Jomtien Immigration - House visit

Yes, there isn't much to it, not the drama people make it out to be.

Surprised they took a week to come out though, for me it's always been later the same day as lodging. 

The witness or wife being home could be a drama for some people, in the middle of the day, as wife/neighbors could be at work etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

I've just noticed that I repeated the word "morning" in the second sentence of my "New topic". Very careless of me. Is it possible for me to go in and edit the original, or do I have to always send a post like this correcting it?

There is a limited time-frame in which you can edit your own posts. Beyond that only a moderator can do it. 

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The pain is inflicted by having police show up at your home asking personal questions and taking pictures...

You might have evened the score by taking a selfie pointing to the police while they conducted their interrogation...????

Compliance with any law, formality or procedure is voluntary. The consequences for non-obeyance can be painful and interrogating to be sure. I prefer compliance.

• Like 1

Nowt wrong with Jomtien IO....always found them professional and very well organised especially considering the amount of people/idiots that use that office. Marriage extensions are not done in house so having to visit your home is probably out of their hands. As seen, a few minutes of yours and their time and done

• Like 2

We had our first annual extension last month. I was expecting a visit, nothing. So a week out from the end of the one month extension got the wife to call to see why there had not been a visit...maybe you have overlooked us. Told they only randomly select for subsequent visits and to come in on the extension end date for the one year extension. Did so, and no issues.

Then last week as we were leaving the IO after doing the 90 day report one of the head officers approaches us to say they came out for a surprise visit and couldn't find our house. Despite the accurate hand-drawn map, despite the name and location of our village shown, despite the GPS coordinates also on it, despite them having my and the wife's mobile numbers, despite it being a prominent house on a well used road. Beggars belief.

BTW, my IO have never muttered a word about the TM30 this year when we have two 90 day report and the two visit annual marriage extension interactions.

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, there isn't much to it, not the drama people make it out to be.

Surprised they took a week to come out though, for me it's always been later the same day as lodging. 

The witness or wife being home could be a drama for some people, in the middle of the day, as wife/neighbors could be at work etc

The only problem for us would be a ”witness” Da and Daughter are from Bangkok. I would need to beat the bushes to find someone to inconvenience. Currently still on Extension of Stay for retirement but in the future I might have to deal with this. ’Course by that time who knows what will be the requirements so not to worry....

Edited by wwest5829

As I've mentioned in other posts. We get a home visit EVERY extension.

Usually requires more than one witness.

As others have noted it's not always easy to find neighbors home and available for the iOs visit.

My wife works for an overseas company out of Thailand and must make a special trip back to attend the IO. Then stick around for the home visit.

Last time we paid them ~B2000 to come out quickly the next day so she could fly back to her work.

Certainly an expensive inconvenience  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

As others have noted it's not always easy to find neighbors home and available for the iOs visit.

My wife works for an overseas company out of Thailand and must make a special trip back to attend the IO. Then stick around for the home visit.

Last time we paid them ~B2000 to come out quickly the next day so she could fly back to her work.

yes jomtien immi is doing when a couple is childless. this procedure replaced the jomtien request to take every year a thai witness to the office when applying.

wbr

roobaa01

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

My wife works for an overseas company out of Thailand and must make a special trip back to attend the IO.

IO control visit is one time a year, so your wife is out of Thailand most of the time? 

Why are you here? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

You may be fortunate even getting the extension given the arrangements you mention. De facto and de riguer might not being met.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:48 AM, Wake Up said:

IMO good for them to spot check some marriages to make sure it is a real marriage.  Would expect and hope the same from immigration in my home country.  

Wish they'd do it in my country, too - but they don't even bother with known border-jumping aliens, there.

In general, this is one of the only things they do which could make a difference in terms of fraud.  But, of course, fraud isn't the issue - they prefer fraud.  This is evidenced by no one paying off immigration via an agent receiving a home-visit - or not that I have seen reported. 

So, as usual, the "bad guys" are free to game the system with a little "grease," and only those following official-procedure and paying the "official fee" for their legit-extensions get the extra scrutiny.

Bummer if you have to take time off from work (which supports your Thai family), to meet them.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, jacko45k said:

I doubt they would be so accommodating if you wanted to go visit them at their homes and take a few pictures. I would like to take a picture of their uniform hanging in the wardrobe, just to confirm they are who they say they are!

they are almost certainly hoping to find some irregularity or technicality so they can then stumble upon a brown envelope.  I hate to presume something like that, but too many stories out there about such things happening.