Thais warned to take precautions against chikungunya fever

rooster59

Thais warned to take precautions against chikungunya fever

Praphorn Praphornkul

9bf07c46e33663781e857dd3505533a5_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 21st September 2019 (NNT) - The Department of Disease Control, under the administration of the Ministry of Public Health, has issued a warning on the need to take precautions against chikungunya fever. People suffering from a high fever and joint pains should seek medical assistance immediately.

The Director-General of the Deparment of Disease Control, Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, said this week that the Nonthaburi Public Health Office recently discovered that more than 10 people in four villages of Pak Kret district had contracted chikungunya fever since July, but their cases were not severe. Their condition had steadily improved in each case. Officials were able to prevent the disease from spreading to other areas. People should not be too concerned about the situation, but they should continually eliminate potential breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

Between January 1 and September 16 this year, there were 7,481 patients with chikungunya fever, while no fatalities were reported. The majority of the cases were those aged 25 to 34 years old, followed by 35 to 44 and 15 to 24. The five provinces with the highest number of chikungunya patients were Pattani, Ranong, Tak, Phuket and Songkhla.

Preventive measures against chikungunya, dengue, and Zika viruses include clearing garbage around households, covering all water and food containers and removing waste water where mosquitoes can breed, around the home.

Chikungunya is an infection caused by the chikungunya virus. It can spread to people of any age by the bite of an infected mosquito. Symptoms include high fever and rashes and may include joint pain, particularly among adults. The pain can last for one to two weeks.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-09-22

They are playing this down as a mild disease, I have had it and I assure you it is not.

It started in the beginning of July and for a couple of days was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, from my eyelids to my toes every time I moved it hurt. Sweat poured out of me even running down my shins when I stood, three kg weight loss over two days despite a large intake of fluids. My Doctor took one look and gave me one injection and a course of tablets for a few days and just said it will be OK.

Over the next month it did improve but I still feel tired easily and nearly three months later I would only rate myself as 80% of my previous fitness.

Age plays a large part in recovery but even so it is not an insignificant illness so use the bug spray and clean up your garden.

21 minutes ago, PJPom said:

They are playing this down as a mild disease, I have had it and I assure you it is not.

It started in the beginning of July and for a couple of days was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, from my eyelids to my toes every time I moved it hurt. Sweat poured out of me even running down my shins when I stood, three kg weight loss over two days despite a large intake of fluids. My Doctor took one look and gave me one injection and a course of tablets for a few days and just said it will be OK.

Over the next month it did improve but I still feel tired easily and nearly three months later I would only rate myself as 80% of my previous fitness.

Age plays a large part in recovery but even so it is not an insignificant illness so use the bug spray and clean up your garden.

I had the opposite experience but not in any nice way. I got symptoms similar to malaria, with high fever, mild joint pain during the initial stage. But the virus left me with a permanent inflamatory condition, including severe arthritis and spondylosis. I spend about $15,000 dollars a year just to pay for fortnightly injections - treatment will be for life. It is always possible that the treatment may become ineffective and I will have to look for another form of medication.

Not everyone who is infected will get arthritis - it depends on your genetic makeup. 

"My Doctor took one look and gave me one injection and a course of tablets for a few days and just said it will be OK. "

If it is indeed viral, not much a shot can do unless it was to treat the symptoms. Glad you're ok. :) TO be honest, just treating the symptoms is pretty darned nice sometimes lol.

Stay safe and healthy out there. Tis the season.....

5 hours ago, PJPom said:

Your symptoms are as mine were when i contracted "Ross River Fever" (form of Malaria) hate to tell you this but expect a re bout in about 2 years.   Took years to get back to some sort of Normal fitness.

sincerely hope yours is not the case, good luck

The gifts from Thailand just keep on giving. For me in 9 years I have to thank you for Malaria and Dengie x 2 (second gift was horrendous and side effects lasted about 3 months "everything I drank tasted of charcoal"). Was one of the main reasons we left. I could not go through it again or risk being given more gifts... 

3 minutes ago, justin case said:

if it is viral ... order yourself a big jar of L-LYSINE powder, take 1 gram , 3 times per day and avoid arginine rich foods as virii love to multiply on arginine

that relates to herpes prone victims...  

20 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Your symptoms are as mine were when i contracted "Ross River Fever" (form of Malaria) hate to tell you this but expect a re bout in about 2 years.   Took years to get back to some sort of Normal fitness.

sincerely hope yours is not the case, good luck

Ross river fever is not a form of malaria. Completely different disease.

Malaria is caused by a parasite called plasmodium (several types). Ross river fever is a viral illness caused by an alphavirus found in Australia and the South Pacific.

Chikungunya itself does not recur, and immunity is usually life long. However in about 1/3 of people there is a long lasting polyarthritis that develops and can be chronic or have a relapsing pattern. The mechanism is unclear but does not eem to be due to the virus lasting. it may be a type of autoimmune response triggered by the virus.

7 hours ago, Proboscis said:

I had the opposite experience but not in any nice way. I got symptoms similar to malaria, with high fever, mild joint pain during the initial stage. But the virus left me with a permanent inflamatory condition, including severe arthritis and spondylosis. I spend about $15,000 dollars a year just to pay for fortnightly injections - treatment will be for life. It is always possible that the treatment may become ineffective and I will have to look for another form of medication.

Not everyone who is infected will get arthritis - it depends on your genetic makeup. 

I got arthritis through a side effect of some TB med's,the Thai doctor advised for massage, pressure points and hot herb press, i was lucky to find one near me and the woman gave home visits, extremely painful it was too, 2 hrs at a time twice a week, to cut a long story short, it worked ! so give it a go.

Archived