Looking to buy Ducks

kirkieb

Hi all

I am located in Kalasin District and looking for Ducks and Ducklings for sale.

Khaki Campbells or Peking or Indian Runners.  Looking for about 2 Males, 6 Female Adults and maybe 30 Ducklings at this stage.

Any advise and contact details would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Kirky

11 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

My advice from someone who has had ducks, buy chickens. Ducks will ruin your pond. Their poop is bad news. Chicken poop can be used a fertilizer.

IMGP0021.JPG

IMGP0022.JPG

Seems like you are missing the aquatic vegetation to keep your water clean. 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Seems like you are missing the aquatic vegetation to keep your water clean. 

They ate the plants. My problem was I had too any ducks for that size pond. Experts recommend 8-15 ducks per .5 hectare pond. Now to convert that to rai, left me think and get out a calculator. 1 hectace is 10,000 sq/mt so .5 would be 5,000 sq/mt. Now one rai is 1600 sq/mt so you would need a 3.125 rai. pond for 8-15 ducks. My pond was half a rai and I had about 40 ducks.   

Obviously I did not do my homework before I bought the ducks. Don't fall into the same trap.

Here's a start.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Can-ducks-and-geese-survive-on-a-pond-H461.aspx

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

They ate the plants. My problem was I had too any ducks for that size pond. Experts recommend 8-15 ducks per .5 hectare pond. Now to convert that to rai, left me think and get out a calculator. 1 hectace is 10,000 sq/mt so .5 would be 5,000 sq/mt. Now one rai is 1600 sq/mt so you would need a 3.125 rai. pond for 8-15 ducks. My pond was half a rai and I had about 40 ducks.   

Obviously I did not do my homework before I bought the ducks. Don't fall into the same trap.

Here's a start.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Can-ducks-and-geese-survive-on-a-pond-H461.aspx

That is definately not a realistic calculation. All those numbers are totally wrong.

Be careful of algae toxins in the water. ducks are highly susceptible.   

Although unlikely in your case, as the duck numbers are / will be low, following heavy and season end rains algae blooms are common.    These blooms can be greater when other plants have gone.

On commercial duck farms in Asia that I used to visit which reared / grew ducks on pond systems I have seen hundreds of duck die from toxins.     These are heavily stocked and used continuously.     Ponds are often ex-mining ponds.

Not sure of the colour of Indian Runner you are looking for and as you know egg colour can be white, blue, green.      They are often used in Indonesia.     They prefer foraging on land to swimming.

The web site below, although many years old has some interesting information regarding stocking densities of 200 per 1/2 hectare.

Good luck.

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd18/1/chan18006.htm

Video about trained ducks which can be hired:

Btw. in the controlled experiment combining housed ducks on banks of ponds and growing carps inside those ponds in India food for ducks was a significant control variable. In my personal experiece with ducks when grass would be present that grass would not be under control, so not be present for a long time....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived