as you seem well aware of the fact regarding pretties / massage parlours I'll have to leave those observations to you. 

Just because they won't sell to you, doesn't mean they aren't selling.

I've never heard the "N jobs" term used in The Nation article, which I don't believe actually explains what "N" stands for in those instances... Perhaps "night."

But I think "pretty" is a broader term here that just means an attractive young woman dressed up as a sales/marketing tool.  Who the pretty works for and in what ways is a matter of her own choice, ranging from (as mentioned) hawking cosmetics or soy milk in Tescos or Big Cs, to working in bars to hawk drinks and such, to working private gigs like parties and events, etc etc.

I don't think the pretties hawking soy milk and cosmetics at Tesco are usually offering romps in bed on the side. But there are others working in different venues who certainly do for the right price. Not every pretty is a bar girl or hooker in disguise.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Does anyone really believe 'pretties' aren't all prostitutes?

a good friends sister is a pretty, has advanced education and comes from a very wealthy family. anyone that marries her would yearn for just hiring some hookers as it would be way cheaper.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry but it's not true

the massage parlors are one of the only place where everybody is welcome

in Pattaya is the reason you can see a lot of indians indians agglutinated in front of them

Archived