Peripheral Color Test

Denim

I have read other threads on this but have a few questions.

This is not about the traffic light test

This is not about seeing a number in a card of dots

This is not about naming colors pointed at on a large circle

This is about the peripheral color test where two lights are turned on at each side of your head about a foot away from where your ears are. 

I had trouble with this last time but passed through cheating. Licence renewal this week so I was just clarifying that there are only 3 colors used in this test. Red Green and Yellow.  I see the lights no problem but not the colors. I am now thinking that if when two lights are shown they are different colors then you at least have a 50% chance of getting one right !  Now , if I can watch others take the test to see which light is brightest ( yellow ) then if this is absent then answering red / green should be correct. 

I have been doing exercises to improve my peripheral vision but would like to get some mathematical probability on my side also.

If I fail then I can still get an International Driving permit sent to me but a Thai licence again would be better.

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It's simple really, just don't be colour blind.

I was asking the OP, and as he said he couldn't distinguish the colours on the peripheral test, it was a valid question as to how he could pass the colour test. So your response was neither clever or funny.

I have read other threads on this but have a few questions.

This is not about the traffic light test
This is not about seeing a number in a card of dots
This is not about naming colors pointed at on a large circle

This is about the peripheral color test where two lights are turned on at each side of your head about a foot away from where your ears are. 

I had trouble with this last time but passed through cheating. Licence renewal this week so I was just clarifying that there are only 3 colors used in this test. Red Green and Yellow.  I see the lights no problem but not the colors. I am now thinking that if when two lights are shown they are different colors then you at least have a 50% chance of getting one right !  Now , if I can watch others take the test to see which light is brightest ( yellow ) then if this is absent then answering red / green should be correct. 

I have been doing exercises to improve my peripheral vision but would like to get some mathematical probability on my side also.

If I fail then I can still get an International Driving permit sent to me but a Thai licence again would be better.

If I remember rightly they don’t show two colours at the same time, one colour at a time alternating between left and right at my DLT.

Sorry, if this doesn’t help, which DLT will you use ?
Hopefully someone will come along who has experience with your DLT to confirm.

The first time I took the test I had a lot of trouble with it and had to take it twice before I passed.

The problem I had was that the colors don't match real stoplight colors!  Instead of red/yellow/green the colors they used were orange/light green/dark green.  I kept on calling the 'yellow' green, because it WAS green.  After I figured out what the colors were supposed to be, I passed without much difficulty.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How do you pass the colour test?

I pass the traffic light test easily....see all colours perfectly.

I can pass the colour test with the big circle and lots of dots where the tester uses a pointer and you say the colour. Also easy

It is only the peripheral test that is difficult.

Here is a link explaining the anatomical facts of why this is so ;

https://socratic.org/questions/why-don-t-we-get-color-or-detail-information-from-our-peripheral-vision

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If I remember rightly they don’t show two colours at the same time, one colour at a time alternating between left and right at my DLT.

Sorry, if this doesn’t help, which DLT will you use ?
Hopefully someone will come along who has experience with your DLT to confirm.

Thanks. That is a help as I couldn't remember if the lights were simultaneous or one at a time. THE DLT is in Petchabun. Part of my plan is to be as unctuous and friendly as possible and hope they are sympathetic. This is generally the least strict of the various tests.

54 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

The first time I took the test I had a lot of trouble with it and had to take it twice before I passed.

The problem I had was that the colors don't match real stoplight colors!  Instead of red/yellow/green the colors they used were orange/light green/dark green.  I kept on calling the 'yellow' green, because it WAS green.  After I figured out what the colors were supposed to be, I passed without much difficulty.

Ah ha.....very useful. I suspected as much. Another strategy I have is that I will try to be the last tested so I can have a good snoop at the equipment before my turn comes.

I hope to pass by being as thorough as possible in my preparation. 

Fortunately I feel better knowing that if I fail I do at least have the option of getting an International licence sent out to me. Not as good but good enough to get through the odd checkpoint.

33 minutes ago, ricklev said:

You can go to any testing center.  I use the one in Chiang Mai as they use a color chart and not the peripheral testing.

Too far but thanks for the insight. Further proof that when it comes to rules in Thailand , requirements often vary.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I was asking the OP, and as he said he couldn't distinguish the colours on the peripheral test, it was a valid question as to how he could pass the colour test. So your response was neither clever or funny.

Maybe not and it wasn't meant to be, but it's an indisputable fact.  Colour blind drivers are a potential menace to the rest of us and should not get a licence 

Just now, Pilotman said:

Maybe not and it wasn't meant to be, but it's an indisputable fact.  Colour blind drivers are a potential menace to the rest of us and should not get a licence 

I think there is a lot of confusion about the term color blind.

It is assumed that the term literally means that the sufferer cannot see any color at all....like a dog ....and that everything is shades of grey.

This is not so. People who are technically a bit color blind differentiate colors just like anybody else except with a slight shift that makes color tests difficult. In another thread a poster said a test had been devised for people with a ' color blind ' shift.

They could pass it easily . unfortunately, non color blind people could not because it was now out of their range.

As for being a potential menace , from my experience I would say there are a lot worse drivers out there than those who don't see eye to eye with color tests. Idiotic pick up drivers just to mention one.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Thailand is one of the few countries that has a colour blindness test, most western countries do not, so your comment about being a menace is rubbish. I've been driving for more than 50 years and I'm fully colour blind, never did a colour test until I came to Thailand, never had an accident that was my fault either, so you'll need to try a bit harder.

Archived