Itchy skin rash from working outside...

bamboozled

I'm curious if anyone else gets this as I repeatedly have this issue and have it currently. The scenario: working outside in my yard, cleaning up/general yard work, getting dirty, and of course, sweating. Soon after doing this, my skin in various places breaks out in a very itchy rash that lasts 5 to 7 days before relief from the itching (much more than a mosquito bite). It sometimes manifests itself as small red dots sparsely concentrated (and sometimes almost invisible) but still incredibly itchy. Other times, it is much more dramatic and inflames a whole area. A couple months ago, I actually went to the hospital as it was on so many areas of my body simultaneously and quite inflamed that I became a bit worried at the intensity of the reaction. They gave me something via IV which I guess helped though was not a magical cure. The odd thing is, I don't get this rash from working outside and sweating and getting dirty anywhere else. Only here in Thailand. I sometimes think getting it involves rubbing up against plants (such as when cutting them back or gathering up the cuttings) but I haven't confirmed it. Perhaps it just irritates the skin even more. Come to think of it, I believe I've gotten it in the house, too, when moving boxes (perhaps dusty/ dirty boxes?) and sweating (without a shirt on and the boxes resting on my belly and subsequently some rash on my belly). Does anyone else enjoy this curious experience? It's causing me discomfort, oh yes! Again, the most curious phenomenon is that I only get it in Thailand. Oh, and I don't get it, for example, working out and sweating.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thank you, Bam

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

I would guess you are allergic to a particular plant or herb growing in your garden, or that there's a stinging one in there. It's happening to me these days after picking up some wild flowers from a vacant lot behind my condo. Picking up flowers that bloom just by the street doesn't cause any trouble, but picking up those same flowers blooming within bushes inside the plot, causes exactly same symptoms as you described. I reckon there must be a stinging plant or herb within those bushes, or one that I'm particularly allergic to.

I will ask for the Myda B because the 3 creams I have used thus far do not do much at all for the itching. I rather like the chigger idea. I remember as a kid I had what were thought to be chigger bites all over my legs and it looked quite the same and man did it itch. Only thing, my wife was even more in the plants than I and is 100% rash free. It's true, however, that we were messing around in different gardens. She has never gotten this rash, however, ever. And I have had it multiple times. I was wondering it it could be an allergic reaction to something in the dust/dirt here that is not present in other countries.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Could be a species of tiny little ants,you can hardly see them,

the bite is very itchy and lasts for days.

regards Worgeordie

could be, something similar to the sand flea/fly, barely visible but very nasty bite

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

could be, something similar to the sand flea/fly, barely visible but very nasty bite

I felt a sting the other day, couldnt see what it was other than this little black dot. Then the next day, I had a bump like a boil, then my arm started to rash, and I had to eat bendryl. Never saw what it was.

Sweat rash, prickly heat.

Us falangs are not built for working in the heat.

Wear light coloured, linen clothes and a pith helmet.  Sit under the verandah with an iced G&T and let the natives do the work.

A solution our grandfathers developed that still works today.

My 'domestic colonialism' has cured my heat rash issue.  I sit in the shade with a cold drink while the long haired one does the work.  And if it's too much for her, she has an endless supply of friendly relatives who will move mountains for a cold Chang.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I felt a sting the other day, couldnt see what it was other than this little black dot. Then the next day, I had a bump like a boil, then my arm started to rash, and I had to eat bendryl. Never saw what it was.

they come in all sorts of color, the ones I get are transparent yellowish/beige and see their red bite pimple 3-4 hours after they do it, my temporary itchy relief/solution is anti histamine

I need to try this Myda B - not heard of it.

I have a similar looking problem but only on my back and I NEVER go shirtless unless showering or sleeping. In fact the last 2 weeks I have been wearing a shirt over my T Shirt as I put this down to savage mosquitos. I NEVER do any sort of outdoor work as I hate gardening but our house is surrounded by trees and plants. I am not too worried about what it is as long as i get somethng to stop the itching. I am also losing sleep with this.

Is the brand name Myda B? Will the pharmacy know what I want?

Off to Google chiggers now. Can they bite through clothing?

I just bought the Myda-B. She knew what it was immediately.  The heat rash idea....I've certainly thought of it but why do I only get it in Thailand? Sure, Thailand is hot but it is not the only place I have sweated in 36 or 38 degree heat. But only here do I get the rash. Perhaps a combo of the heat/sweat and the particular dust/dirt here?

Yes, tonight an anti-histamine but during the day I was afraid of being to groggy.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Could be a species of tiny little ants,you can hardly see them,

the bite is very itchy and lasts for days.

regards Worgeordie

I've experienced the ant attacks and bites. Itching is horrible, similar to what I have now. But I did not feel the ant bites which usually are quite obvious/painful.

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I just bought the Myda-B. She knew what it was immediately.  The heat rash idea....I've certainly thought of it but why do I only get it in Thailand? Sure, Thailand is hot but it is not the only place I have sweated in 36 or 38 degree heat. But only here do I get the rash. Perhaps a combo of the heat/sweat and the particular dust/dirt here?

Yes, tonight an anti-histamine but during the day I was afraid of being to groggy.

Same here, 5 years in Cambodia before here and not even 1 mozzie bite, never mind an itchy rash.

Archived