30 day unlimited talk plan to call Canada from Thailand?

steve654

Just get a data plan and a free Google Voice account and make calls using the Google Hangouts app.  Not including data plan costs, calls to USA/Canada phone numbers are 100% free.  I use it all the time and call quality using AIS data is excellent.  No dropped packets or jitter or excessive delay.

Only catch is I think you need a US SMS capable phone number to activate a Google Voice account.  Also, you cannot change your Caller ID.  So the person on the other end will see your Google Voice phone number as your Caller ID.  If that doesn't work for you for whatever reason, there are many other VoIP providers that charge peanuts and various native and 3rd party SIP clients for your smart phone.

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, shdmn said:

Just get a data plan and a free Google Voice account and make calls using the Google Hangouts app.  Not including data plan costs, calls to USA/Canada phone numbers are 100% free.  I use it all the time and call quality using AIS data is excellent.  No dropped packets or jitter or excessive delay.

Only catch is I think you need a US SMS capable phone number to activate a Google Voice account.  Also, you cannot change your Caller ID.  So the person on the other end will see your Google Voice phone number as your Caller ID.  If that doesn't work for you for whatever reason, there are many other VoIP providers that charge peanuts and various native and 3rd party SIP clients for your smart phone.

Does this only work when you have your Can or US sim installed.   Just tried it with my regular phone and it worked great, but on my secondary the one with an old AIS sim, it is saying I need to buy credits to make this call.  

Im trying this out at home in Canada by the way 

36 minutes ago, TamadeYao said:

Does this only work when you have your Can or US sim installed.   Just tried it with my regular phone and it worked great, but on my secondary the one with an old AIS sim, it is saying I need to buy credits to make this call.  

Im trying this out at home in Canada by the way 

It works anywhere in the world.  No SIM or cell service of any kind required.  You just need your phone connected to the internet.  Either WiFi or cell data.   What you are talking about trying to roam with an AIS SIM is a competely separate thing.

29 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can also call free using Line app and whatsapp and Viber if the other person has the same app on their smartphone.

If the other person only has a landline or mobile i use Skype to call them, usually low call rates

Google Voice is 100% free to call US and Canada landline and mobile numbers and probably similar to Skype rates to call international numbers.

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

It works anywhere in the world.  No SIM or cell service of any kind required.  You just need your phone connected to the internet.  Either WiFi or cell data.   What you are talking about trying to roam with an AIS SIM is a competely separate thing.

Im in Canada so Google Voice is not available.  I'm running this with just Hangout and Hangout Dialer and don't have a google voice number. 

It seems to be be fine on my regular phone. but on my travel phone it keeps on saying that I need to buy credits to complete the call.  

Just brought up the sim cause that is what I have installed in my travel unit and thought that may be the reason for the problem.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can also call free using Line app and whatsapp and Viber if the other person has the same app on their smartphone.

If the other person only has a landline or mobile i use Skype to call them, usually low call rates

Using it to check up on my grandma when I'm away, so no smart phone.  I tried 

Probably just pickup the Viber Unlimited plan if this does not work 

14 hours ago, TamadeYao said:

Im in Canada so Google Voice is not available.  I'm running this with just Hangout and Hangout Dialer and don't have a google voice number. 

It seems to be be fine on my regular phone. but on my travel phone it keeps on saying that I need to buy credits to complete the call.  

Just brought up the sim cause that is what I have installed in my travel unit and thought that may be the reason for the problem.

It is available anywhere in the world including Canada.  You just need a US mobile phone number (ie SMS capable number) to activate it.  If you don't already have a US mobile phone number you can easily get one from a VoIP service such as voip.ms.   After you activate it you do not need that US mobile number anymore.  So you just need to purchase a US SMS capable phone number for one month which is around $4 with voip.ms I think.

You could also use Skype or voip.ms for pennies per minute instead.  I mentioned Google Voice because it is 100% free and the apps are already on your Android phone with no additional configuration required.

Archived