Just washed my passport

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

You beat many in speed as me and supposing have the same question ….. washing your passport (involuntarily …?) as said your most important document so far miles / km's from home country ….

I never carry mine except for visit I.O or bank or other important visit , my passport stay safe place  home and I carry a FULL copied pages on me …., even it is not in my safe as I could be in a circumstance to send some person to my home with keys to bring it to a police station if I would have meet a incident or a difficult police man.... so I don't have to give my safe code out (bigger disaster …!!!)

Years ago I had to visit the aliens police in Amsterdam on my bike of course, on the way back it hammered down and the passport was in the pocket of my waterproof jacket but tucked the pocket flap inside instead of out,the rain got in I dried it out but I had to get it replaced.It was easy in those days just took it to the British consulate and had a new one within a week.never saw that one again.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have done a little digging for more info.

On the application form it has a tick box to have your passport sent back to you.

image.png.64dbe5e73c6b11e95549e6ea60ae9a31.png

I just read that can not use a renewal form if my passport is lost or damaged. I have to use regular form which requires other forms like proof of citizenship.

I am really screwed.

It looks like I will have to back to Canada.

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I just read that can not use a renewal form if my passport is lost or damaged. I have to use regular form which requires other forms like proof of citizenship.

I am really screwed.

It looks like I will have to back to Canada.

Don't have your birth certificate?

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have done a little digging for more info.

On the application form it has a tick box to have your passport sent back to you.

image.png.64dbe5e73c6b11e95549e6ea60ae9a31.png

So..... damaged passports seems not to be returned...

2019-09-22_164024.png

Edited by david555

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I think you need to talk to the embassy about it.

I think the definition of a damaged passport may need to be clarified. The info I found is little confusing about it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I'm Canadian and have done the same thing.

I got a temp white passport at the embassy, you need a police report

It took me a day at Chang Watana to transfer my entry stamp to my white passport (I don't recommend this place but you have to do it)

Applied for new passport at embassy, had to go to work offshore

Temp passport got me to work and back, visa on entry, by then my new passport was at the embassy

The embassy will keep your damaged passport, you CANNOT keep it.

you will only get a 5 year passport, punishment for being stupid I guess, if you damage this passport you will only get a 2 year passport.

Start over on long term visa's

It sucks, but has to be done

I have done some research and it appears you are correct.

The problem is I don't have a birth certificate. I am naturalized Canadian.

I can apply for proof of citizenship, That is fine.

However, they require an additional document such as driver's license or any other document with a name or address issued by the government. I have been in Thailand 6 years and I don't have any of that anymore.

How is this going to work???? 

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Just asking, in this case it should help in any way if you have a color copy of your passport 

somewhere (On paper print or in your phone) ?

And it isn't better in this case to just declare the lost of the passeport?

(Then at least you not seems to be totaly stupid or careless in the eyes of the officials)

Also you wouldn,t be asked to render the old one. 

7 minutes ago, Pravda said:

The problem is I don't have a birth certificate. I am naturalized Canadian.

I can apply for proof of citizenship, That is fine.

However, they require an additional document such as driver's license or any other document with a name or address issued by the government. I have been in Thailand 6 years and I don't have any of that anymore.

I think a lot of that is for a lost passport or a passport that is damaged so badly you cannot prove you are Canadian.

As I wrote before I think you need to confirm what is needed in your case at the embassy.

Not a good suggestion. That would be making a false statement to the police when you do a report of its loss and about the same at your embassy.
Also some countries will make a problem it you actually do lose a passport in short period of time.
Police take loss passport report seriously. They will ask you questions and you have to tell lies after lies to make the storey straight.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Personally, until prevented from doing so, I would try to treat this as a regular passport renewal. It appears that the passport is still clearly yours with all critical information legible. My guess is that the renewal would go through normally.

16 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Maybe Im totally stupid, but how does one manage to wash his passport in the washing machine?

Its kind of an impoprtant document innit?

Ooops, Im sorry I just figured it out, its something to do with Canada I see. ???? ???? 

Goalie or defense?

A person asks a question about replacement of a passport/visa and gets a reply such as this. After looking at the structure of the response, I suspect liquids of some sort had a part in it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to the embassy and they will issue me a temporary passport if I have a citizenship certificate only. 

I don't. 

I asked about emergency document and she just gave me a phone number to call. 

How difficult will it be to exit Thailand on damaged passport. 

The photo is completely ruined although all the numbers are there. 

49 minutes ago, Pravda said:

How difficult will it be to exit Thailand on damaged passport. 

The photo is completely ruined although all the numbers are there. 

As there's substantial damage, you won't be able to leave Thailand on that passport.

I had an Indonesian friend visiting me that had the exact same problem last year. He washed his pants with his passport in his pocket. He was able to leave the country on the damaged passport but was given a lecture by immigration at the Phuket airport about getting a new one. His TM6 was still readable so that may have helped. 

Upon on arrival in Indonesia he was allowed in the country since it was clearly his passport and he was a citizen. 

He applied for a new passport when he returned home. Unfortunately his US visa was no longer valid since it had been damaged and he had to go through the process of applying for a new one.  Based upon that experience, my guess is you’ll be able to leave Phuket and go to your home country, but you’ll have to apply for a new visa which could be problematic since you’re no longer married. 

So citizenship certificate is found and will be sent via fedex.

The lady at the phone told me that with the embassy letter they will issue me (or stamp me) a new non-o at Chaeng Wattana?

Surely that is not the case.... or is it?

???? This is a truly terrible feeling. I was in Jomtien and put my passport through the wash. I dropped to my knees ugly-crying NOOOO! shaking my first at the sky when I found it.

I put a paper towel between each page to wick away the moisture, with a heavy weight on top to squash it flat. Then I lovingly ironed each page. And let it rest under a book overnight; it was very soft, the cover like fabric, but got me out of the country to apply for a new one. Fortunately the US Dept of State accepted it and issued a replacement.

10 minutes ago, marcusb said:

Must be very nice going through life and never making a error.  I've never washed a passport, but have made a few dumb mistakes in my 57 years.  

I never said that I haven't made mistakes, actually, like most people, I have made lots of them, but I have never been so careless with vitally important documents, like a passport.

Edited by Pilotman

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I never said that I haven't made mistakes, actually, like most people, I have made lots of them, but I have never been so careless with vitally important documents, like a passport.

You win a cookie

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Maybe Im totally stupid, but how does one manage to wash his passport in the washing machine?

Its kind of an impoprtant document innit?

Ooops, Im sorry I just figured it out, its something to do with Canada I see. ???? ???? 

Goalie or defense?

My wife washed mine once. Easy to do. Neither are Canadian.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My wife washed mine once. Easy to do. Neither are Canadian.

grounds for divorce I would say, but what was your passport doing in your clothes anyway?  Surly it is best in either a travel wallet, travel bag, or the house safe place?  Maybe your wife was washing your travel bag? 

Edited by Pilotman

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

grounds for divorce I would say, but what was your passport doing in your clothes anyway?  Surly it is best in either a travel wallet, travel bag, or the house safe place?  Maybe your wife was washing your travel bag? 

It was my fault, I keep my passport in a kinda hidden pocket and had some things that needed it a few days in a row. 

She did wash a travel bag once with w0k camera inside, that was a bummer.

Passports  are replaceable, not sure why you think they are so important, its not like money, gold.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

It was my fault, I keep my passport in a kinda hidden pocket and had some things that needed it a few days in a row. 

She did wash a travel bag once with w0k camera inside, that was a bummer.

Passports  are replaceable, not sure why you think they are so important, its not like money, gold.

Fair enough, just an unfortunate accident then ,but still grounds for divorce.  I dont let my wife wash my clothes anymore, as over a short time, they all end up the same colour, a kind of dirty beige. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Fair enough, just an unfortunate accident then ,but still grounds for divorce.  I dont let my wife wash my clothes anymore, as over a short time, they all end up the same colour, a kind of dirty beige. 

Wow, I wouldn't dream of getting married if I had to do housework or cook.

• Sad 1