Renewal. How many inches up from bottom to sign?

I remember a couple years back immigration told me to white out all the signatures and sign again on every paper. That time was due to being too low near the bottom. I have just scanned all of my pages with having 4 PP pages on one pieces of paper to save too many copies. Reason is I have too many pages with Thai stamps. Most go down and leave less than an inch (2 cm) of clear white, but what is the norm that CM immigration or other offices need to put their rectangular stamp over your signature? If I'm off I can just see and hear the Mrs. face and voice of not being pleased that the officer will not be pleased. Honestly it is always some little thing every year.

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Immigration is not concerned with number of copies AFAIK.  You should have only one double passport page near centered per copy - plenty of room to sign below the print.  

I sign all such documents (same at bank) on the actual document wherever there is a space big enough for my full signature (meaning on the copy of the document), not below it on the white space / border.

Why, years back an Imm. officer told me this is the preferred method / place to sign then it's more specifically 'attached' to the document in question.

I always do it like this, never been queried.  

Edited by scorecard

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I sign all such documents (same at bank) on the actual document wherever there is a space big enough for my full signature (meaning on the copy of the document), not below it on the white space / border.

Why, years back an Imm. officer told me this is the preferred method / place to sign then it's more specifically 'attached' to the document in question.

Been signing in space below for several decades and never had immigration question it at any office in Bangkok.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, but as lopburi3 said he thinks it should only be 1 double passport page per copy. I have 2 double per sheet so this is where I was asking about the space. I have had multiple page copies on one sheet before, but it is always different per IO. This time I just did not space them closer away from the bottom.

So you are saying it can be directly smack on the copied portion of the stamps? I remember I have done the same thing, but also remember onetime they wanted it on the white. Last year it was signing all in black in and had to do it again.  

10 minutes ago, seajae said:

our immigration office  stamp all the photo copies for my yearly extension and you have to sign inside the stamp on the line provided, much easier 

Yes same. But in the past the IO would place their stamp over the pre-signed signature and I cannot remember if it was needed to really have a clear bottom as now I have copied 4 pages on to the paper.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes, but as lopburi3 said he thinks it should only be 1 double passport page per copy. I have 2 double per sheet so this is where I was asking about the space. I have had multiple page copies on one sheet before, but it is always different per IO. This time I just did not space them closer away from the bottom.

So you are saying it can be directly smack on the copied portion of the stamps? I remember I have done the same thing, but also remember onetime they wanted it on the white. Last year it was signing all in black in and had to do it again.  

No I'm not suggesting sign over the top of actual stamps, in fact I quote from below which is actually a cut and paste of my post:

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

To be clear I mean sign in a space that free of typing or stamps.

I have submitted scans / copy documents which have 2 pp pages on one page but no more than 2, for 3 plus decades, never been queried. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No I'm not suggesting sign over the top of actual stamps, in fact I quote from below which is actually a cut and paste of my post:

To be clear I mean sign in a space that free of typing or stamps.

I have submitted scans / copy documents which have 2 pp pages on one page but no more than 2, for 3 plus decades, never been queried. 

I understand what you are saying. I will do it the same again this year which is identical to what you were saying. As long as signature and their rectangular IO stamp does not fall on the writing of the Thai PP stamp then should be good to go. There is enough room. thank you.

I understand what you are saying. I will do it the same again this year which is identical to what you were saying. As long as signature and their rectangular IO stamp does not fall on the writing of the Thai PP stamp then should be good to go. There is enough room. thank you.

I had to resign a few pages at CM this year because I pre signed too large and it exceeded the stamp size. She didn’t seem to care as to where the signature was.

At Jomtien, they want 1 image per page, period. You sign directly below the image, whether that ends up being halfway down the page or 3/4s or whatever.

I tried to save paper by doing 2 sided copies - ended up wasting paper as I had to redo them so that each scanned image was on a separate page.

I've asked (in the past) where they wanted me to sign (thinking they might want it somewhere on the scanned image, especially if the image has a signature on it so that the 2 could be easily compared) and they've always pointed to directly below the image. (It's the same thing at the bank and pretty much every where else I've gone where I've had to submit photocopies - they've all wanted the signature directly below the image.)

Been doing it that way for a couple few years now and never have a problem.

But as we already know (or should by now) - every Immigration office has its own set of rules and procedures and preferences so whatever one person experiences at one office won't necessarily be the same as what someone else will experience at a different office. Sometimes it won't even be the same experience for 2 people at the same office if they each interact with a different IO.

At Jomtien, they want 1 image per page, period. You sign directly below the image, whether that ends up being halfway down the page or 3/4s or whatever.

I tried to save paper by doing 2 sided copies - ended up wasting paper as I had to redo them so that each scanned image was on a separate page.

I've asked (in the past) where they wanted me to sign (thinking they might want it somewhere on the scanned image, especially if the image has a signature on it so that the 2 could be easily compared) and they've always pointed to directly below the image. (It's the same thing at the bank and pretty much every where else I've gone where I've had to submit photocopies - they've all wanted the signature directly below the image.)

Been doing it that way for a couple few years now and never have a problem.

But as we already know (or should by now) - every Immigration office has its own set of rules and procedures and preferences so whatever one person experiences at one office won't necessarily be the same as what someone else will experience at a different office. Sometimes it won't even be the same experience for 2 people at the same office if they each interact with a different IO.

There goes another Rain Forrest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Immigration is not concerned with number of copies AFAIK.  You should have only one double passport page near centered per copy - plenty of room to sign below the print.  

At Jomtien, I was one occasion sent to the shop for new copies because I'd used both sides of an A4 sheet. This after years of doing just that. It may have been the IO on that particular day, but now I do two open passport copies (4 pages) on one side of each sheet. No doubt on some future visit I'll be told to use both sides.

Edited by jesimps

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

At Jomtien, I was one occasion sent to the shop for new copies because I'd used both sides of an A4 sheet. This after years of doing just that. It may have been the IO on that particular day, but now I do two open passport copies (4 pages) on one side of each sheet. No doubt on one future visit I'll be told to use both sides.

I have never done this as I expected the person checking the paperwork would be irritated having to turn the sheets over. It also prevents them sorting them into the order they like. (I have watched them, it seems important to them.). I have run sheets of paper through the copier multiple times though so that 2 items appear on one sheet, same side. It was accepted. 

I've always signed photocopies across the actual document deeming in unusable for any other purpose.  I'm not the trusting type.  Never had a problem signing this way.

The problem signing in white space is that your signature can be cut off without damaging the copy.

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I single page stamped pages and print 4 empties on each other page. I strike 2 parallel lines from the print to blank space and sign between. No issues. Tip was from my Patent Attorney friend ????

58 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

There goes another Rain Forrest!

Seriously !
The Jomtien off recycles some paper already (like what they use for the 90 day notification slips). You'd think that using double-sided photocopies, or having more than one image on a page, would be the preferred way to go.

Immigration recently announced that they are doing away with the TM.6 because of the (warehouses ?) full of old forms they have no idea what to do with. (The information should have been digitally scanned and then the forms shredded and recycled. I imagine part of the problem is the 10s of thousands of those they get each and every day, from all over the country, and not enough people to process them all as it is so they end up in a warehouse somewhere.)

And it is pretty redundant to have to make the same photocopies of the same images, year after year after year. I can see making a new copy if something has changed (like you move or get a new passport). 
But more many people on yearly Extensions, most of the stuff they have to submit is exactly the same as what they submitted the previous year, and the year before that (and so on).
I mean sheesh - I have a 10 year passport and no plans on moving from my current address, but every year I have to submit photocopies of the same "face page" and the page should where my Visa and other stamps were transferred from the previous passport, as well as photocopies of the same TM.6, the same address verification, etc, etc,

Most of that information should be sitting in their database already to begin with. For example, I don't need to re verify my address every time I do a 90 day report (but we used to have to do that) but for some dumb reason, if I go to the same office to get a "Certificate of Residence" I have to prove (again) that I'm still living in the same place I've been in for 7(+) years now and then have to re-verify that address again when I do my yearly extension. 

Really, all you should need (when you go to do your Extension) is the application form, the bank letter and copy of your updated bank book (which, theoretically, could be on the back of the bank letter but I suspect most expats would have problems trying to do that).

When you fill out the application, they could have a declaration that all of your information is still valid. They put your passport on the scanner and your file comes up. It would show your details, which could be updated as required, and they could enter the new dates for your Extension. By rights, they could probably process your Extension and stamp your passport in 10 minutes (for most people but there will still be those that will cause problems for one reason or another). That would be (slightly) slower than the Immigration queues at Suvarnabhumi ! (Just kidding - don't sue me !)

Last week I had to do a 90 Day report. I had travelled out of the country since my previous report (so I had a new TM.6) and I also had a new passport. I handed it to the IO and let him know it was a new passport and TM.6.
He looked at the page where my stamps had been transferred (at the same office in fact). Looked at the TM.6. Entered something in his computer (my name I'm guessing). Updated my file with the new passport number and TM.6 number. Printed a new Notification slip and told me my next date and I was on my way. 
Took maybe 3 minutes in total.

When I arrived in Canada last summer I went to the electronic kiosk where I scanned my passport then answered a couple questions on the screen. It spits out a slip of paper and you take that to the entrance to the luggage areas where there were 2 (just 2) CBSA officers (Border Safety) sitting on stools. You hand them your slip, they glance at it, maybe ask you a couple questions, hand you the slip back and off you go.

Get your luggage, head for the exit. Get to the lines where the Customs guys with the dogs are waiting. Hand your slip to the officer and walk out the door. (I'm guessing your luggage has already been x-rayed so as long as the dogs don't react you barely even slow down as you head for the exit).
Way better than how they used to do things, which could result in taking nearly 2 hours to get out of the airport on some days.

Many of the functions at Immigration could be streamlined and more efficient which would not only make things faster (obviously) but would greatly reduce the amount of paper needed (and the number of warehouses needed to store all that paper) !
Would make things a lot easier for all the expats as well. Not that anyone cares about us - except for some bar owners (maybe) and some veterinarians that specialize in curing sick buffalo. 

Give it another 15-20 years and see how things are then. Of course, if you listen to some people, there won't be any expats left by then. (I don't know how it is at other Immigration offices but I have noticed at Jomtien that the vast majority - probably 98-99% are "white". It is very rare to see an Indian, Arab or an Asian (or African for that matter) at Immigration for almost any reason. Maybe they are the ones keeping all the "agents" gainfully employed ?

And F F S - SHOWER and wear CLEAN clothes when you go to Immigration. Have SOME pride in your appearance for the RARE times you don't have a bar stool semi-permanently glued to your @55.
Standing in line last week waiting for the doors to open and another guy shows up and stands behind me. Immediately lights up a cigarette (because you know, **** everyone else in the area) and even through the smoke I could smell his BO. 
So of course when you get to the counter, the first thing the IO notices is the smell and he doesn't realize it's coming from the guy behind you (until you've gone and that guy is next which is too late).

I seriously wonder about some of the expats that come here to live.