2012 Honda Click 125 Valve Check/Adjustment

Talltuktuk

In Cambodia but asking here because I know they use the Click in Thailand. I bought my Click secondhand. It has 30k on the clock and I want to have the intake & exhaust valves checked for factory specs and adjusted if necessary. I took it to a Honda dealership and they listened to it and said it doesn’t need it. I told them I didn’t care what it sounded like, I wanted it checked for factory specs and adjusted if necessary. They then told me I needed another part (not sure what it is, see pic) to stop the noise but that it wasn’t an important part. Again I told them (using a native translator and pictures of valves being checked and adjusted) that I wanted this done. They said it was totally unnecessary and there was nothing wrong with the bike. I also told them I wanted it done with the engine cold (as is the proper way) and they told me the would do it with the engine hot. Now I understand that to them, I’m a crazy person trying to have a running bike fixed. Everyone here drives their bikes into the ground and doesn’t understand the idea of preventative maintenance. But I’m from the US and have been working on bikes and cars for a long time. I want things done the right way. I go to Honda instead of local shops because I want the bike fixed to factory standards. And usually they don’t disappoint. But today I’m literally trying to hand them business and they don’t want to do it. Any insight is appreciated, even if you’re telling me I’m crazy. 

40A87304-1F71-4BE5-A0BB-00E7C0018BAD.jpeg

86D9F4C6-702F-437B-B83B-9CE2300DDDA2.jpeg

Go to a place that will do what you want the way you want it done...no point arguing with a shop that clearly doesn't want your business.

The part could be a cam chain tensioner..with a piece missing ?
If it is the tensioner then its an important part.

You are overthinking things.

Cam chains on these little Hondas start getting noisy ish around 40-50k kms.

I have never seen one break.

I see regularly these motors with 100k kms on them, the head has never been off, and the valves have been adjusted once, max twice.

You'll know when the valves need adjusting, once the bike is easier to kick start, and there is a comp loss.

Basically, the valves have worn into the seats, and the adjusters are keeping them slightly open and off the seats..... You still won't break them.

They are the cockroach of motorcycle engines, in a nuclear apocalypse....

Worst case scenario is a burnt out ex valve, but virtually unheard of.

The biggest thing in maintenance is 2k, max 3k kms oil changes.

The motors will last forever. Well, over a 100k kms before looking inside.

Go with what your local shop is saying.

I had the problem to get the valves checked on my PCX a while ago.

Everybody told me that it's not needed, and if i insisted they told me they can't do it (Honda dealerships with work shop, not some small mechanic).

After asking around i was finally able to find a shop which agreed to do it. They had to disassemble most of the bike to do it, took them about 2 hours with 2 mechanics. The bill was 200 something THB, i guess Honda sets the prices for such work. I assume that most shops are not interested in doing it because they don't make money from it.

Ask at different shops, until one shop agrees to do it. Or you could try offering an extra 100 or 200 THB, this might change their mind.

I agree. they don't want to do it because it is too much work with too little money. It's really a pain in the ass to do in a scooter since you have to remove all the plastics cover. Adjusting the valves is so easy though, it is accessing it that will waste a lot of time. 

This is just a 15 min task on other bikes where the valves are easily accessible. 

Maybe you could try to tell them that you are willing to pay more for it?

3 years old PCX and i haven't done my valves yet as well..

3000 baht for total engine rebuild after it run out of oil x 2   that's the other thing about those plastic covered scooters  you cant see the oil leaking out...and the girly driving it doesn't want to get her hands dirty on a dipstick ! :w00t:

1933359267_IMG_20150901_165050(Medium).jpg.e385070e97cc97e38fa5c0300ba372d6.jpg

785250992_IMG_20150901_165718(Medium).jpg.b7d2f812725fb2fa867878c2f46240f4.jpg

I think there was a problem with translation concerning the part in your picture. There is probably some wear on the part but it doesn't require immediate replacement. Personally, I think the mechanics response was honest and not about his not wanting the work or the money. A good mechanic can diagnose power train issues just by listening. Being from the US myself, a US dealer would have done what you asked, but probably would suggest other parts or services you don't actual need.

That part in your picture appears to be a tensioner for the timing chain. This part is essentially a spring and it supplies a specific amount of tension on the timing chain. There is no manual adjustment here.

To adjust the valves a measurement is taken and a specific shim is ordered from Honda to bring the gap into specifications. You can tell when this is needed by a subtle change in the sound of your exhaust. What is happening is unburnt hydrocarbons are igniting in the exhaust. This sound is different than running rich which is essentially the same thing.  I highly doubt that you need this.

7 minutes ago, matthew777 said:

To adjust the valves a measurement is taken and a specific shim is ordered from Honda to bring the gap into specifications.

Are you sure a Honda Click uses shims ?   if so that may explain the reluctance to adjust the valves ...shims are a pain in the bum !

12 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

They just can't be bothered with having to order shims from Bangkok.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, matthew777 said:

To adjust the valves a measurement is taken and a specific shim is ordered from Honda to bring the gap into specifications.

FOR THE LOVE GOD !!!

Just stop it NOW!

I can't take it anymore!

Stop giving out misinformation!

So i just ran Google images to double check. Took all of 30 seconds.

There is even a YT tutorial specifically on Click valve clearances and adjustment fer chrissakes.

All these auto scooters inc the Click run tappets (rockers) with ADJUSTERS and LOCKNUTS.

No shims were abused in the production of the valve adjustment scene.

Jesus.

184845571_phonephotostosept2017011.JPG.4bbd111bd4c5a9faf3274ae11f158bb4.JPG

When I did the shims on my bike..the numbers etched onto the shims where all wrong,someone had sanded down the shims !

caused me a headache  as I didn't at first have anything to accurately measure the actual thickness and then use the chart to work out what shim was needed.

1933477943_valvechart.jpg.d4dcf9a350fd9d43cbff1279cfe44917.jpg

Take a deep breath tg.   Many "mechanics" dont have the skill or feeler gauges , or both , to do a simple screw and nut adjustment. On a hot engine too. Good idea to have the valves checked , but finding someone who can really do it "right" is difficult. 

4 hours ago, johng said:

When I did the shims on my bike..the numbers etched onto the shims where all wrong,someone had sanded down the shims !

caused me a headache  as I didn't at first have anything to accurately measure the actual thickness and then use the chart to work out what shim was needed.

1933477943_valvechart.jpg.d4dcf9a350fd9d43cbff1279cfe44917.jpg

Can we STOP TALKING ABOUT SHIMS on a Click valve clearance thread!

Please!

There are'nt ANY shims!!!

We have established this now.

You are confusing the OP or anybody reading this who is mechanically DIS-INCLINED!!!

I have seen valves adjusted in Thai bike shops but I have never seen feeler gauges used.

Generally the way it is done is to get the most long serving spanner monkey to pull the rocker arm up and down while adjusting until it makes an approved clack, clack, clack noise.

I am not endorsing such a process but it is what I have seen.   

Archived