Australia to help Trump reach the moon, and beyond

rooster59

Australia to help Trump reach the moon, and beyond

2019-09-22T023130Z_1_LYNXMPEF8L018_RTROPTP_4_USA-AUSTRALIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump looks at Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison during an official arrival ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., September 20, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia will invest A$150 million ($101 million) in its companies and technology to help U.S. President Donald Trump's bid for a moon landing by 2024 and subsequent U.S. missions to Mars, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said over the weekend.

Morrison, visiting NASA headquarters in Washington, said the five-year investment plan would help businesses support U.S. automation systems, build equipment for space craft and play a role in mineral exploration.

"We're backing Australian businesses to the moon, and even Mars, and back," Morrison said.

The announcement came after Morrison made a state visit to the White House on Friday, with the red carpet rolled out, signalling Australia's strong ties with the United States after a period of tense relations with China.

The investment is part of a broader Australian plan to beef up its space sector, with Morrison saying the government wants to triple the size of the sector to A$12 billion and create some 20,000 extra jobs by 2030.

Trump, when asked at a joint news conference with Morrison about the U.S. space programme, said the focus was on Mars.

"We're stopping at the moon," he said, according to a transcript.

"The moon is actually a launching pad. That's why we're stopping at the moon. I said, 'hey, we've already done the moon. That's not so exciting'. They said, 'no, sir, it's a launching pad for Mars'. So we'll be doing the moon but we'll really be doing Mars."

(Reporting by Lidia Kelly; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-22

36 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The moon is actually a launching pad. That's why we're stopping at the moon. I said, 'hey, we've already done the moon. That's not so exciting'. They said, 'no, sir, it's a launching pad for Mars'. So we'll be doing the moon but we'll really be doing Mars."

While I was able to decode the rambling nonsense above, that statement proves trump should really stick to the script when he doesn’t really understand what he is on about. Which is a frequent situation. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where can I donate to send Trump to the moon and beyond?

Suggestions please only for one way trips.

you can send it Western Union over to the post office near my place and i'll see that he gets it.

please don't donate anything small as it's not worth me going down the road to collect it

36 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Is that why the age pension increase is much lower than expected ?

Ignoring social programs like pensions and NDIS helps them to balance the budget and convince the voting idiots that they are good money managers.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/19/australias-budget-effectively-in-balance-after-46bn-underspend-on-ndis

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I will chip in personally if we can  send him on a one way trip.

Who is this "we" you are refering to? Please provide your credit card number, the name on the card, the expiration date, security code and PIN. It may raise the credibility of your post to personally fund any travel arrangements.

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Is that why the age pension increase is much lower than expected ?

Age age pension budget is currently 50 billion, growing to around 65 billion by 2024 (completion date of this project).  150 million represents no more than a cup of (very cheap) coffee at best, for each pensioner, each fortnight.   Would you rather have your cheap coffee, or see it spent on a project with massive potential for the future of all mankind?

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Its less than half what they forecasted the increase to be and with the exchange rate I need that cheap coffee to get through the day which you obviously don't .

I sympathise with you, but it is literally 40c per fortnight.   The reason pension increases are u der expectations are that pensions are unsustainable in all countries, largely driven by aging populations.   You can't forego all other forms of future advancement to bump that up.   It is only going to get worse for future generations.

Archived